Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An Investigation about God

Hi to all. I just finished my evening meditation and instead of going to bed, I decided to take a walk since its already spring and the temperature is just quite right. Suddenly something came out from nowhere about God.

I know some buddhist may or may not believe in the creator God, In the same token I sometimes think that some people in three major religions does not believes in God as well. This may arise depending on experience, motivation, thinking etc.
Maybe it is a personal preference.

But what my mind gearing me is to look deeply how things unfolded to people, from being a believer of God to a non believer and vice versa. Is God really don't exist? or we just stop believing that there is God. I know for some people, they cannot comprehend life with out something to cling on (like God), that there is somebody up there taking care of them, loving them. It's there only "just reason" to keep it life moving.

Others maybe realized that there is no God at all, that it doesn't makes sense, that it is better to live life entirely on our own best knowledge what is good and what make sense. But for some maybe they just stop believing Him because of what painful experience they had in the past. They know He is there, but they just ditch God on the side and take matters on their own hands.

I could be wrong, but I believe that believing whether there is God or not is embedded in our beings. We don't have to put logic why to believe or not. It is just there and our being knows it from this life or the previous.

As a practicing buddhist, my being come to a platform that believing in the creator God or not isn't important. What is important at the present moment, the here and now is how to deal with suffering. Any thoughts? Thanks.

yagr

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I like that you're thinking about it.

But I think a person who believes in a particular concept of God will look at suffering in a very different way than a Buddhist.

mockeymindyagr
  • mockeymindmockeymind Veteran
    edited May 2015

@vinlyn But I think a person who believes in a particular concept of God will look at suffering in a very different way than a Buddhist.

For some suffering is a result of defiance to God, which I believe God has nothing to do with it. I look at suffering as a result of karma, a natural order things. In suffering there is a tremendous power to know ones strength and wisdom, with right view this is can also be a path to freedom.

When we flip our view towards it, it no longer much like suffering, but an opportunity.

Shoshin

I'm not speaking for myself. Just pointing out what many Christians would think -- that God will cure their suffering.

Generally speaking, I don't think God is a micromanager.

mockeymind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I don't believe in a god, at least not as presented by the Jew-Christian tradition.
    The notion never made sense, never added up.
    It is precisely in the face of suffering that I believe even less, because if a God who loves you can't stop the world from suffering, he can't be almighty, so what do I need him for?
    And if he really exists and allows for suffering to happen, then he can't love you that much.

One of my Christian friends prays all the time.
    When her prayers get fulfilled, it was the will of God.
    When they don't, it was the will of God.
    If dukkha is going to take place independently of God answering your prayers or not, why not eliminate the middleman?

I don't need to find an explanation to the origin of the universe in order to be happy.
    Dependent origination is enough of an explanation to me.
    It is by working on the 4 NT and the N8P, that dukkha will cease.
    And no God-notion will see me out of dukkha: I have to tread the path myself.
    I always say "God needs us, but we don't need God."
    Not at least, if we are strong and resilient enough to stand on our own two feet.
    Some people have God, I have Buddhadharma.

Rowan1980Walkerdantepw
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Today I think..

God is just us. We are all of God. We all represent the other.
    Nothing needing to be embraced, ignored or rejected.
    Trusting God to do something, or not, is like the hubris of one cell of our body trusting us to do something, or not.
    No deification of God or ourselves required.
    Any separation or connectedness between ourselves, others or God resides with the beholder.

Tosh

@DhammaDragon said:

One of my Christian friends prays all the time.
    When her prayers get fulfilled, it was the will of God.
    When they don't, it was the will of God.

And that's the biggest issue I have with the typical Christian view of God. If he's going to do whatever he wants, why should anyone pray?

Rowan1980Buddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@mockeymind said:
    As a practicing buddhist, my being come to a platform that believing in the creator God or not isn't important. What is important at the present moment, the here and now is how to deal with suffering. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like a plan. Cod or God not required. Phew one less thing to worry about ... B)

yagrmockeymind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

I think God is a comforting fiction. But what do we want, is it truth or comfort?

Nave650
  • yagryagr Veteran

I have a very detailed belief system pertaining to the existence and manifestation of this thing called God.

Developing that very detailed belief system pertaining to the existence and manifestation of this thing called God has yielded no beneficial results as far as I can tell.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@mockeymind
    From a personal view point, a belief in a creator god with all the trappings that tend to go with such a belief,( I'm on about the Abrahamic religions points of view) would serve no beneficial purpose whatsoever when it comes to practising the BuddhaDharma...I feel it would be just more excess baggage to contend with....

This is how I personally see a god-centric belief that has become attached to Buddhist practice, others may take great comfort in holding such beliefs...whatever floats ones raft ( and keeps it afloat) I guess...

Buddhadragon
  • There is a person who asked a buddhist if he believes in God or not.
    The buddhist replied, well what is God to you?

And the person answered,
    God is peace, merciful, compassionate, kind, loving, generous etc.

The buddhist smiled and said, Those are some of the qualities that we are developing in
    the practice, would that makes us a believer in God?

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran
    edited May 2015

God = good? Not all believe in "good". My son boggled my mind when suggesting that chaos only evolved because order has evolved in this universe. Without order, there would not be so much chaos. Without good, there would not be so much evil?

4NT: Life entails suffering (evil)

Good = the N8P?

I have no evidence that the N8P will work for me. But I have faith that it will reduce overall suffering if I incorporate it into my daily life. That's why I say I believe - and I use the words "in a power greater than me" as this seems to have less associations than the word "God". But guess this is contrary to Buddhist beliefs too - that there is some power greater than me?

“There comes a time, bhikkhus, when after the lapse of a long period this world contracts (disintegrates). While the world is contracting, beings for the most part are reborn in the Abhassara Brahma-world. There they dwell, mind-made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And they continue thus for a long, long period of time.

“But sooner or later, bhikkhus, after the lapse of a long period, there comes a time when this world begins to expand once again. While the world is expanding, an empty palace of Brahma appears. Then a certain being, due to the exhaustion of his life-span or the exhaustion of his merit, passes away from the Abhassara plane and re-arises in the empty palace of Brahma. There he dwells, mind made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And he continues thus for a long, long period of time.

“Then, as a result of dwelling there all alone for so long a time, there arises in him dissatisfaction and agitation, (and he yearns): ‘Oh, that other beings might come to this place!’ Just at that moment, due to the exhaustion of their life-span or the exhaustion of their merit, certain other beings pass away from the Abhassara plane and re-arise in the palace of Brahma, in companionship with him. There they dwell, mind-made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And they continue thus for a long, long period of time.

“Thereupon the being who re-arose there first thinks to himself: ‘I am Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Vanquisher, the Unvanquished, the Universal Seer, the Wielder of Power, the Lord, the Maker and Creator, the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be. And these beings have been created by me. What is the reason? Because first I made the wish: “Oh, that other beings might come to this place!” And after I made this resolution, now these beings have come.’

“And the beings who re-arose there after him also think: ‘This must be Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Vanquisher, the Unvanquished, the Universal Seer, the Wielder of Power, the Lord, the Maker and Creator, the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be. And we have been created by him. What is the reason? Because we see that he was here first, and we appeared here after him.’

“Herein, bhikkhus, the being who re-arose there first possesses longer life, greater beauty, and greater authority than the beings who re-arose there after him.

“Now, bhikkhus, this comes to pass, that a certain being, after passing away from that plane, takes rebirth in this world. Having come to this world, he goes forth from home to homelessness. When he has gone forth, by means of ardour, endeavour, application, diligence, and right reflection, he attains to such a degree of mental concentration that with his mind thus concentrated he recollects his immediately preceding life, but none previous to that. He speaks thus: ‘We were created by him, by Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Vanquisher, the Unvanquished, the Universal Seer, the Wielder of Power, the Lord, the Maker and Creator, the Supreme Being, the Ordainer, the Almighty, the Father of all that are and are to be. He is permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change, and he will remain the same just like eternity itself. But we, who have been created by him and have come to this world, are impermanent, unstable, short-lived, doomed to perish.’

~ http://www.bps.lk/olib/mi/mi017-p.html, paras 39-44

As I understand it, this is a "false view":

“This, bhikkhus, the Tathagata understands. And he understands: ‘These standpoints, thus assumed and thus misapprehended, lead to such a future destination, to such a state in the world beyond.’ He understands as well what transcends this, yet even that understanding he does not misapprehend. And because he is free from misapprehension, he has realized within himself the state of perfect peace. Having understood as they really are the origin and the passing away of feelings, their satisfaction, their unsatisfactoriness, and the escape from them, the Tathagata, bhikkhus, is emancipated through non-clinging.

~ ibid para 51

Not sure whether I've got this right or not :confused: ... but I do love the simplicity of Christianity:

1. Love God
    2. Love your neighbour as yourself

Perhaps Buddhism is just 2? But I'm guessing not ... my impression is that it's a whole lot more than that.

@Earthninja said:> I think the issue is that humans create an image of god through their minds. We know our minds create all sorts of fantasy beliefs.....

Yes, I think there is a lot of this going on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Earthninja
    edited May 2015

@mockeymind said:> And the person answered,
    God is peace, merciful, compassionate, kind, loving, generous etc.

People have many different conceptions of "God", everything from hard-core Abrahamic monotheism through to nice woolly pantheism, which is sort of theism-lite or in some cases closet atheism. ;)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I think everyone needs to learn how to forgive their god(s). And for my money, that forgiveness comes through practice.

By "forgive their gods," I mean that anyone interested in spiritual endeavor (or even not) begins with beliefs and concepts. It's not good or bad, it's just a lifelong habit to believe and conceive and explain and find meaning.

Beliefs and concepts are items that separate individuals from what they believe or conceive ... man from god, this from that, holy from unholy, etc. So the very technique used to draw things together and disperse doubt actually holds them at bay and foments doubt.

OK, pick your god, pick your concept, pick your path to relief and salvation. How else is anyone to set foot on the path? Never mind guys like the old Zen teacher Obaku who would excoriate the "concepts" and "beliefs" his student monks might ask him about. Everyone begins at the beginning. So ... concepts and beliefs ... god, money, one-night stands, intellectual prowess.

In practice, concepts and beliefs inspire at first and only later create nooses of sorrow and confusion. Practice -- my preference is meditation -- nourishes a body of experience that has less and less truck with that which separates or distinguishes or doesn't separate or doesn't distinguish. Experience is fershur where beliefs and concepts, no matter how gussied up they may be, invariably shudder like aftershocks in Nepal.

Bit by bit, practice after practice, the willingness and capability to forgive the gods of the past grows up. It's OK ... how, save through foolishness, could anyone establish their wisdom? So it seems to me we can bless the gods we've chosen even if we learn a thing or two about relying on them.

If any of that makes much sense.

silverlobsterEarthninja
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    There are a few ways an ultimate being or just ultimate being can make sense to me.

None of those lead to a universal creator though.

I'm like an omnitheist sometimes whereas I can see every god that was ever imagined to exist existing on some level.

I do enjoy exploring these avenues even if they turn out to be nothing more than happy distractions.

Telling me not to ponder the great mystery is like telling me not to smell the roses.

Or eat some forbidden fruit
    silverEarthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@yagr said:
    I have a very detailed belief system pertaining to the existence and manifestation of this thing called God.

Developing that very detailed belief system pertaining to the existence and manifestation of this thing called God has yielded no beneficial results as far as I can tell.

Dear @yagr: you have very elegantly and succintly explained my own definiton of God.

yagrHamsaka
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Most people I know with a strong Christian belief in God don't even really believe they are suffering. It is all God's will, and no matter how much they do suffer, they refuse to acknowledge it as such because all is God's will and will have a good outcome (heaven) no matter what.
    Also, just an observation, but most people I know are very distracted by God. Their religious practices and belief in God is a huge distraction from reality and I think that is part of why they cling so strongly. They have moments of what they refer to as "weakness" when they feel a sense of injustice (loved one dies of cancer, or whatever) but they correct quickly and go back to their "God is good. We don't always know His ways, but we don't have to because He loves us" way of thinking.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    @mockeymind When living in this world, this samsara, it is not a bad thing to have a good relation to a deity. Practicing uttaraloka dhamma there is no need. If you want a reference try mn117.

Good luck.
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

My fear of the existence of a God propelled me to search for truth, I knew even if I stopped believing in one it doesn't mean a creator doesn't exist, and I didn't know which God exists, whether it was the Christian God or the Muslim God, I eventually I found the Buddha and his teachings, I discovered the teaching of Anatta, and my worries and fear melted away, I discovered that there is not a self to be found, therefore no soul, and no God, it was through directly seeing for myself.

It is funny when i think about how it all started for me, I heard a family member say about someone, so and so is a God fearing man, and I think to myself well if he was so afraid of a God then that fear should have made him want to search for truth, to see if there is such a thing.

EarthninjaHamsaka
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I knew from an early age I couldn't worship the cruel and vindictive God of Abraham and Job, even if he was real. It always puzzled me how such a being could love you, and then condemn you to eternal torture for refusing to worship him. These issues, and hypocrisy in the various churches I ran across made me turn to atheism for a long time, and caused a general loathing of Christianity in me. I now view this as a hindrance, and am working on "forgiving my god", though I'm not sure that's exactly what @genkaku meant.

My beliefs contrast sharply with my fiancee, who is Wiccan and believes that the "universe loves her". Though she does not worship one deity in particular, she believes that she can appeal to the universe (in the form of various deities, or perhaps archetypes) for aid in troubled times. This seems to be the sort of "God" that the original poster is referring to. However, I believe in an uncaring universe that regards me not, and has no sentience or feelings about what becomes of my life. To be honest, I'm not sure how this squares with the numerous deities and boddhisatvas that exist in Buddhist belief. I think a man like Stephen Batchelor would agree with my world view, but I don't necessarily think the Dalai Lama would. However, I also believe that it really doesn't matter to the end game - overcoming dukkha.

JeffreyBuddhadragonRowan1980Hamsaka

Nicely written, nakazcid.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Nakazcid said: ...the numerous deities and boddhisatvas that exist in Buddhist belief....

I think, as far as I have been made to understand, that these are representations of specific qualities, rather than solid, 'in-their-own-right' deities themselves....

lobsterShoshinRowan1980Hamsaka
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@federica said:
    I think, as far as I have been made to understand, that these are representations of specific qualities, rather than solid, 'in-their-own-right' deities themselves....

Mind training tools so to speak :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@nakazcid said:

My beliefs contrast sharply with my fiancee, who is Wiccan and believes that the "universe loves her".

It it her who 'loves the universe' through the intermediary of deities. The Tantrists do something similar. The difference is in Buddhist Tantra the deities are visualised and dismissed as skilful and temporary conjugations ... mmm ... not so different from 'the Wyrding Way' B)

OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA (Buddhist Gal Power)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

My teacher believes that the universe comes to us from its own side as part of the refuge. So awakening is the nature of the universe rather than a funny thing random happening in smarter chimps.

DavidShoshin

@federica said:> I think, as far as I have been made to understand, that these are representations of specific qualities, rather than solid, 'in-their-own-right' deities themselves....

I met a lot of Tibetan Buddhists who thought of them as being real.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes. I think it's a bit like the different Realms of Existence..... different PoVs....

Yeah, it's basically traditional v. secular.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I think God is a comforting fiction. But what do we want, is it truth or comfort?

People want both.
    For whatever reason, and I am on the "truth" side of the argument (who's truth) people have a need for meaning and transcendence, something beyond this mortal coil. The plain truth that we are evolved creatures living in a very uncaring universe is too hard a proposition for most.
    In terms of truth, what is considered truth in terms of one's life?
    "as you think so you become" that is truth to me. So I may hold a "comforting fiction" as true, what does it matter if this notion is empirically true as long as it strengthens my life and motivates me? I could believe in rebirth, not falsifiable by any means, and yet this belief may be a springboard to do good works, to be ethical and noble in conduct and in acting this way my life and those around me will benefit.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

You iz liar @Theswingisyellow - that's the truth ... and we haz plan! o:)

As an atheist trancendist, I believe Cod is beyond her own non-existence. A sort of fishyness without scales to weigh The Way.

In other words believe not in what you know, like the Hinayana little wheelies but believe in a Nothing that is full of 'its' emptiness.

Or as the Mahayana paradoxically say, 'Emptiness is form and form is Gone Beyond the Emptiness' ... :hurrah:

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

"GOD" is just a yardstick to measure( or co-opt) the human condition.
    Just imagine how different our history might have been had we
    understood that " God", was just another word for selflessness.

Shoshin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    God exists? I'm not bothered.
    God doesn't exist? I'm not bothered.

We shall see.

My understanding from reading the Dharma is that this is how the Buddha viewed it too.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    The Buddha didn't comment, it's not that he wasn't bothered it's that we all have an arrow in our leg.
    First get the arrow out, then maybe our god questions would have been a answered. :)
    Some people say enlightenment is meeting god. Papaji says God is not the object. God is the subject.
    vinlyn
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    not so different from 'the Wyrding Way' B)

I lol'd. Nice reference :chuffed:

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited May 2015
    Even god goes to the Buddha for wisdom:

"Thus in the [Pali Canon] Kevaddha Sutta he relates how a monk who was puzzled by a metaphysical problem applied to various gods and finally accosted Brahma himself in the presence of all his retinue. After hearing the question, which was "Where do the elements cease and leave no trace behind?"

"Brahma replies, "I am the Great Brahma, the Supreme, the Mighty, the All-seeing, the Ruler, the Lord of all, the Controller, the Creator, the Chief of all, appointing to each his place, the Ancient of days, the Father of all that are and are to be." "But," said the monk, "I did not ask you, friend, whether you were indeed all you now say, but I ask you where the four elements cease and leave no trace." Then the Great Brahma took him by the arm and led him aside and said, "These gods think I know and understand everything. Therefore I gave no answer in their presence. But I do not know the answer to your question and you had better go and ask the Buddha."
    lobsterEarthninjasilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

^^^ @Jayantha wot are those Hinayanists teaching you!

O.o

Is this monk humour? Perhaps propaganda against Hindu superstition replaced with dharma upmanship?

Maybe God is no use for anything? Seems about right ... only for the post-godly ...

As I said to the Buddha only this morning, 'never talk with your mindful' <3

EarthninjaShoshinsilver

@Theswingisyellow said:So I may hold a "comforting fiction" as true, what does it matter if this notion is empirically true as long as it strengthens my life and motivates me?

It matters if one is serious about pursuing the truth.

EarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I am a far cry from a theist and just as much of an atheist but I can argue for either camp depending on my mood.

Concerning the creator deity/first cause argument I can see no evidence of such a thing and much for the contrary.

If there was nothing but God then there must still be nothing but God for where else would the raw materials come from except from God? That's more like an assigning of roles than a creating.

If there was a time of nothing then there was no potential for anything and there would still be nothing.
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@mockeymind said:
    Hi to all. I just finished my evening meditation and instead of going to bed, I decided to take a walk since its already spring and the temperature is just quite right. Suddenly something came out from nowhere about God.

I know some buddhist may or may not believe in the creator God, In the same token I sometimes think that some people in three major religions does not believes in God as well. This may arise depending on experience, motivation, thinking etc.
    Maybe it is a personal preference.

But what my mind gearing me is to look deeply how things unfolded to people, from being a believer of God to a non believer and vice versa. Is God really don't exist? or we just stop believing that there is God. I know for some people, they cannot comprehend life with out something to cling on (like God), that there is somebody up there taking care of them, loving them. It's there only "just reason" to keep it life moving.

Others maybe realized that there is no God at all, that it doesn't makes sense, that it is better to live life entirely on our own best knowledge what is good and what make sense. But for some maybe they just stop believing Him because of what painful experience they had in the past. They know He is there, but they just ditch God on the side and take matters on their own hands.

I could be wrong, but I believe that believing whether there is God or not is embedded in our beings. We don't have to put logic why to believe or not. It is just there and our being knows it from this life or the previous.

-It seems to me believing in a first cause flipper of the switch and being a Buddhist are not necessarily mutually exclusive...

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2015
    @ Spineynorman.
    Who's truth? Good luck in chasing that phantasm , in my experience we all arrive at our own " comforting fiction" and call it truth.

Buddhist practice is about seeing things how they really are, not grasping at comforting truths.

Buddhadragonnakazcid
    Even " seeing things as they really are" is going to be viewed from ones own perspective. The truth being a difficult proposition.
    vinlynKundo
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't predicate my life on sky gods or fairy tales, doing so is asserting that one knows what one does not know and cannot know. I think people come to some sort of conclusion, be it well thought out or not at all. But it is their truth, fanciful, fantastic or grounded in a tough reality.
    "If a person has conviction, his statement, 'This is my conviction,' safeguards the truth. But he doesn't yet come to the definite conclusion that 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.' To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. I describe this as the safeguarding of the truth. But it is not yet an awakening to the truth."
    Canki Sutta from Access to Insight
    To me the 4NTs are really the truth, but there are obviously many folks who wouldn't agree with me.
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

it's always interesting to me how countries cling to their supposed moral codes, and then practice such immoral things on a regular basis. Yet they (individuals as well as country identities as a whole) don't see them as conflicting at all.

silverTheswingisyellow

Very true, @karasti. But I also see that happening with the 5 Precepts.

I think it comes down to that few things in life are "easy" or "simple". There are complexities that muddy the waters.

When I was principal, we had a faculty advisory council. It was very interesting to watch how the teachers operated. Amazing how even with dealing with children there was very much a crime and punishment attitude. And if something came up where there wasn't already a "rule", they wanted to add a new rule. There was an inability to relax and an obsession with control. Sorta like most religions. And then there was an obsession with following the rules to the letter, even when it made no sense. I remember that the faculty advisory council developed an Honor Code when I was vice principal. Overall it was good, but a little heavy on the punishment side of things. One day a teacher (who I later decided was Asperger) turned the first child in under the new honor code...a boy named Jerome. He swore up and down that he wasn't cheating. The teacher swore up and down that he was. Convicted! The boy got a zero and it went on his record, but it ruined his 2 years of junior high. A couple years later, the faculty advisory council was reviewing the Honor Code (wanting to make it tougher!), and the same teacher recalled Jerome's case and said, "I don't really think he was technically cheating. I think he asked the girl next to him for a kleenex. But, if you talk during a test, you are cheating." How I kept my head from exploding, I don't know. But I reamed that teacher out because talking during a test may deserve a consequence, but it is not cheating. But everyone in every society -- including the society of the school -- brings their own baggage to the table.

silverTheswingisyellowKundo

@Theswingisyellow said:> Even " seeing things as they really are" is going to be viewed from ones own perspective. The truth being a difficult proposition.

Sure, it's difficult, but clinging to irrational beliefs like God makes it even more difficult.