Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gay cake row in Northern Ireland

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited May 2015 in General Banter

Christian homophobia challenged again? Personally I think the ruling sends out the correct message, one of zero tolerance on homophobia. Also that Christians and other religious groups aren't above the law, and don't get a free pass on discrimination and bigotry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32791239

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Interesting. We go through this crap in the US day after day. I don't understand why people seem to know discrimination is bad but they hold onto their last thread of it via the gay community. "Just let us have ONE group we can discriminate against, PLEASE? Don't take that away from us!"

Rowan1980
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I figure those that wish the right to discriminate should be the ones discriminated against.

Careful what you wish for!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

Yeah, I'd love to see the strange requests they get now for cake messages! Or maybe they'll retaliate with some of their own messages, like Jesus said: "Love thy neighbour as yourself, but only if they're straight", or "Blessed are the heteros, for they shall populate the earth." ;)

ZenshinRowan1980
  • KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited May 2015

@karasti said:
    Interesting. We go through this crap in the US day after day. I don't understand why people seem to know discrimination is bad but they hold onto their last thread of it via the gay community. "Just let us have ONE group we can discriminate against, PLEASE? Don't take that away from us!"

As many of you know, a number of "religious freedom" laws that would tacitly or in some cases openly allow this sort of discrimination have been enacted in socially conservative states recently. One was introduced in the Georgia Legislature last winter. The legislative leadership, which when forced to choose is more Chamber of Commerce than social conservative, was on the fence. After the national backlash against the Indiana and Arkansas laws, public opposition from the state Chamber of Commerce and some major corporations arose and the leadership buried the bill.

One backer of the bill went so far as to suggest that without it, clergy would be forced to officiate at same sex weddings. Sort of like all those Catholic Priests who are forced to officiate at weddings of divorced people, I guess ;)

I expect another round of this foolishness if the Supreme Court rules in favor of SSM next month.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

You know, before last year, I wasn't aware that most of the world's bakeries were owned by fundamentalist Christians who think selling a gay couple something is the same as blessing their union. At least that's the impression I get from reading the politician's whining about the terrible persecution the Christian bakers are up against.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

As a retired public educator, I look back with pride on 33 years of serving every child and every family that walked through the front door of the schools in which I worked. It didn't matter their religion or race, it didn't matter whether they were gay or straight (and yes, we had some gay teachers, parents, and even kids), it didn't matter whether the parents were obnoxious Neanderthals or brilliant Harvard graduates, it didn't matter whether they were a Latino family living in a 1 bedroom apartment with 3 other families or the Dan Quayle or Strom Thurmond families. They were all welcome.

And now we have a------- who are making a big deal about selling a lump of baked flour.

Honestly, if one is in business, just do business and leave the moralizing out of it.

silverlobsterKennethkarasti
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2015

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn (damnation) it is utterly religulous...Let them all eat cake.... :)

The ego moves in mysterious ways, ways incomprehensible to the rational mind...(So it would seem)

• ShakShak Veteran

If I were gay I would think like to think that I'd rather buy from people who wanted my business. Don't give the fundamentalist assholes your money. Picking and choosing your customers isn't a very sound business model.

Shoshin

Well, @Shak, in some less populated areas there may only be one baker. And, to be honest, at least here in Colorado Springs, when issues like this come up, the Christians flock to the business to show their support.

• ShakShak Veteran

@vinlyn, I'm sure your right when it comes to more rural areas, but I'm also sure there are plenty of struggling start up gay bakers elsewhere that would appreciate the business. I'd bake the damn thing myself if I had to.

LOL. I agree, @Shak. I don't tend to support businesses that take "moral positions", even when those "moral positions" agree with mine, simply because it often backfires.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ good gracious ... makes a change from cake stands I suppose. Just have to be careful with the slicing ... O.o

Rowan1980DairyLamaWalker

@Jeffrey said:
    my step brother and his wife had penis and vagina cakes for their wedding lol (sorry no pic)

Probably baked by Christian bakers!

ShakRowan1980Walker
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Jeffrey said:
    my step brother and his wife had penis and vagina cakes for their wedding lol (sorry no pic)

So @Jeffrey are you saying that the guy (the 'baker' in the link) is a real prick or just acting like one ? :D