Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hinduism to Buddhism and a few other questions (New member also)

Hello everyone! I recently joined (as noted in the title) and I've been (trying) to practice Buddhism for almost a year now. However, when I do say 'practice', I mean it very loosely as I would only meditate and chant mantras.

Some background on me:
I'm of Indian ethnicity and am from a very strict and religious Hindu background, however after turning 12-13 years of age, I turned to Atheism as I didn't see anything going my way after being a devotee for all my life. After I went into college I realized that my world was turning upside down, socially and mentally (but not grade wise thankfully haha), and after a few horrible relationships (one my fault, the other two not in my control) I realized I needed to straighten myself out. I do not believe in a deity, nor will I acknowledge one, but I do acknowledge that meditating does help calm me down after having a stressful episode. I was curious about Buddhism from when I heard that 'Buddhism is similar to Hinduism except they don't pray to deities', however after reading more into it, there's quite a bit more differences than the two.

My question is, how do you view Hinduism being a Buddhist? Do you still follow similar beliefs, or is it completely different?

Also, how exactly did you go about picking which Buddhist practices to follow? What differs Theravada from Mahayana and those two from Vajrayana and Zen? Can one be any of these types of Buddhists and not believe in a deity?

I'd really like to stick and follow one, however I'm a bit confused on how to pick one. Currently I meditate and use mala beads when reciting mantras. One last question, I've been using the mala beads that were passed on from my great grandfather (Hindu), and was wondering if it's any different from using a Buddhist version? I've always seen people who claim they are 'Buddhist' wearing mala beads around and I've grown up with the belief that it is wrong to do so as they are only to use when meditating and/or praying. Does anyone wear mala beads?

I do apologize for the messy background info, I'm in a bit of a rush right now. And I hope you don't mind me asking some questions every now and then! Thanks for the help!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think it safe to say there are some similarities, but Hindus view Kamma and reincarnation/rebirth very differently.
    I think they also see the Buddha as a god, whereas in fact, he refused this title, himself; furthermore, the Buddha taught that even the Gods are mortal and not perfect.

As to selecting a tradition, I avoided doing so for the first 15 years or so. I just studied, listened, read, absorbed, discerned, cogitated, pondered and let things sink in for a while.

After some time, my boots veered off towards Theravada, but I do dip my toe in Tibetan Buddhism now and then, for some minor practices... And that's ok.

I wear a mala bead bracelet, every now and then as a way to keep me skilfully Mindful, but now and then I also go without, once I realise that wearing it is a habit that has lost some effectiveness.
    I recite malas morning and evening.

That's the 'Tibetan buddhist' aspect I tend to follow....

howGuanyin
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

OP, I don't think you have to pick a "school". It's enough to practice the basics: kindness/compassion, non-attachment to ego, the Middle Way and the precepts, and meditation. When you think about it, those should keep you plenty challenged, especially the non-attachment and the precepts. That's pretty much Buddhism in a nutshell, isn't it?

Earthninja
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I think some people pick a school, but more fall into a school.

pegembara
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I'm afraid I don't know near enough about Hinduism to comment on that part.
    Don't feel the need to pick a tradition if you don't want to. Also, none of them require belief in anything. Actually, Buddhism doesn't require anything at all because there is no one to tell you are missing the mark except yourself. Of course, you will run into deity stuff in some of the traditions, but they still don't require belief in them or tell you how to believe in them. They aren't seen in the same way (generally) as God is in other traditions. They are just generally used as a way to invoke certain things within ourselves. There are those who truly believe in them as beings who are out there guiding us, but even then, it's different than most other concepts of gods and other deities.

Buddhist malas are usually 108 beads (though you can get others that are smaller, like wrist malas are usually 27 beads (which of course is 25% of 108). 108 is considered an auspicious number and many times mantras are done for 108 repetitions (but of course that is not a requirement).

Guanyin

@karasti said:
    Actually, Buddhism doesn't require anything at all because there is no one to tell you are missing the mark except yourself.

Oh really? ;)

karasti

LOL ok, there is no one who matters who is telling you what you are doing wrong. If you have a teacher, obviously, that is a bit different. But in any case you have to be willing to see what you are doing wrong and to fix it, not pray to someone else to fix it for you.

@karasti said:
    LOL ok, there is no one who matters who is telling you what you are doing wrong. If you have a teacher, obviously, that is a bit different. But in any case you have to be willing to see what you are doing wrong and to fix it, not pray to someone else to fix it for you.

Yes, this forum has made me realize -- once again -- that the opinions of people I don't respect for their views have no power over me. Of course, that only enhances the power of the views of those whom I do respect.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

For my part, even if I don't agree with someone's views, I NEVER stop respecting their right to hold it.

Earthninja

Of course.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Guanyin

I see the different traditions of Buddhism to just be different facets of one Buddhist jewel.
    There is not one facet of this jewel that is more right or less right, for each facet just reflects different versions of all the others.
    With a study-full circumnambulation of this jewel, the facets that make the most sense to you will simply reveal themselves.
    A Buddhist practice can partake of scriptural study or faith/devotional/service or meditation or any combinations of those three.
    Best of luck in this exploration.

ZenshinGuanyinlobster
  • Thanks for the replies everyone!

@vinlyn said:
    I think some people pick a school, but more fall into a school.

What practices make you 'fall' into a certain school? If possible I'd like to find the best one for me so I can try to do the 'right' practices.

The mala I have that was passed down has 108 beads and today I recited the 'Om ami dewa hrih' and 'Om tare tuttare ture soha' respectively. (However I'm looking into getting another mala from Mala Collective since I don't know any other good sites) Are there any good mantras for anger control or for forgiveness?

For the most part I want to try to 'repent' for what I've done, and I feel that I need to spend at least another year just doing that if that makes sense.

It's not so much a "practice" that makes you "fall into" a school, but an opportunity. For example, I originally fell into identifying with Buddhism because of a long relationship with traveling to Thailand. Therefore, I sort of fell into Theravada Buddhism.

From what I know of Zen and a few other schools, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable with them had I visited countries where they were dominant. So I probably would have "looked in from the outside".

Guanyin
  • What are the identifying factors/practices that differ from one type of Buddhism to another? I don't have any background really in Buddhism so i apologize if I'm sounding repetitive.

I originally started looking into a few different religions, Taoism and Shinto, along with Buddhism and re-evaluating Hinduism.

You will, as you go through reading books and reading here and visiting centers (if you can) and other things, probably find yourself drawn to aspects of one more than the others.
    Vajrasattva mantra, aka 100 syllable mantra is a good one for cleansing/purifying. It's long, so you'd want to look it up.

om tare tuttare ture soha is a tantric deity practice, just so you know ;)

Guanyin

Believe it or not, for a very good and fairly balanced overview of the different schools of Buddhism, Wikipedia is very good.

Guanyinlobsterprimrose
  • I read some info on a few sites, including wiki, but the overall gist I got was that Thereavada is more of a 'personal' being whereas Mahayana is more 'all beings' instead of one being. Am I correct in saying this?

My understanding (which can still be incorrect, mind you) is that Theravada focuses on the foundation of Buddhism-limited mostly to what Buddha himself taught. The focus is self-liberation from samsara. Mahayana goes beyond what Buddha taught to include other teachings (but still Buddhism) and is more directed at helping all beings achieve liberation from samsara. Vajrayana is a further extension of Mahayana, being about other beings as well as oneself, and is supposed to be a bit of a faster route (though I'm not sure that makes sense to me, lol)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

you follow one and if you feel it doesn't work for you then try another. you can't break down the differences meaningfully, I feel, in a chart.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @karasti I read the same in a Vajrayana book, I'm wary of anybody who says this is a "faster" route. For what?

I only read that book once. :) sounded so much like spiritual one upmanship .

Plus all the Tantra visualisations and imagination wasn't my thing :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Guanyin said:> What are the identifying factors/practices that differ from one type of Buddhism to another? I don't have any background really in Buddhism so i apologize if I'm sounding repetitive.

This is a good resource: http://www.buddhanet.net/

Are there any local Buddhist groups or centres you could visit?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

Welcome and Hi <3

As we all know the Buddha was a lapsed Hindu (God) - Hari Vishnu and probably the first proto-Vedantist
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedanta

He practiced Raja Yogi but hey 'beggars can't be choosers'.

As a Buddhist who likes a quick burst of elephant devotion
    http://sgforums.com/forums/1728/topics/430983
    it is not unusual for me to wear malas on each wrist, a prayer necklace and other spiritual jewellery. Even the Buddha is depicted with holes in his ear lobes from overdoing the bling in his early hedonism.

As for which form of awakening to follow ... that emerges in time not in a burst of beginners conversion zeal ... ;)

Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha as we mantra mumblers say ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2015

Some believe Buddhism is just another one of the cogs in Hinduism's great wheel...I have been into the homes of many Hindus who have Buddha images all around their house-They seem to 'worship' and see the Buddha as a 'Hindu' god (just one of many)...I should add this was what I was told when I enquired as to why they had Buddha images ...

• @Guanyin said:
    I read some info on a few sites, including wiki, but the overall gist I got was that Thereavada is more of a 'personal' being whereas Mahayana is more 'all beings' instead of one being. Am I correct in saying this?

Hi @Guanyin,
    Here is one account of the difference between them from the Theravada viewpoint. All these divisions are man made. The core message is to be found in the teaching of 4 Noble Truths which includes the Noble 8 Fold Path.

According to Chinese Mahayana there are said to be 84000 doors to liberation. To me that means the 4NT, 8FP and 3 universal characteristics of impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and not self.

These are to be found in the first 2 sermons by the Buddha, Dhammacakkappavattana and Anattalakkhana Sutta.