Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do you consider this beyond Nirvana?

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

no I don't think appreciating of beauty is grasping.

DavidEarthninja
  • There are no Chiquita Bananas. There are no Chiquita Bananas

Chiquita Bananas arise, Chiquita Bananas subside.
    Chiquita Bananas are similar, Chiquita Bananas are different.
    Chiquita Bananas are not unified; Chiquita Bananas are not dualistic,
    Nagarjuna Chiquita.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited May 2015
    Yes, if we accept it all as is, that includes impermanence.

@igor.bayluk;

There has always been the potential for Chiquita bananas.

What was there before there was anything?

The potential for everything.
  • robotrobot Veteran

"The ultimate Truth is beyond words. Doctrines are words. They're not the Way. The Way is wordless. Words are illusions. They're no different from things that appear in your dreams at night, be they palaces or carriages, forested parks or lakeside pavilions. Don't conceive any delight for such things. They're all cradles of rebirth."

This is from "The Zen teachings of Bodhidharma." Red Pine's translation. Nuff said IMO.
    I'm thankful that the likes of Bodhidharma ignored his own advice and gave us his words.

JeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

@jeffery - I love the tao te ching.
    My first favourite verse: 79
    I started "working and growing" from this verse.
    Simple yet profound.
    The same can be said the other way round.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

oh i like 79 too...

Failure is an opportunity.
    If you blame someone else,
    there is no end to the blame.

Therefore the Master
    fulfills her own obligations
    and corrects her own mistakes.
    She does what she needs to do
    and demands nothing of others.

Actually Tao Te Ching was the first (or a main) influence of eastern thought for me when I was in highschool. Buddhism only started for me 5-6 years later after highschool. Just reading it (tao te ching) now as a 38 year old (20 years later) is a treat.

ZenniBuddhadragon
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I'm sure we can all agree that there is nothing beyond nirvana.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    There is no such thing as nothing.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

but is nothing a thing?

• robotrobot Veteran

There is no such nothing as thing.

Earthninja
    Nothing is not, never was, nor will ever be.

There was always potential which could be emptiness but potential is not nothing.

Emptiness is the potential for change.

Nothing is just a handy concept.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Can nothing be negated based on it not being a thing?

David
    edited May 2015
    That's almost my question @Jeffrey...

Should it be dismissed as nothing simply because it takes up no space?

But logically, I am led to believe that if something can ever be called "it" then it is not nothing.

Nothing would include a lack of "itness" and any and all potential for absolutely anything including emptiness (the ability to change) and awareness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

yes I think nothing is not an itness. it couldn't be by definition. it don't know if it could be potential for an itness.

If you said 'nothing' is such and such then it wouldn't be nothing. Right?

emptiness is empty of emptiness. I don't know if it is empty (or full) of itness. good question :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Should I convert to Taoism?
    http://hinessight.blogs.com/church_of_the_churchless/2009/05/zen-minus-buddhism-equals-taoism.html

What will I do with my collection of meditation cushions? :cry:

EarthninjaTheswingisyellowZenni
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

loan them to a cafe

lobsterDavidZenni
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

what is itness? is itness mental? is it real? or like a pile of rocks is real?

• nottwonottwo Explorer

Jeffry hi picture this,,all of "consciouness as the ocean" and percieved individuals as the waves, now imagine the wave has concepts of seperation and harmony or dissharmony duality and non duality,,do you think the wave is seperate,,or its concepts have any truth based on its imagined seperation :)

EarthninjaZenshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

so the wave is itself having a notion of waveness.

• nottwonottwo Explorer

=)

If a wave could imagine that it is separate I would imagine it could have truth to its concepts.

Duality is an illusion until we see through it. Then it is a tool for labeling different aspects of being.

We may not be separate but we are each unique.
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Truth in it's imagined separation? Not in reality. But that's the play of existence right. ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I think a wave could be separate of other waves but not separate of the ocean.

If it is imagining anything then there is something to it.

It's hard to trick the non existent into believing it exists. It's silliness, I tells ya, lol.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

what is truth? is it that which is not refuted? i would think that there is no truth unless there is a mind that can recognize truth.

lobsterDavid
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2015

The Buddha was very pracmatic and his advice is down to earth. No metaphysics here.

"Suppose a person were to gather or burn or do as he likes with the grass, twigs, branches, & leaves here in Jeta's Grove. Would the thought occur to you, 'It's us that this person is gathering, burning, or doing with as he likes'?"

"No, lord. Why is that? Because those things are not our self nor do they pertain to our self."

"In the same way, monks, the eye is not yours: let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term happiness & benefit... The ear... The nose... The tongue... The body... The intellect is not yours: let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term happiness & benefit... Whatever arises in dependence on intellect-contact, experienced either as pleasure, as pain, or as neither-pleasure-nor-pain, that too is not yours: let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term happiness & benefit."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.101.than.html

The question to enquire: Does anything at all belong to "you"? If not the question of anything beyond nirvana doesn't arise.

"Therefore you should train yourselves: 'We will dwell heedfully. We will develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.' That is how you should train yourselves."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.019.than.html

Theswingisyellowbookworm
    edited May 2015
    How does one go about giving a sermon with no tongue?

Maybe we just let go of it until we have to use it to explain why to let it go.

Just being cheeky, sorry.

Or no-cheeky.
    nottwo
  • nottwonottwo Explorer

The disciples were absorbed in a discussion of Lao-tzu's dictum:
    "Those who know, do not say;
    Those who say, do not know."
    When the master entered,
    they asked him what the words meant.
    Said the master, "Which of you knows the fragrance of a rose?"
    All of them indicated that they knew.
    Then he said, "Put it into words."
    All of them were silent.

from One Minute Wisdom by Anthony DeMello

DavidJeffreyEarthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@ourself said:
    How does one go about giving a sermon with no tongue?

Like..... this....?

David
    There is a time to teach Mahakasyapa and there is a time to teach others.

Only one of them got that sermon but eventually through words, Buddha got through to more.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, but at least he knew when to shut up....

:tongue::wink:

David
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, yeah
    federica
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    what is truth? is it that which is not refuted?

<3
    LOL
    Indeed, that is the truth in a nut/lobster shell.

As such it is very difficult to state because refuting is one of the Internets and human foibles. Language fortunately is not only about precision [@federica faints] The Truth is a process of communication that results in no opposition because it does not state absolutes but rather points out directions.

A useful illustration of Right speech is its plainness and simplicity and depth and paradox. Gibbering or cleverness is no part of this process.

... and now back to the beyond ...

Jeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

All this wisdom is making my brain hurt. ;)

Earthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Lettuce all zinggg! :awesome:

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Take it easy on me now, there's nothing more I can do
    I'm so full of what is right, I can't see what is true

From The Color of Right by Rush