Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was The Buddha A Doormat ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

There's often talk amongst Buddhists along the lines of "Just because I'm a Buddhist this doesn't mean I'm a doormat!"
In other words retaliation of some sort is called for when under attack....

This got me 'thinking' ...If the historical Buddha was around today would he be seen as a doormat ? For example would he retaliate when abused verbally or physically ?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh good grief...
    I highly doubt the Buddha didn't understand, or misinterpreted his own teachings!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It is one thing to defend oneself or others. It is another thing entirely to retaliate. There is a big difference between many things that seem similar. Knowing how to differentiate is the key. Is walking away being a doormat? What about staying? When is it ok to ignore someone's obnoxious behavior versus speaking up? It just depends so much on the exact situation and relationships involved.

So often the questions come up as "Someone is being really mean to me/someone at work. Does being a Buddhist mean I can't do anything about it?" And the answer is no. But being a Buddhist means learning how to investigate the situation, which parts each person plays, and determining which action (if any) to take. How to view the situation and any reactions skillfully.

Shoshinlobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I think his cousin tried to kill him. Maybe you can research that story to see how he acted?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    He would retaliate with skillful means and compassion. In the Pali canon there is a story of an angry man abusing the Buddha. The Buddha asked him if when he visited relatives did he take them gifts, when the man affirmed the Buddha asked him that if they refused the gift would he keep them, the man replied yes. The Buddha then told him he did not accept the gift of his anger.

I'm sure someone more familiar with the Nikayas will provide the relevant sutta link.

I can't provide the link, but it is a well-known anecdote.
    It figures in the Sutra of Forty-Two Sections, but I know it must be also somewhere in the Tipitaka.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

I've read it ( @Lonely_Traveller reference) too and I think in Suttas (which I don't generally read)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Jeffrey I'm just thinking out loud... It would seem that the Buddha followed the middle way when dealing with the situation, he practised what he preached

@karasti there's such a thin line between retaliation and just defending oneself that through ignorance it is often crossed... I see your point...

@Lonely_Traveller skilful means can be likened to a sliding scale, what I might see has a skilful non harmful approach (being generous with my acceptance of the given situation), another might not, they might view this approach a being a doormat ...And I might view their approach as being somewhat heavy handed

silver
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

retaliation is usually about one-upping someone though. To react with an intention of bettering them in words or beating them in confrontation. Defense only goes so far (in my mind)as allowing you to exit an unsafe situation or protect yourself from an attack. Not to turn around and be the aggressor yourself. The point as a Buddhist is to be skillful in knowing which choice is the right one for the situation. Not to just take abuse because you have a skewed belief that doing otherwise is bad. There are many ways to disarm someone (whether they are carrying a weapon or just words) without causing them harm in return.

ZenshinHamsakalobster
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2015

For a person who has realised non self, the term doormat doesn't apply. The Buddha would have no reason to stand up for "himself". An apt story would be the zen master who was wrongly accused of fathering a child. His reply, "Is that so?" would seem strange to us thinking why he doesn't he defend himself. A liberated person has nothing to defend and is free from such type of dukkha.

Google Honeyball Sutta on how he handled someone wanting a debate.

ZenshinHamsakalobster
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Words and physical pain wouldn't cause suffering for the Buddha but he would still assert himself if he needed to.

There's that story about a child running towards the snake, the adult had to push the child out the way at the last minute.
    The adult could if been angry at the child or could of maintained inner peace. Either way she still needed to push the child.
    Shoshin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

What if....

Bleah.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

The whole question may be misconceived. Somehow.

Shoshin
    edited May 2015

@how said:
    Shoshin

The word retaliation has a far too loaded meaning to consider it as Buddhist action.
    The practitioner tries to respond only when it's appropriate and not respond when it is not appropriate.
    This means being free enough from our own conditioned proclivities/identity ego/ selfish self, to do something when it's called for, just as other times doing nothing when that is called for.

Being a doormat or being adversarial according to one's nature are good examples of someone being enslaved by their own conditioned programing.

True, at times words can be quite loaded...especially mine :D (Be it unintentional)
    Perhaps appropriate response would be a better term ie, "How would the Buddha have 'responded' ?... 'React' (via habitual habit patterns) or 'act' skilfully (where ones practice kicks in) ?

I think the practice of patience is very important when it comes to dealing with many situations.... it's the buffer zone between skilful and unskilful means... How often have we seen someone fly off the handle only to regret it later or perhaps it's a trait we ourselves are also accustomed to....

I guess by assessing the situation at hand (this is where patience comes in handy) one has a better chance of defusing any potential fiery confrontation...(and perhaps this defusing approach might come in the form of pseudo doormatting ) :)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

You are so together, @Hamsaka. And quite humorous in the process. Love it. Some people (erm, like me) can be very submissive and easily intimidated -- But, I have my moments. Every now and then I can disarm with humor. The Buddha was very together and very talented to start with, not to mention being a prince with an extra cushion of protection that way. He did an amazing thing, but went through the process of making his own mistakes as a young man and in that sense didn't take any short cuts. I only hope this make some sense.

ShoshinHamsaka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I would suggest The Buddha was master of the option. In such a situation the ability to allow emotive forces to dissipate that @Hamsaka describes is usually more skilful.

I would further suggest that the passive condition that @silver mentions is ironed out in practice and time as @genkaku mentions.

Anger, I was furious yesterday, is a hindrance, failing, impediment. It is an unskillful or imperfect response to fear/stress/Dukkha. Fluffy bunny doormat dharma is equally no part of the Middling Way, the averaging out of our sharp burrs or blunt edges ... <3

Hamsaka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@DhammaDragon said: I can't provide the link, but it is a well-known anecdote.

It figures in the Sutra of Forty-Two Sections, but I know it must be also somewhere in the Tipitaka.

I think you mean this one.

(I see @karasti has already supplied. never mind, its confirmation. As Mod, I refuse to be upstaged. That would be acting like a doormat... :tongue: )

silverlobsterkarasti
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

An interesting and insightful set of responses.

Yes, his cousin did try to kill him. Devadatta, through his own ambition and jelousy, became the Buddha's self-declared enemy. Yet, ultimately, the Buddha declare that Devadatta was in fact was a "good friend" in that he had enabled the Buddha to prove the correctness of his teachings. He predicted that even Devadatta would become a Buddha in a future lifetime.

No, the Buddha was definitely not a doormat.

Cheers!

Was that the one where his cousin shot the goose or bird of some sort?

@genkaku -- Kicking ass and taking names sounds like a nice change of pace. ;)

edited May 2015

It would seem that there is a strong aversion towards the poor (and might I say very useful) doormat ? I wonder would one feel the same about being called a tea towel or mop ? :D

Hamsaka
    edited May 2015

@Shoshin said:
    It would seem that there is a strong aversion towards the poor (and might I say very useful) doormat ?

No, there isn't. There's an 'aversion' to being called, or behaving LIKE a doormat.

I wonder would one feel the same about being called a tea towel or mop ? :D

Well, if you're the drip that dries up at the slightest provocation... if the cap fits....

lobster

What is the purpose of the doormat ? Does it serve a beneficial purpose ?

@Shoshin said:
    What is the purpose of the doormat ? Does it serve a beneficial purpose ?

Well yeah, I think so...doormats have been known to trip up unwary jerks...er peeps. o:)

One direct attempt was by rolling a boulder off a cliff in a failed attempt to crush the Buddha. His aim was just a little off...

I can see it now: Are you doormats or are you...opps, wrong movie.

"One direct attempt..." sorry, didn't mean to shout.

@federica said:
    No, there isn't. There's an 'aversion' to being called, or behaving LIKE a doormat.

So there's an unhealthy attachment to the word/term?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:

Indeed.
    :) We all have tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. The path is not about unskilfull display of our tendencies, whether that is bullying, passivity, gibbering, excessive time wasting, dogma drumming, cushion fetishism etc ...

In this sense we gain experience from the skilled and try and redirect the unskilled both in ourselves and others. Why? I guess we are on a path ...

Being objective about ourselves can be extremely difficult, maybe even potentially dangerous to our sense of self and identity. However that is the Path. B)

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    I've come to a point in my life where I don't take people's angry outbursts personally any more.

Tee Hee. I have outbursts that are personal. Not good.

You are right, do we equally not take personally, outbursts of others lust, ignorance, sexism, penchant for grammatical rectitude (mentioning no moderators) etc.

Indeed taking it further do we not take our personality/karma personally?

Being impersonal or objective is one of the benefits of regular and sustained practice ... <3

BuddhadragonZenshin
    edited May 2015

The consensus it would seem is that being seen as or acting like a Doormat is not conducive to ones practice…

So I humbly accept de-feet

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited May 2015

@lobster said:
    Indeed.
    :) We all have tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. The path is not about unskilfull display of our tendencies, whether that is bullying, passivity, gibbering, excessive time wasting, dogma drumming, cushion fetishism etc ...

Now I'll admit to everything else . . . but speak for yourself about having tendencies. I do not have or allow . . . tendencies. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it sounds like a vitamin deficiency that rarely happens in the developed world. Tendencies. Yuck. You know how if you say a word over and over long enough that it starts to sound like a disease . . . ? Maybe not :open_mouth:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

tendencies is normal, right? I would say everybody has tendencies. I don't understand.

@Jeffrey said:
    tendencies is normal, right? I would say everybody has tendencies. I don't understand.

I think it was a joke @Jeffrey

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

oh :) I have a hard time knowing people are serious or joking
    sometimes.

@Jeffrey said:
    oh :) I have a hard time knowing people are serious or joking
    sometimes.

No problem...So do I :)

I'm serious @Jeffrey..At times when reading some posts, I'm not sure if some comments are an attempt at sarcastic wit, a joke, or serious... :) Mind you I must admit I do tend to take most things with a pinch of salt 'not too seriously" (well apart from those comments where the poster is obviously suffering and pouring out their heart)...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jeffrey said:

tendency = an inclination towards a particular characteristic or type of behaviour.

If we have a proclivity to be a submissive doormat or a princely goat (aka pre Buddhas) we exhibit behavour and characteristics of ignorance.

Part of the eightfold path is engaging increasingly with behavour centered around enlightened behavour rather than personal accumulated karmic affectations.

:)

Zenshinbookworm
    edited May 2015

@lobster. we are all submissive doormats to the senses :) (well for the most part)

@Jeffrey said:

I was teasing Lobster, Jeffrey :) that was a bit out there, I must admit.

@Shoshin said:
    I'm serious Jeffrey..At times when reading some posts, I'm not sure if some comments are an attempt at sarcastic wit, a joke, or serious... :) Mind you I must admit I do tend to take most things with a pinch of salt 'not too seriously" (well apart from those comments where the poster is obviously suffering and pouring out their heart)...

This is where the 'genius' of emoticons come in. A good 'barf' smiley indicates sarcasm, for instance, or a 'wink' emoticon says 'don't take this too seriously'.

I tend to use scare quotes (it took everything I had not to put scare quotes around scare quotes) and a LOT of parentheses (in case you haven't noticed), ellipses . . . . I think, or hope rather, that it paces what I'm writing, makes it seem like direct language. All these nifty things, however they horrify our grammar nazis and English majors, work in place of the nonverbals we miss out on, not seeing each other face to face.

Shoshin

@Hamsaka said:
    I tend to use scare quotes (it took everything I had not to put scare quotes around scare quotes) and a LOT of parentheses (in case you haven't noticed), ellipses . . . . I think, or hope rather, that it paces what I'm writing, makes it seem like direct language. All these nifty things, however they horrify our grammar nazis and English majors, work in place of the nonverbals we miss out on, not seeing each other face to face.

That's so true...I guess there will always be communication problems in cyber space, plus one can never tell what kind of mood a reader of the comment might bring with them to the thread....

I put my life on the line every time I start a thread :D

• geniegenie Explorer

New member here. How's everyone? =)

This has always been a problem for me. Being a timid guy people often make fun of me, i am more or less an easy target. On the one hand I wanna lash out to end it, but Buddha says otherwise. It is very conflicting. I know buddha is right, but i also know i am right (in the sense that if unless bullies are confronted they won't back down).

So for me there's no easy solution.

Shoshin

@genie, what environment is this bullying taking place ? Also you might want to check out this "Thread" & this "one"