Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A path to Truth ?

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Just read this:

When we turn our own awareness upon itself in a most subtle introspection; we discover all the contents that are present as mental events in the mind. If we look closely at those mental events we discover their empty nature; like empty clouds appearing and disappearing in the sky with no enduring solid core or permanence.
    If we then look at that empty sky of mind in which the mental events are occurring, we discover also the empty quality of that sky-like mind. It seems like transparent cognitive space without its own substance, form or visible characteristics.
    When we continue to introspect regarding this empty mind, we notice an inseparable quality of knowing cognizance. It knows it's aware. It knows that it knows. It has self-awareness. It IS self-awareness.
    If we continue to be acutely present to noticing this self-awareness which is our own consciousness, we can't find a locatable center nor a limiting border. But we can notice an indescribable clarity and pure transparency absent of all mental content.
    If we continue in being present to simply being this vividly awake transparency, we discover its radiant nature to be bliss itself. The mind has recognized it's true nature to be bliss as well as aware knowingness without center or border.
    The universe is now known as a field of knowing bliss-consciousness that dances in its own holographic emptiness in unending moments of sheer delight!
    Rest here...

~Jackson Peterson

lobsterZenni
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    So what is the background music? Is it like a good feeling that is there when the conditional 'selfing' is weak?

You could say that...the background music is just the intrinsic sense of knowing how things are flowing :)

Overall @Jeffrey, I guess it allows one the luxury of not having to take life too seriously... :)

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

you walk the walk ;)

@Jeffrey said:
    you walk the walk ;)

Thanks @Jeffrey (I think :D )
    Now I'm going to have to change my avatar back to "Don't feed the ego" bugger :D

• nottwonottwo Explorer

Paths and movements cannot transport you into Reality, because their function is to enmesh you within the dimensions of knowledge, while the Reality prevails prior to it. To apprehend this, you must stay put at the source of your creation, at the beginning of the knowledge ‘I am’. So long as you do not achieve this, you will be entangled in the chains forged by your mind and get enmeshed in those of others - Nisargadatta

lobsterZenni
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

all about krishnamurphy
    http://www.strippingthegurus.com/stgsamplechapters/krishnamurti.html

meanwhile ...
    to answer the question 'a path to truth?'

If we learn from false gnus, then we have learned how to discern and make use of samsaric teachers, rather than relying on the 'perfectly formed, wonderguru' if available.

http://www.gr0wing.com/how-to-choose-a-spiritual-master/

this message sponsored by Gurus R Us and Car stickers for Buddhists

bookworm
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@nottwo said:
    Paths and movements cannot transport you into Reality, because their function is to enmesh you within the dimensions of knowledge, while the Reality prevails prior to it. To apprehend this, you must stay put at the source of your creation, at the beginning of the knowledge ‘I am’. So long as you do not achieve this, you will be entangled in the chains forged by your mind and get enmeshed in those of others - Nisargadatta

What Reality? :(

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

@nottwo

Can one have a path to the present moment ???

A path to the present moment is not entangling phenomena with our habituated conditioning.

A path to the present moment is allowing existence to be unmolested by our
    expectations.

A path to the present moment is selflessness as a compilation of each evolving nano second.

A path to the present moment is letting the present moment be the entirety
    of your path.

So I perhaps the question is really... "Can one have a path anywhere but within the present moment?

lobsterZenni
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

what does he mean by 'paths and movements'? Is he 'anti something'?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited May 2015
    Reading the title I had a thought that there is no path to truth because the truth must be lived. Maybe there is a path of truth rather than a path to truth.

Once we think we reach the end and stop walking, we are off the path and will surely miss the truth because it is always unfolding.

Also that the quickest route is already being here.
    nottwo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@nottwo said:> Paths and movements cannot transport you into Reality, because their function is to enmesh you within the dimensions of knowledge, while the Reality prevails prior to it. To apprehend this, you must stay put at the source of your creation, at the beginning of the knowledge ‘I am’. So long as you do not achieve this, you will be entangled in the chains forged by your mind and get enmeshed in those of others - Nisargadatta

Sorry but I have no idea what this word-salad actually means.

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, @nottwo, if we could have tht in comprehensible english, that would be most helpful.

Thanks

Earthninja
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

The eightfold path is the best of paths, even the present moment cannot compare to it.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Come again...?

Seeing the way to the cessation of dukkha is the best.

edited May 2015

How someone goes about seeing the middle is a complete mystery to me, but I think maybe the answer or clue, lies in dependently arisen phenomena, for example, eye-forms-eye consciousness-the meeting of the three is contact.

edited May 2015

I'm just speculating.

• nottwonottwo Explorer

hi federica which words don't you understand

• nottwonottwo Explorer

lobster what does the word false mean to you ?

It's not that I don't understand them; it's just that I think some people try to be a bit too clever for their own good.
    It becomes highfalutin gobbledygook.
    It is almost designed to make people think "you're" cleverer than you really are.

Simplicity can accomplish a lot more, than all this so-called intellectual speech does.

• nottwonottwo Explorer

ps Lobster i note with humor your link to stripping the gurus,,and its always sad to watch peoples needs to shoot the messenger,,,tell me what part of just walking out on or deserting your family, for 12 years is any less reprehensible oh and did you see this link by the same author http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-controversial-teacher-group-center-questionable.html

"It is very simple and easy to watch a person who is really spiritual. If he she is spiritual they will never have a narrow mind, or a moralistic mind This is one of the basic qualities of the truly spiritual mind that they will not have a condemnatory attitude They will love so deeply that they cannot condemn that is impossible for a really spiritual person "

silver
    edited May 2015

When someone has entered a forest, not knowing what they are searching for, lost, they find a single path, and by walking that path to its end they find it led them to a tree with abundant fruit and with shade, next to it a cool running river to quench their thirst. Is there an ancient search?

It just gets worse....! :lol:

bookwormvinlynlobster
  • nottwonottwo Explorer

silver re "what is reality" here is a few clues

Those who do not live in the single way fail in both activity and passivity, assertion and denial. To deny the reality of things is to miss their reality, to assert the emptiness of things is to miss their reality. The more you talk and think about it, the further astray you wander from the truth. Stop talking and thinking, and there is nothing you will not be able to know. To return to the root is to find the meaning, but to pursue appearances is to miss the source. At the moment of inner enlightenment there is a going beyond appearance and emptiness. The changes that appear to occur in the empty world we call real only because of our ignorance. Do not search for the truth only ease to cherish opinions

When no discriminating thoughts arise, the old mind ceases to exist. When thought objects vanish, the thinking-subject vanishes, as when the mind vanishes, objects vanish. Things are objects because of the subject (mind); the mind/subject/ is such because of things (object). Understand the relativity of these two and the basic reality the unity of emptiness. In this Emptiness the two are indistinguishable and each contains in itself the whole world. If you do not discriminate between coarse and fine you will not be tempted to prejudice and opinion.

Jeffrey
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@nottwo said:
    ps Lobster i note with humor your link to stripping the gurus,,and its always sad to watch peoples needs to shoot the messenger,,,tell me what part of just walking out on or deserting your family, for 12 years is any less reprehensible oh and did you see this link by the same author http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-controversial-teacher-group-center-questionable.html

"It is very simple and easy to watch a person who is really spiritual. If he she is spiritual they will never have a narrow mind, or a moralistic mind This is one of the basic qualities of the truly spiritual mind that they will not have a condemnatory attitude They will love so deeply that they cannot condemn that is impossible for a really spiritual person "

I didn't rez or understand your post addressed to me, but this one ^ ^ ^ did. Though, love is just love. There is no need for a meter. You hit the sweet spot on the dial or there is no love to speak of. No need to compare how 'well' one loves.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Four Faults of Natural Awareness, Rigpa

"So close you can’t see it.
    So deep you can’t fathom it.
    So simple you can’t believe it.
    So good you can’t accept it."

Kalu Rinpoche

Zenni
  • nottwonottwo Explorer

the story of the centipede who, when asked how he managed to walk with so many legs, tangled his legs in the attempt to figure it out and ended up on his back, helpless.

EarthninjaDavidZenni
  • nottwonottwo Explorer
    edited May 2015

bookworm

next time suggest this simple quote ")

I went all over looking for places to meditate. I didn’t realize it was already there, in my heart. All the meditation is right there inside you. Birth, old age, sickness, and death are right there within you. I travelled all over until I was ready to drop from exhaustion. Only then, when I stopped, did I find what I was looking for… inside me.

Ajahn Chah

ZenshinlobsterZenniEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@nottwo said:
    lobster what does the word false mean to you?

In the context of a sat guru as opposed to a sad gnu it is very simple:

A Satguru leads one to know the Truth, the false gnu leads one astray often with spiritual platitudes and dependence on their exploitative 'guidance'.

The real guru makes one independent of their influence and able to differentiate between True and false for themselves and in themselves as soon as possible. People follow slavishly the 'you don't need a guru' messiah and an intellectual drunkard because they may have nothing better. Each gnu may have done some good because of the integrity, truth and discernment inherent in some questioners.

Words do not convey Truth when they mask underlying assumptions. One such assumption is that words are independently always true and not part of dependent origination ...

Which I assume is what you meant to convey ... <3

Zenni

@nottwo said:
    I went all over looking for places to meditate. I didn’t realize it was already there, in my heart. All the meditation is right there inside you. Birth, old age, sickness, and death are right there within you. I travelled all over until I was ready to drop from exhaustion. Only then, when I stopped, did I find what I was looking for… inside me.

Ajahn Chah

This quote is not what I was referring to.