Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Star Wars

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited September 2005 in Buddhism Today
I was watching the first three episodes of Star Wars today and the Clone Wars cartoon and I never realized before how much Buddist stuff is thrown into the Jedis. I must have heard "mindful" and "suffering" every few minutes. I just thought it was really cool. :)

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Oh absolutely... the entire thing (Light vs. Dark) is Buddha nature vs. suffering. I've seen it a lot better since I took a course in Buddhism and Christianity last fall.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I think that understanding any of our seed-myths opens the mind to the background of Star Wars. Lucas has acknowledged his debt to Joseph Campbell and its mythic 'strings' are all-too-obvious at times.

May I, however, sound a note of caution! The dualism of the Force and the Dark Side, with all that is good residing in the Force, is far from the Middle Way that the Buddha taught. Dualism is another of the traps that samsara lays out for the unwary!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Yes, if you are a fan of the expanded universe, the Grey Jedi are closer to Buddha nature than anything else :lol:
    edited June 2005
    Perhaps that is why I prefer the TV series Babylon 5 to the Star Wars films!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Brian, which books are those guys in?

Simon, B5 is the best Sci Fi show ever. :bigclap:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I'm not sure if they appear in any of the books. I know that they are mentioned in the game Knights of the Old Republic II, which is authorized by Lucas.

From WikiPedia:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Grey Jedi, although having completed the teachings of the Jedi Order, are Jedi have either been exiled or had disassociated themselves. Consequently, they operate independently outside the Jedi Council. They are typically seen as misguided to the Jedi, though they have not necessarily succumbed to the Dark Side of the Force. They are inbetween, using both sides of the Force.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
  • edited June 2005
    I love Star Wars!! used to be a huge SW nerd, and I even saw a show on TLC i think saying something about Lucas taking from Buddhism and maybe Taoism (that i'm not sure of)....
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    He took from Chinese Buddhism, which has both Buddhism and Taoism, how's that?
    edited September 2005
    George Lucas' main influence, as he has said a number of times, was Joseph Campbell and, in particular, his Hero With A Thousand Faces. Few writers, since James Frazer, have so thoroughly understood the structure of archetypal mythology.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I watched this show on Discovery Channel 12... Entitled "Science of Star Wars"... And it talked about the Force being refelcted and practised by the Shaolin monks...
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Whoa, cool~!
    I can play the Imperial March on the piano :p
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Apparently director Brian DePalma tried to convince George Lucas to start a new religion based on the Jedi, but George said "I just want to make movies". That didn't stop a lot of people from listing Jedi as their religion on a UK census.

"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo