Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha in the (neighbor)Hood!

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator
edited May 2015 in General Banter

Nice story about a man who disliked the state of his neighborhood and put up a statue of Buddha he got at the hardware store...and what happened next.
https://oaklandnorth.net/2014/10/21/buddha-of-oakland/

ZenshinVastmindWalkerlobstersilverajhayespegembaraShoshinZenniTheswingisyellowBuddhadragonZeroDakini

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Lovely little tale ... tnx.

karasti
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited May 2015

Let's just hope they don't start doing what they're doing lately at Ankor Wat -- taking nude selfies!

Walkersilver
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I do, too :) I like that he saw a problem and thought, "We'll just put a little Buddha right here, and see what happens." And people took it up and ran with it!

WalkerZenni
  • NeleNele Veteran

One of the commenters to that link suggests a comparison to Nevil Shute's "Round the Bend" - one of my favorite books. Nice!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

<3<3<3 Wonderful <3<3<3

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@karasti said:
    I do, too :) I like that he saw a problem and thought, "We'll just put a little Buddha right here, and see what happens." And people took it up and ran with it!

Thankfully not in the literal sense :D

ZenniWalkerkarasti
  • ShakShak Veteran

Too bad we don't see more stories like that in the news.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes I agree. Trouble is, good (local) news isn't news. People want sensationalism and shock-horror. Local good news makes local papers, but rarely does any good deed make the headlines.
    In fact, you're more likely to find it in your Faccebook/Twitter feed first....

lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Sensationalism and entertainment -- yes, the news has certainly sold itself out in that regard. Thank you, Mr. Murdoch.

And yet simultaneously, Walter Cronkite, a pretty well-respected American newsman in his day, once commented that "news isn't about how many cats did not get up on the garage roof."

Another razor's edge, perhaps -- the line between entertainment and information.

lobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2015
    Loved reading and see that! Thank you for posting
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Here's some more good news...

Zenni
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

I wonder how the City of Oakland feels about it. It's their little traffic management strip, or whatever it is. I guess they're pleased that there's no more dumping, at least. It's kind of like the adopt-a-traffic-island program that my city has.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

@federica said:
    Here's some more good news...

Wow, those double-decker buses sure are fancy these days! In NYC they have a few of the old kind, that the city or someone must have bought from your side of the pond.