Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Cucumber Sage"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Others, especially Zennies in the crowd, are no doubt familiar with "The Cucumber Sage:The Record of the Life and Teachings of Wu-Ming." To the best of my knowledge, no one knows where the text came from and the whole thing is an utter and complete fabrication that is written in a style and with the flavor of a true and ancient recitation. It flows, it informs and it makes the reader laugh. I purely love it and am posting the link for any who may have some interest and an attention span of some sort.

I just ran across it again today and thought it would be worth a plug. Despite my distaste for citing texts, I will lie down and roll over any day of the week for a good tale, a good fiction: Why else would I become a Buddhist? :)

VastmindsilverJohnMaclobsterWalkerShakZenniTheswingisyellowsova

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Tee Hee.

Pseudo Buddha quotes iz for real!

Great tale, reminds me of the mahasiddhas, maybe they too will flow when they move into Western legends ...

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I enjoyed that!! :star:

WalkerZennisovalobster
  • ZenniZenni Veteran
    edited May 2015

I volunteer at the intellectually-disabled centre.
    Some of them are high functioning, some low.

After a period of time, I learn, or rather, they taught me something very precious -
    that life can be so simple. Like Wu Ming and his lifestyle - work, eat and sleep.
    What we slot in between is our choice.
    What career path, what to eat, when to sleep - are kind of simple enough; achievable.
    What's left?
    Interaction; With parents, spouse, children, relatives, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, strangers....
    Perhaps this is where the problem starts. Or is it?
    I believe the problem lies not in the interaction.
    Ego is the problem.

People who are intellectually-challenged cannot comprehend jealousy, ridicules, sarcasm embarassment etc. They don't get hurt.
    Which part of us is painful when sarcasm is thrown at us? Isn't it our ego?
    If we allow our ego to take charge, an angry argument ensued.
    There is "nothing" to let go, but a concept, of self.

If you should throw a lemon at one of my friends at the centre,
    He'll use it to make lemonade.
    And... He will thank you for it.

No mud, no lotus.

Namaste
    Zenni

ZenshinTheswingisyellowlobster
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

Thank you @lobster, for the link. I've read half of the parables. Some of the twice over. Educational and enjoyable. Will be reading the next half..

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Second that @Zenni. Thanks @lobster. Really enjoyed that.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@genkaku said:

Despite my distaste for citing texts, I will lie down and roll over any day of the week for a good tale, a good fiction: Why else would I become a Buddhist? :)

I guess to find ones tale ...
    http://genkaku-again.blogspot.co.uk

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@genkaku this was truly a wonderful read! thank you.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@sova said:
    genkaku this was truly a wonderful read! thank you.

Today's Ultra Spiritual Award goes to ...

gosh I was hoping to get it ... o:)

Walker