Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nibbana is flame going out?

Nibbana is often compared to the flame going out, so basically consciousness ends or goes out of the body. How is this different from what usually happens (at death)? So what I am asking is, did buddha teach the ending of consciousness (which seems odd), or something else?

Thanks.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

No - the Buddha taught only two things.

The cause of suffering and the end of suffering.

I think you'll find the flame going out was the Buddha's comparison of craving ending and not the end of consciousness as you stated above.

ShoshinWalkersovaZenshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Phew" what a relief.... =)

sova
  • geniegenie Explorer

So consciousness will not end and will remain? If so, how is this different from Hinduism? I am sorry, but it's hard to believe the buddha merely repackaged hinduism. :o I still feel buddha included everything - greed, clinging etc. - in consciousness.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

Neo @genie said:
    So what I am asking is, did buddha teach the ending of consciousness (which seems odd), or something else?

Thanks.

Something else, which is not so odd. The ending or rather the lessening involvement with our long suffering karmic Dukkha.

In other words a wake up call. The extinction of the Matrix Machine.

"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream, Neo? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? "
    Morpheus

as for the continuation of recognizable personal consciousness after being recycled into worm fodder, good luck with that ...

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @genie it's not exactly the same thing, you are using the term consciousness as an entity where as some people don't.

Mooji says consciousness is the fragrance of the divine BUT there is awareness of even consciousness. That which is aware of even consciousness is beyond any concept or name. I think this is the distinction or difference.
    This is beyond space, time, death, birth, mind... All these are perceived in it.
    Candle blowing out is the death of concepts and realising that which is doesn't die.
    Let's find out shall we? :)
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

This sutta will clear things up for you.
    https://suttacentral.net/en/sn12.1

• geniegenie Explorer
    edited June 2015

@bookworm said:
    This sutta will clear things up for you.

Thanks so much. From the very same link:

“But with the remainderless fading away and cessation of ignorance comes cessation of volitional formations; with the cessation of volitional formations, cessation of consciousness ...."

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

Suttas like this do appear to describe liberation from a cycle of birth and death.
    See also the next sutta: https://suttacentral.net/en/sn12.2, where ( literal ) birth, ageing and death arise in dependence on bhava ( existence or becoming ).

An alternative view is that with dependent cessation what is being described is cessation of ignorant formations, ignorant consciousness, ignorant contact, not the complete cessation of these processes. But this view is structurally problematic when you look at all 12 links.

There is no concensus on how dependent origination or dependent cessation should be interpreted, just a lot of opinions and some very convoluted theories.

Practically speaking it's probably best to focus on the section which is immediately relevant to our experience, ie contact-feeling-craving.

lobsterbookworm
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Our dharmakaya nature never goes anywhere nor returns. And then at the same time there is a manifestation that we can say is 'me'. Otherwise how do you know that there is a difference between me and you? I am a different person right? So there has to be a manifestation. So at death the manifestation I have for this life changes and is gone. But dharmakaya never goes or comes and it does not 'snuff out'.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2015

The big problem is self clinging. The problem is not that there is something 'there'. Because there could be Buddha qualities of love and compassion or intelligence or whatever.