Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I have trouble finding where I belong within Buddhism.

GoibhniuGoibhniu New
edited June 2015 in Buddhism Basics

Since high school, I've made values and wise words of Buddhism a part of my life. These values have helped balance my views of others, myself, and have helped my depression even in its worst times. As well, I'm a soldier of the U.S. Army and while some may see part of that job as violent, I find that protection of something or someone is a different thing. I value life. Even gave up consumption of any animal product. I've accepted death as an inevitable thing, but in such a positive light, that my depression could never convince me to let go of my own life. I carry a bone mala of skull beads to remind myself of death and the ox it was made from. It always reminds me that the end of ones life should not be feared, taken likely, and that there are burdens that one must carry, but carry them with strength. That's always helped me in my own way.

That was a bit lengthy. But I just wanted to share a little of who I am to simply ask what practice of Buddhism seems fitting to me? While I carry a mala and have some values of Buddism as my own, I want to get deeper into a practice.

silverDavid

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2015

I have been practicing Buddhism (with a monk/teacher) for over 14 years, and I STILL am not sure where I fit into Buddhism.
    This is okay.
    In order to fit in, to force myself into this format or that, I would have to start shutting doors to learning, to discovering.

Buddhism is about discovering your own truths within yourself.
    It is not about values, which are only ideas and concepts, but is instead about what WE observe through our meditation .. through our mindfulness.
    Keep on meditating ... do Vipassana if you do not have a monk/teacher to guide you.

And rather than trying to push yourself in this direction or that direction, just SEE where you take yourself, where the insights of mindfulness draw you.
    Ideas and concepts are useful .. primarily because they help keep our motivation up for DOING the practices. But they are no substitute for meditating or for the other practices.

Goibhniulobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Dedicating more time to meditation will take you deeper into your practice. You don't necessarily have to choose a tradition to be able to do that. Do some volunteer work with those who are less fortunate. Spend time helping people through kindness and compassion. There is no deeper practice than that, in my opinion.

WalkerRowan1980Earthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hi @Goibhniu - Some truly great responses, I don't think I can improve much on, and they've helped me, too. But, sounds like you're doing rather well, thus far. I will take my own mindfulness a little bit further.
    :star:

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Read the first two discourses of the Buddha called Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta and the Anatta-lakkhana Suta.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebsut001.htm

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.mend.html

Earthninja
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Goibhniu said:
    ask what practice of Buddhism seems fitting to me? While I carry a mala and have some values of Buddism as my own, I want to get deeper into a practice.

I think the best place to start are the practices that are common to all traditions. Things like keeping the precepts and doing meditation practice. Regardless of what tradition you eventually fall into, those will still be a part of it.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

After a while @Goibhniu ( regardless of what school/tradition you settle into) you'll find that there's no 'permanently abiding self/I' that belongs anywhere in the Dharma (the true nature of things) ...well perhaps only as a convenient analytical device when practising ....

May what you seek you find...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2015

What do you mean by a fitting? Like a sangha? Or a focus of an area of study? What does deeper mean to you? More time invested?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Goibhniu said:
    But I just wanted to share a little of who I am to simply ask what practice of Buddhism seems fitting to me? While I carry a mala and have some values of Buddism as my own, I want to get deeper into a practice.

Hello :)

When you say deeper ...

What are you practicing? Have you practiced? What are you drawn to? :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Goibhniu
    I am often more complacent and unaware when comfortable than when uncomfortable.
    Perhaps, looking for a place to fit in, better describes a tribal mentality than a Dharmic one.

ShoshinGoibhniuDavidlobster
  • You have all been very helpful. Thank you for the wisdom @FoibleFull.

@lobster, I've looked into Tibetan Buddhism when I was younger and I went to Mahayana practices while in Fort Benning, Georgia. I just feel loosely connected and that my mind itself has lost the focus I had meditating.

@how, I understand what you mean, I believe, when you use tribal. Too often I'm concerned what people think of me in a negative sense. I do enjoy making people laugh or smile though, it's how I myself feel happy. I need a balance within that.

@Jeffery, In a way, every question you asked.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    In reality there is only one group and you can't help but belong.

Just keep going and you'll find what feels the most right for you by where your interest leads.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well you know a touch of the Tantras is good for you already ...

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-08-reveals-vajrayana-meditation-techniques-tibetan.html

I find vajrayana practice/sadhana and focus has to come from the individual and any connection they have.

These might rekindle your practice ...

http://m.wikihow.com/Practice-Tibetan-Buddhism
    http://next.berzinarchives.com

• DaozenDaozen Veteran

Start meditating. Keep reading (including this blog). Find a group (including this blog).

(Unfortunately, meditation cannot be done on a blog.)

Good luck!

lobster