Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you seeking, or have you found?

2»

Comments

• @KarikoPuppies said:
    It really hurts when I hear Lotus Sutra practice is something weird.

Why? Rasayana/alchemy is extremely weird. Vajrayana is even weirder. Men living in isolation, sangha style is weird. Even meditation and mindfulness was weird until people found, 'hey it works' ...

I personally find the Lotus Sutra is a little unusual and too contrived to be of direct use but it is the basis of many practices and teachings. That it has helped you, no doubt.

You are not weird, you are not being 'hurt'. We are playing. Are we bad? :o

• KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited August 2015

It hurts not because of my own sake but because of those who think Lotus Sutra as weird. I used word weird but most of the people who dose not like Lotus Sutra they tend to say negatively about the Lotus Sutra, which could affect them greatly in a bad way. that's why Shakamuni Buddha asked us not to mention about the Lotus Sutra to those who dose not think good of the Lotus Sutra. And it hurts because I feel guilty causing them to say negatively about the sutra, if I haven't had mentioned the Lotus Sutra they would have not said anything at least. so people who practice Lotus Sutra must be very careful when mentioning the Lotus Sutra. Lobster you seem like you know a lot about sutras and must have read Lotus Sutra, you know what Shakyamuni Buddha said about that matter. So I only mention it when I feel like its safe to mention, which I did here newbuddhist.com since people here are respectful about Buddha's teaching. When anyone talk about Lotus Sutra, Nine out of ten,non buddhist would say negatively or would not believe what Shakyamuni Buddha said in the Sutra.

edited August 2015

It hurts because lot of people think of Lotus Sutra and Lotus Sutra practice negaively because of namyo and other similar practice. Lotus Sutra is the greatness itself but because of those who modify the teachings and make it something else, Lotus Sutra practice is made fun of at a lot of times. So its hard for me to recommend Lotus Sutra practice to other people ( bc I am afraid that they would react negatively ) additionally I do have limitation when it comes to describing what I am trying to say about Lotus Sutra in English, which dose not help either.

• :)

People are 'hurt' because no one admired their latest hat. People are effected by hearing, not hearing or hearing through filters.

You do not have to worry about negative or positive karma as it effects others.

I regularly collect barrels of negative karma for the hell dwelling sentients. As a special boddhisatva service I feed them this much sought after negativity. They in return assure me they will continue to not exist.

Service with a smile =)

• I am speaking of this matter as in general based on my own experience ( about the reaction of the people who I recommended to ). I was very surprised how most of the people reacted about Lotus Sutra practice.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I get the impression from my angle that it's not the Sutra people deride....Maybe they're more "hostile" towards the Nichiren school. It doesn't always have good press.

• I guess the word "hurt" I used in my paragraph is not the most correct one to describe my feelings..not sure. but I do feel sad not because people don't admired what I admire, its not that for sure. Its more about the karma I have caused to others. I consider myself as a ill speaker of Lotus Sutra in my previous life. its difficult to explain about why I think that - a teacher of the Law who teaches about the Lotus Sutra explained that whoever is in my situation ( I rather not explain in detail about this though ) most likely spoke badly about Lotus Sutra in previous life or at least commited the penalty of correct Law of the latter days of the Law (Saddharma). This teacher of the Law, we call bupsa in Korean ( I don't know in sanskrit or english name ), studied and practiced Lotus Sutra for near 50 years and as a result he obtained purified 6 senses, which means that he "knows" or "see" - not through physical eyes - things that normal people don't. He is trying to tell people how badly buddhism has gone the wrong direction and causing the buddhist a bad karma now. ( at least in Korea, I am not sure how it is here in the US )
    that's why he wrote books to tell people about Lotus Sutra and what is wrong about Buddhism these days.

• @KarikoPuppies said:
    that's why he wrote books to tell people about Lotus Sutra and what is wrong about Buddhism these days.

Quite right. Buddhism would be perfect if it was not for people.
    Trains would run on time if not for passengers.

People = nothing but trouble ... (I still likes them) B)

Jeroen
    edited August 2015

I am trying to figure out what Buddhism in US is like. What US buddhist read, what they practice, what they think of Lotus Sutra ect... but people here uses difficult English and my reading skill isnt so great so its hard to figure out. sniff sniff..

• ShimShim Veteran

@KarikoPuppies said:
    I am trying to figure out what Buddhism in US is like. What US buddhist read, what they practice, what they think of Lotus Sutra ect... but people here uses difficult English and my reading skill isnt so great so its hard to figure out. sniff sniff..

They seem to be more interested in the psychological/philosophical side of the dharma, some people focus heavily on meditation and in general Buddhism in the West tends to be quite secular (but on the other hand Western people can get really sincere about the Dharma and want to practice it "correctly", they are willing to adopt all kinds of practices.)
    What they read? Hmmm, some authors that are pretty popular amongst them: Thich Nhat Hanh, thr Dalai Lama of course, Chögyam Trungpa, Pema Chödrön, Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg - and of course the sutras.
    I don't know about the Lotus Sutra, personally I'd like to study it more. Probably practices that are based on the Lotus Sutra are not that popular in the US, at least not amongst white buddhist who are the most vocal part of US Buddhist community. :D
    Of course all this is only the impression I've got, someone in the US could perhaps correct or elaborate.

Btw @KarikoPuppies it's nice to have someone from "a Buddhist country" im our little Sangha! :)

KarikoPuppies
  • @Shim said: Of course all this is only the impression I've got, someone in the US could perhaps correct or elaborate.

shim,
    I am so thankful you took time and answered my question : ) thank you soo much for your insight. I really appreciate it ~~~!!

lobster
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

I find a practice of Vipassana regularly is the answers of all our questions.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not so.
    You find a practice of Vipassana regularly answers all YOUR questions.
    It is unskilful to assume, or speak for others....

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I found seeking but it was right there in the open.

• Am I the only unenlightened guy on this forum? Anyways, really inspiring stuff you all have to say.
    I'm sure still seeking.

• @0student0 said:
    Am I the only unenlightened guy on this forum?

Tee hee ... Certainly not.

When I became enlightened, I decided to turn around and become unenlightened for Mahayana reasons. That was a tough call. Kind of going against the stream, entering the market place, rowing back to the near shore etc ...

So there is at least two of us ... ;)

0student0Earthninja

...Make that three.....

0student0Earthninjalobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:Buddhism would be perfect if it was not for people.

That's why we have solitary retreats. ;)

• racerskaracerska Indiana, USA Explorer

Is seeking a type of longing for attachment to the idea of enlightenment? Do we reach enlightenment when we no longer have a need to look for it?

Is like my car keys? I tear around the house desperately searching and then just when I sit down convinced that I'll never find them, I realize they've been in my hand the entire time?

lobster
  • MetaphasicMetaphasic NC, USA Explorer
    edited October 2015

@racerska said:
    Is seeking a type of longing for attachment to the idea of enlightenment? Do we reach enlightenment when we no longer have a need to look for it?

Is like my car keys? I tear around the house desperately searching and then just when I sit down convinced that I'll never find them, I realize they've been in my hand the entire time?

Seeking can be both. It depends on intent. If you believe it is something you can not live without, or must not fail at achieving, then it is a craving. Otherwise, it is merely keeping one ear to the ground, as it were.

• ^^^ kind of.

@racerska said:
    Do we reach enlightenment when we no longer have a need to look for it?

We are more likely to suffer less when less frenzied. The search matures. Most people are looking for the wrong car keys thinking they can get to the destination by driving.

In a sense we have to be driven but not keyed. :o

racerska
  • @KarikoPuppies said:
    What I was trying to say to Lobster is that when you add hydrogen to oxygen, it became water. its not oxygen anymore. likewise, you add something that is not Shakaymuni Buddha's teaching to Lotus Sutra ( wonderful dharma ), its not his teaching anymore. so namyo horang is NOT Buddhas teaching anymore. I hope this make sense to you. again, my english isnt good enough to explain Buddha's teaching. my apology to you.

I intended to say something else here, but you hit a nerve...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

The Lotus Sutra is the core of Nichiren Buddhism. Myoho-renge-kyo is the title of the Lotus Sutra [Mystic Law of The Lotus Sutra]. Namu or Nam is added to show devotion or dedication. It is not "...NOT Buddhas teaching anymore.", whatever that means...

I am an American Buddhist

I an a member of SGI. It is the largest Buddhist lay organization in the world. Our propagation is not through TV infomercials (televangelism) or billboards or newspaper adds or radio broadcasts. We do it heart to heart, person to person.

We do not worship a person or persons.

We follow the admonition,"Follow the Law not the person".

I/we do not need nor pursue the permission of a priest or anyone else to become happy or enlightened.
    I/we do not need the permission of a priest or anyone else to study Buddhism, to practice Buddhism.

In my practice, we make no distinction between 'race', 'ethnicity', gender, national origin, 'class', political ideology or sexual orientation. None of those distinctions matter in terms of practice and faith or respect of and for self and others.
    None should matter in society at large. When we respect our differences and accept each other as persons, we are strong.

I stated before that I would not attack other forms of Buddhism on this forum nor would I attempt to 'convert' others to my form of Buddhism on this forum.

We can disagree, sometimes strongly, on specific issues brought up in various threads.
    We can agree to disagree agreeably, but we must honor our differences and our similarities if we are to maintain a viable forum.

In the USA, we have Thervadic practices, Tantric practices, Mahayana practices. And we most certainly have SGI, which is in the Mahayana tradition.

End of rant,

Peace to all

lobster
  • MetaphasicMetaphasic NC, USA Explorer

You know, too many Buddhists focus too hard on attaining the cessation of suffering, and not enough on the simple things that make one happy, or feel at peace. I am one of those who sees value in balance. Considering elements on both sides constantly change, I think it folly to dwell on attaining either. After all, that in itself, is a source of stress. Live your life as best you can.

@Lionduck said:

That's the great thing about Buddhism, it's incredibly diverse and pluralistic. I've been to meetings of pretty much every Buddhist group in the UK, including SGI. It's a fascinating hobby. ;)

@Metaphasic said:
    You know, too many Buddhists focus too hard on attaining the cessation of suffering, and not enough on the simple things that make one happy, or feel at peace.

I am of the opinion that by doing the latter, one can far more easily achieve the former....

I am one of those who sees value in balance. Considering elements on both sides constantly change, I think it folly to dwell on attaining either. After all, that in itself, is a source of stress. Live your life as best you can.

I'll drink to that. Skilfully and mindfully, that is..... ;)

lobster
  • If it were not for Buddhism, I would not know, except theoretically, the meaning of happiness, joy, balance, of living a life of meaning...the middle way.
    When the winds of change, fortune and misfortune, hit, I am able to hoist the sails and use those winds to advance instead of bobbing like a stick, overwhelmed by them...

By the way, @lobster, I really enjoyed your little Muppet video. <3=)

Must attend worldly affairs.

Peace to all

lobster
  • @Lionduck said:
    By the way, lobster, I really enjoyed your little Muppet video. <3=)

Good. I am glad. :)

• he-ai-kehe-ai-ke Milwaukee New

For more than 10 years I was a definite seeker. I was reading a lot about Buddhism (Theravada, Zen, and Tibetan) and trying to force meditation. I kept seeking the "perfect sangha" too, and never found it. For a year or two I stopped, but at a real low point in my life, I just started sitting as suggested in Thich Nhat Hanh's "The Miracle of Mindfulness." I sat and paid attention to my breath. I was so empty at that time that I didn't have the energy to seek anything. That was in June, and since then I have "found" more than I could have ever imagined: peace, confidence, determination, freedom from addiction, and a wonderful sangha. I wouldn't say I am currently seeking, but I am determined to keep walking the path.

lobsterEarthninjasilver

@he-ai-ke said: Thich Nhat Hanh's "The Miracle of Mindfulness."

That's a great book, still one of my favourites. Are you still meditating?

Every day in the morning when I get up and once or twice a week in the evening at sangha. I think this is the difference between now and all those years before. Daily sitting is the most important thing I can be doing (besides trying to live morally according to the 5 mindfulness practices - precepts).

lobsterEarthninja
  • @he-ai-ke said:
    I kept seeking the "perfect sangha" too, and never found it.

No such baby.
    No perfect guru, religion, path or most relevantly - no perfect student in us.

There are however perfectly adequate practices and meditation is one of them. Paradoxically these imperfect bridges to the real or raft of dharma logs are the means to an end shore.

Welcome to New Buddhist. We ain't perfect [speaking for myself at least].

@he-ai-ke said:
    Daily sitting is the most important thing I can be doing (besides trying to live morally according to the 5 mindfulness practices - precepts).

You haz master plan!

Personally my sangha which has zero membership as its policy, threw me out ... :dizzy:
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/07/28

Tell us about your sangha :)

Thanks lobster. I appreciate the sentiment and the insightful tumblr post. My sangha is a community of the Thich Nhat Hanh type. Two things amaze me about it: 1) there are regulars, but lots, and lots of flux - new faces all the time and 2) people of very different persuasions all feel safe to speak freely. It seems that even when we disagree on certain things, we still have such respect and support for each other that it is really special and genuine (and I've been around the block a few times). There are members who have my background (my specific types of ignorance and unskillfulness) and are amazingly helpful. I am grateful and can really say "I take refuge in the sangha" and mean it deeply.

lobster
  • @111 said:
    Have you found, or are you still seeking?

I have found many things, one of them is characterized by non-seeking.

• @he-ai-ke said:
    I am grateful and can really say "I take refuge in the sangha" and mean it deeply.

Exactly so. Me too.

We have a pet monk here [lobster washes out his mouth with dharma soap]. We also have people/bodhis dancing on the hell realms of the far shore ... or is all that waving and wavering to attract a raft?

We also have orthodox and heretic dharma to cater for all tastes ...
    We haz plan!

To the Buddha for refuge I go
    To the Dharma for refuge I go
    To the Sangha for refuge I go

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Another really interesting thread. Reading more about Buddhism has gone from a feeling of "this is interesting" to "this feels like home" over the last year. It is a big field, and my capacity for reading spiritual books is not so great, so I slowly make my way.

For me the process of seeking in Buddhism has been akin to slowly disciplining a mind grown wild. Years in education following the scientific method teaches you to always ask why, and you grow outwards from there. Buddhism for me has been about understanding and accepting the lessons that others have found, without the wild grasping and exploration that I was my intellectual style of knowledge acquisition. The fact that my mind seems intent on absorbing this material more slowly has been a surprise...

So I feel finely balanced between seeking and having found. I've definitely found something in Buddhism, but I suspect I will continue seeking for a while yet.

lobsterShoshin
  • Just seeking the cushion now.....it's just there.

lobster
  • ^^^ The cushion looks at peace when no one is there.
    When no one is there, where are we?

One can seek enlightenment by practicing meditation, but how should we practice so that we can attain enlightenment? Total and complete enlightenment is not attained easily. One must develop small moments of insight and understanding each day. These small, daily bits of enlightenment accumulate over time, until they culminate in a sudden flash of great enlightenment.
    http://opcoa.st/07lfW