Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Awakening - Why so rare?

13»

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2015

@lobster;

Yes, that's what I was saying except for the "nothing" bit. If we change it to "not a thing" so it actually makes sense and then it's a bit more logical.

Even "void" is not "nothing" as it signifies spacious emptiness. Can't be empty and nothing at the same time.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Earthninja said: ourself damn it! I meant non self not no self. Obviously something exists. :) but it's not this damn 'person' haha. I now see why you were talking about no self as a concept. Non self is what I'm referring to.

I think these are all just ideas really, pointers. So we closely investigate our experience and see what it's actually like.

lobsterEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^
    Exactly so. No thing, void, neti-neti, a pen not on a table, a mind settled on nothing in too much detail, all slightly different to suchness, I AM, God, Flying Spegetti Monster (PBUH) and Cecil the Ultimate Deity (my very own open source divinity) http://peace.wikia.com/wiki/Cecil ... or are they so different ;)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Earthninja;

Really, it's the implication of "nothing" that gets me going as there is no such thing as nothing. It sounds all mystical and everything but it's nonsense.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

^^^ Avoid void? Not sure how to, what with my hinayanist and other mischievous tendencies ... ;)

Earthninja
    edited June 2015

Void is still better than nothing.

lobsterHamsakasilver
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Absolutely right @ourself . All there is/ is experience. When we try to describe reality we often get lost in believing words/thoughts

Have a great day!

David
    edited June 2015

@ourself said: Void is still better than nothing.

Isn't void the same as nothing, practically speaking, an empty space? An empty space is defined by the absence of things.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ok guys, NOW I'm getting one of my headaches....! :lol:

Earthninjasilver
    edited June 2015

Empty your mind! There is no spoon!

ZenshinEarthninjaDavid
    edited June 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    Isn't void the same as nothing, practically speaking, an empty space? An empty space is defined by the absence of things.

No, because as we have agreed processes are not things, nor are they nothing. If there is the potential for change, it isn't nothing.

Emptiness is precisely form.
    Nothing is not anything, form or otherwise.

If we can ever use "it" in place of "nothing" it isn't nothing.

Even space itself is not nothing. Space has properties.

edited June 2015

An empty space is like an empty cup which still consists of porcelain.

When I get to my desk top I'll find a link but just google properties of space and you'll see it is not deserving of the label "nothing".

Empty space is full to the brim with potential.

edited June 2015

@Earthninja said:
    Absolutely right ourself . All there is/ is experience. When we try to describe reality we often get lost in believing words/thoughts

Have a great day!

True enough, but if we're mindful of it we see the labels as convenient tools of expression and nothing more.

It's still Right effort to use them as mindfully as we can as to avoid misunderstandings.

This is why I try to make the distinction between no-self and non-self or emptiness and nothingness. They do not mean the same things.

Until we develop telepathy, words and gestures are all we have.

I'm going to give it a go one more time just for kicks.

We are not the looker or the lookee... We are just looking.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    Ok guys, NOW I'm getting one of my headaches....! :lol:

Free your mind (lovely cliche for you)

edited June 2015

@ourself said: Empty space is full to the brim with potential.

Oh, allright then. Have I been guilty of "space-o-phobia"? ;)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Awakening is rare when we have the eye fixed on the goal, like the donkey following the carrot.
    When we sit back, relax, observe, it is a common happenstance...

Earthninja

@ourself said:

True enough, but if we're mindful of it we see the labels as convenient tools of expression and nothing more.
    >

This is true, but it has to be a direct seeing. Not just another thought about the thoughts. Intellectual understanding won't help. :)

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited June 2015

'we' see a post then a picture comes from 'our' own mind, a name to that picture comes from 'our' own mind and a meaning to that picture and name also comes within 'our' own mind

thinking all of them comes from outside, we react (write an answer)

are 'we' deluded or not?

can 'we' find an answer to above just by reading texts?

Hamsaka
    edited June 2015

@Earthninja;

Without intellectual understanding the 4 NTs would not even be with us.

Direct seeing is good but without being mindful of the labels we use we risk confusing a newcomer.

Surely you get that.

Hamsaka

@SpinyNorman said:
    Oh, allright then. Have I been guilty of "space-o-phobia"? ;)

Only if you're afraid of space having properties.

Being mindful is direct seeing in my understanding. :)

edited June 2015

@Earthninja said:
    Being mindful is direct seeing in my understanding. :)

There is intellectual understanding of direct experience too.

Being mindful of this we use our labels carefully as to convey the experience as best we can without confusion.

Direct seeing can come from being mindful but being mindful doesn't automatically mean we are seeing directly.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade.

lobsterEarthninja

@ourself nicely put! I don't mind my parade being rained on.
    In fact I invite it by sharing my thoughts on this crazy forum :pleased:

Thank you, skilled reply my friend.

Hamsaka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@ourself said:
    Being mindful of this we use our labels carefully as to convey the experience as best we can without confusion.

An important modus operandi to use das olde Italiano lingo. B)

Language is important to bodhisattva dervish poets who express themselves across a range of meaning including:

• the literal/convential
    • the symbolic
    • the psychological or 'spiritual'
    • the religious or dharmic
    • the visual (calligraphic) and auditory (mantra, dharma, sutra, beautiful)
    • the intellectual
    • the imaginary
    • the fishy

Here is a link (fair warning may contain references to the 'big fish in the sky')
    http://www.fountainmagazine.com/Issue/detail/love-in-sufi-poetry-may-june-2012

@ourself said:Direct seeing can come from being mindful but being mindful doesn't automatically mean we are seeing directly.

So what's the difference?

edited June 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

Being mindful is the practice of seeing directly as seeing directly is a consequence of being mindful.

Even with sudden satori I would imagine the necessary conditions would have to be there even if we didn't notice their arising.

Hamsakalobster

@ourself said:Being mindful is the practice of seeing directly as seeing directly is a consequence of being mindful.

Probably it's about paying attention closely enough to really see what's going on.

edited June 2015

Well, yeah.

I guess that's why having a meditation practice is so important.

Shoshinlobster
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

The Buddha said that the Dhamma is subtle.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I love this kind of intellectual gaming, but there is no way out other than siting it out it seems, so for now I'm gonna remain a mammal - I love you @shoshin for that one btw I've played it a few times now and it still gets me lol,,,❤️