Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the Buddha Green?

Most sangha and Buddhists would support and be encouraged by ecological initiatives, more so than other people? Is it a priority?

Here for example they are clearing up my ocean home
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3047064/hows-that-working-out-for-you/this-20-year-old-inventor-said-he-could-clean-up-the-ocean-now

EarthninjaDavid

Comments

• PöljäPöljä Veteran

To be green = survival instinct. There should be a healthy planet to live when the whole humankind has reached the ultimate wisdom :)

lobsterEarthninjaDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Maybe we should encourage Dharma books to be growable?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

Is the Buddha green?

Minimizing ones own resource footprint is a natural offshoot of minimizing ones own ego.

And .......

I think that
    a truly green earth will require a large numerical reduction in the earth's human population, coupled with our eventual relocation to where** local** renewable resources can sustain us.

Until that becomes accepted within the human condition as a concept to work toward, being green will remain a feel good fashion statement.

Humans have simply been living beyond their environmental means for a very long time.
    The longer this goes on, the more reason future generations will rightly call us lemmings.

WalkerJeffrey
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

@how I agree. I also think future events will compel us to live more locally, whether we want to or not.

The human population explosion has coincided with our extraction of fossil fuels. They have made it possible for us to exceed what were our natural population limits prior to the coal/oil/natural gas bonanza. It won't last forever, we haven't found any substitute energy sources that will replace them, and I doubt we will.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran

@Walker said:
    The human population explosion has coincided with our extraction of fossil fuels.>

The major starting point was the domestication of plants and animals. And now we probably can't stop our selfish genes to fill this planet.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

no buddha is blue for a very good reason!