Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Father's Day!

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

From: The Gift: A Father's Tale in Two parts.... by Steven Lee Mankle

The Gift of Human Birth

A Buddhist precept asks us to be mindful of how rare it is to find ourselves in human form on Earth. This beautiful view of life offers us the chance to feel enormous appreciation for being here as individual spirits filled with consciousness – drinking water and chopping wood.
That I rise from some depth of awareness to express this to you, that you can receive me in this instant, is part of our precious human birth. We are blessed – in this time, in this place – to be human beings, alive in rare ways we often take for granted.
Our precious human birth is unrepeatable. So, what will you do today, knowing that you are one of the rarest forms of life to ever walk the Earth? How will you carry yourself? What will you do with your hands? What will you ask and of whom?
Tomorrow you could die, but today you are precious and rare and awake. Wakefulness ushers us into grateful living. It makes hesitation useless. Grateful and awake, ask what you need to ask now. Say what you feel now. Love what you love now.

If you are a father, do not miss this moment, for it will never be again. If you are a son or a daughter, please give a nod or a wink of appreciation to your father for doing the best he knew how.
To each and every one or you – Happy Father’s Day !

http://mankindprojectjournal.org/tag/buddhism/

bookwormJeffreyShoshinkarastiWalkerlobsterDavidRowan1980

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Vastmind I was watching a TEDtalk by Mel Robbins in which she said according to some scientists/researchers the chances of being born in human form is one in four hundred trillion...

So if one thinks along Buddhist or scientific lines it's precious

Rowan1980
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Love this, thank you for sharing :) I shared it on my FB wall. I know so many people who could have lived parallel lives. Including one couple who lost 2 babies, and just this past winter adopted a daughter. Their relationship didn't fall apart, but came together. So many variations in our lives even when we travel similar paths.

Vastmind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

As a father, I can't help but remember: "Just because you are indispensable to the universe does not mean the universe needs your help."

lobster
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

My wife and I surprised my Dad with a Father's Day weekend visit, as it appears that this may be his last. (Short version: his cancer has spread to his lungs and liver. Not looking good.) We're trying to give him as many good memories of this human rebirth as we can. So Happy Father's Day, folks! :love:

VastmindlobsterShoshin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@Rowan1980 ... Nice gift and I hope your father and all who love him will be at peace.

lobster