Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The five hindrances

followthepathfollowthepath Explorer
edited June 2015 in Buddhism Basics

Greetings everyone. I read How to Wake Up: A Buddhist Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow by Toni Bernhard. It was a great book, but I'm still having a little difficulty understanding some of the concepts.

Skeptical doubt is one of the five hindrances. Does it only apply to Buddhist teachings or can one be doubtful about other things, such as what career to pursue, what person to get involved with romantically, etc.?

Also, desire for sense pleasure is another hindrance. I think it's natural for human beings to want pleasure. Are all sensual desires hindrances? Should I be mindful of all my sensual desires or actively try not to pursue things that gratify me?

Thanks!

Comments

• The hindrances(nivaranas) are specific to the practice of meditation.
    There are 5 hindrances to achieving a successful condition for a good meditation session.

Doubt about the practice or its efficacy is a hindrance. So is desire for sense pleasures while doing meditation. Instead of just observing the primary object eg. breath, one indulges in pursuing one's fantasies for example.

"Monks, there are these five hindrances. Which five? Sensual desire as a hindrance, ill will as a hindrance, sloth & drowsiness as a hindrance, restlessness & anxiety as a hindrance, and uncertainty as a hindrance. These are the five hindrances.

"To abandon these five hindrances, one should develop the four frames of reference. Which four? There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves... mind in & of itself... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. To abandon the five hindrances, one should develop these four frames of reference."

JeffreyBunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@pegembara said:> The hindrances(nivaranas) are specific to the practice of meditation.

No, they apply to practice generally.

lobsterEarthninjafollowthepathInvincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@followthepath said: Skeptical doubt is one of the five hindrances. Does it only apply to Buddhist teachings or can one be doubtful about other things, such as what career to pursue, what person to get involved with romantically, etc.?

Skeptical doubt is like a chronic lack of confidence in teachings and methods. For example if you don't think that meditation will be of any benefit it's unlikely you'll be motivated to do it regularly. But of course if you don't meditate regularly it's unlikely that you'll feel any benefit.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Did you know that even moments of happiness are considered moments of suffering?

No ice cream for you! :p

It is a question of knowing. The nature of experience is transitory. There is also freedom in our samsara or dukkha BUT this is further along for most of us. It is difficult to practice without calm, equanimity and a stabilised life and/or practice. Nobody needs a tight ass.

Relax dude, otherwise we might have to set the Buddha to practice on you ...
    http://www.fodian.net/world/1325.html

Too wikid? o:)

• @SpinyNorman said:
    No, they apply to practice generally.

Agree. And meditation should not be limited to cushion time only. Come to think of it, the whole of one's life can be a meditation practice.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@followthepath

I'll just add a little, you got some great advice up there ^^^.

As you deepen your practice, I find doubts come up. It's the mind dictating what I should do. Trust your instinct rather than mind sometimes.

I heard a great quote! Can't remember who from.
    Aversion Is like grabbing a snake by the head, bites you straight away.
    Craving (sense pleasures) is like grabbing the tail. It will bite you eventually.

Unless your a snake wrangler.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2015

@followthepath said:
    Skeptical doubt is one of the five hindrances. Does it only apply to Buddhist teachings or can one be doubtful about other things, such as what career to pursue, what person to get involved with romantically, etc.?

I think it's primarily referring to doubt in the context of our practice, but it can be applied more broadly, as well. That said, I don't think it means that all doubt is bad.

In AN 3.65, for example, the Kalama's doubt and uncertainty about various doctrines leads them to a search for truth. Moreover, according to the Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, the Pali term vicikiccha, which is often translated as 'skeptical doubt' and 'uncertainty,' is described in the Visuddhimagga as "the lack of desire to think (things out i.e. to come to a conclusion; vigata-cikiccha, desiderative to √ cit, to think); it has the nature of wavering, and its manifestation is indecision and a divided attitude; its proximate cause is unwise attention to matters of doubt."

So the hindrance or fetter of doubt (vicikiccha-samyojana) isn't necessary doubt so much as doubt that leads to indecision and extreme skepticism.

As for the attitude of Buddhism towards skepticism in general, I think it attempts to navigate a middle way between absolutism and extreme skepticism, as well as between the more well-known extremes of sever asceticism/self-mortification and excessive self-indulgence. For example, David Kalupahana offers an interesting perspective when he concludes in A History of Buddhist Philosophy that:

"Whereas Sanjaya [a skeptic and original teacher of Sariputta and Maha-Mogallana] was reluctant to make any positive pronouncements through fear of falling into error, the Buddha was willing to recognize the limitations of human knowledge and provide a reasonable description of truth and reality without reaching out for ultimate objectivity. This approach allowed him to avoid any ontological or metaphysical commitments and deal with language in a more meaningful way. For these reasons, he refrained from either raising or answering questions relating to ultimate origins or destinies, questions that had haunted Indian philosophers for centuries...
    "If Absolutism is the result of reaching out for ultimate objectivity in philosophical discourse, and if extreme skepticism is the reason for the failure of such an enterprise, the Buddha, in his explanation of human experience, seems to have renounced the search for such objectivity and confined himself to a middle way, thereby renouncing both Absolutism and extreme skepticism." (21)

sovalobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2015

@followthepath said:
    Also, desire for sense pleasure is another hindrance. I think it's natural for human beings to want pleasure. Are all sensual desires hindrances? Should I be mindful of all my sensual desires or actively try not to pursue things that gratify me?

When it comes to sense desires, I don't think one has to run away from pleasurable experiences so much as be mindful of the greed and covetousness that arises in relation to them.

On a meditation retreat I was once on, the theme of one of the talks centred on a comparison between the process of building a fire using the bow method and the process of developing mindfulness, and how consistency of effort and the right materials are the key.

Essentially, our minds aren't really conditioned to focus on a single object for long periods of time and are easily distracted, especially by the five hindrances, i.e., sensual desires (covetous or greed for pleasurable sense experiences), anger/ill will, sloth and torpor, restlessness and worry, and skeptical doubt/uncertainty. Ajahn Sudanto, who was leading the retreat, gave the image of them (taken from Ajahn Sona) as things pulling the mind, pushing the mind, the mind rising up, the mind sinking down, and the mind spinning around.

To counter these mental states, which are like trying to use wet, rotten logs and grasses to start a fire, the meditator seeks to develop the five factors of the first jhana, i.e., applied thought, sustained thought, happiness, joy, and one-pointedness of mind, which are like using nice, dry logs and grasses to start a fire when consistent effort and energy is put into vigorously sawing the drill until it starts to heat up and ignites the kindling, which here represents using applied and sustained thought with consistent effort and energy to keep the meditation object, the breath, in mind.

And the smoke in the analogy is the beginning of mindfulness and the accompanying joy and happiness that arise when the mind starts to become one-pointed, a combination of mental and bodily pleasure that can eventually be used to develop even more refined states of concentration and enjoyment, free the mind of the hindrances, and open it up for arising of insight.

sovalobsterDavid
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I think it does not mean that you don't carefully consider what you are receiving in the way of teaching and observation in meditation. What it means is that you ignore the monkey mind saying that you are wasting your time.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Thank you @Jason for those lovely explanatory paragraphs. Very well relayed and received. =]

lobster