Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you have 'faith' / saddha in "The Dharma" ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited June 2015 in General Banter

There you are just cruising along nicely with your practice, then all of a sudden you hit a crises....
Does ones faith in The Dharma (practice) begin to tumble like a stack of cards allowing emotional turmoil to take over ?
Or does the practice kick in and helps you to navigate your way through/over?

In other words....Do you have saddhā, (faith) in the Dharma ? (Do you 'trust' the teachings)

"Great Faith and Great Doubt are two ends of a spiritual walking stick. We grip one end with the grasp given to us by our Great Determination. We poke into the underbrush in the dark on our spiritual journey. This act is real spiritual practice -- gripping the Faith end and poking ahead with the Doubt end of the stick. If we have no Faith, we have no Doubt. If we have no Determination, we never pick up the stick in the first place."

And before one asks...Yes I do...even when "I" might not feel like it....I took that leap of faith many moons ago and there's no looking back...

"Saddhā is usually translated as faith, but it is not to be meant as a dogmatic belief !"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_in_Buddhism

EarthninjasilverDavid

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    I think you have to have faith because doubts will arise, faith will carry a person through those times. :)

That hits the nail on the head @Earthninja

What I mean by 'faith/saddha in' is after studying the Dharma knowledge is developed ( through experiential understanding-call it somewhat intrinsic) that what is happening at the moment will change no matter what the situation...Allowing one to have confidence, faith, saddha, trust, (whatever one likes to call it) to go with the flow

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I think I can have faith in the dharma but I can only have faith if there's some evidence.

It's probably safer to say that I do not doubt the dharma.

That isn't to say I don't have doubts about certain interpretations.

ShoshinWalkerrobotVastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

In the suttas it says "Mindfulness is the path to the Deathless", and that sounds like a groovy destination!
    Like that Beatles song: "I'm a dharma tripper, one way ticket, yeah...." ;)

Zenshin
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

I don't have "faith" in the dharma. I am, however, confident my practice works for me...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Pretty much what everyone else said.
    It's not always easy when the poo hits the fan in life, but practice makes it easiER. And sometimes for me just reminding myself of impermanence lifts a large amount of burden. It is easier to give myself permission to grieve, or whatever, when I remember it won't last, no matter how horrible it feels at the time.

ShoshinWalkerVastmindmmo
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I find it utterly fascinating how everyone who has replied so far has such an aversion to the word "faith," but use what are essentially synonyms to describe their level of belief in the Dhamma.

It's fine to have faith. Just be willing to doubt it, question it, test it once in a while.

Jeffreylobstermmo
    edited July 2015

@Invincible_summer said:
    I find it utterly fascinating how everyone who has replied so far has such an aversion to the word "faith," but use what are essentially synonyms to describe their level of belief in the Dhamma.

It's fine to have faith. Just be willing to doubt it, question it, test it once in a while.

It would seem that when we normally hear the word 'faith' we automatically associate it with the Abrahamic idea of faith, which in most cases is just another term for believing in something without proof... "Blind faith" so to speak...

However : Faith as you say means different things to different people...

"Different strokes for different folks"

Walkermmo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:It would seem that when we normally hear the word 'faith' we automatically associate it with the Abrahamic idea of faith, which in most cases is just another term for believing in something without proof... "Blind faith" so to speak...

Yes, maybe it's time to reclaim the word.

WalkerShoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I can have faith that somebody can turn their life around even if they have yet to do so. This kind of faith I can see as a kind of trust.

When I hear about schools of thought that are faith based, I assume their teachings cannot be proven to be true.

@Invincible_summer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "level of belief" when it comes to the dhamma.

I have no belief in the dharma... a teaching can hit home and make sense, be put off for later contemplation and discernment or I forget about it.

For me, Buddhism is a process and so a teaching is either conducive to that process or is a good example of what isn't.

I can trust a teaching if it doesn't hit home if it truly seems like the one teaching has benefited but there is at least evidence there.

To me that is a far cry from faith so why not just call trust "trust"?

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    It would seem that when we normally hear the word 'faith' we automatically associate it with the Abrahamic idea of faith, which in most cases is just another term for believing in something without proof... "Blind faith" so to speak...

Yes. But wouldn't it be advantageous to recognize what faith means to oneself and not be put off by such associations?

And as a sort of an aside, my father is both a physicist and a practicing Protestant. He has told me before that his faith is not blind, as he has in his own way tested the tenets of Christianity and found it to be the belief system that gave him the most spiritual enrichment.

To assume that 'faith' means 'blind ignorance' is not giving credit to where it is due for believers in faith-based religions.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, maybe it's time to reclaim the word.

As I mentioned in my anecdote above to Shoshin, "faith" doesn't always equate to believing in something blindly. So to say that it's time to "reclaim" it suggests that the word "faith" has been used incorrectly, when in fact it may be our own understanding of the word that may be skewed.

@ourself said:
    When I hear about schools of thought that are faith based, I assume their teachings cannot be proven to be true.

To me that is a far cry from faith so why not just call trust "trust"?

Yes, faith is a kind of trust. It's your own problem if the word "faith" leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

To subscribe to a philosophy or belief system, we all need a degree of belief/faith/trust in the teachings to be effective in whatever we seek them for.

I just wanted to point out the bias many of us have against the word "faith" when there really not need be one at all.

ShoshinrobotJeffrey
    edited July 2015

Actually, it isn't my problem at all because as I said, I don't use the word. It doesn't bother me at all if it works for you. Since it was brought up, I just said I didn't understand the need.

Trust and faith have different meanings to me and I'm pretty sure @Shoshin was asking about our personal deal. I admire that we can build bridges with other religions but I don't see Abrahamic faith as compatible with any kind of faith I find in Buddhism.

I have to do mental gymnastics to get it to work by positing a faith that means something different than believing with no objective proof.

Trusting the dharma of the 4NTs and 8FP is not the same as having faith that Jesus died for my sins or that Buddha could fly for example.

I don't see any bias, I see a square peg being forced into a round hole but it doesn't affect my practice so pound away.

ShoshinInvincible_summer
  • To me there are two kinds of faith: little faith and big faith. Little faith is believing some particular thing such as "Jesus was born to a virgin" or "I broke a mirror so something bad will happen".

Big faith is more like positive acceptance: it is the view that everything will work out somehow, that there is a more grand scheme at work. This kind of faith helps us stop being preoccupied with particular difficulties we are facing at the moment, makes it easier to see the bigger picture and enables us to go on in the right direction when the going is tough. In the face of uncertainty of life it keeps our spirits up.

I find this "big faith" invaluable to my Buddhist practice. Without it life would be completely unbearable for me. I feel that this is a quality of mind that needs to be cultivated constantly. In fact, in Chinese Zen they talk about 3 pillars: great effort, great questioning and...great faith. I think the faith that they're talking about is something along the lines of what I described.

ShoshinDavidInvincible_summer

@shadowleaver - Yes, this is what I'm talking about! Thanks for sharing

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I can't add a thing except there seems, on the surface of my experience, no need to have 'faith' in the Dharma. I'm cursed with a skeptical mind set that nags and spews, and even it says 'damn this is reasonable'.

DavidBuddhadragonShoshin

The truth tends to gradually chip away at the 'faith', leaving it exposed to the truth...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

My teacher has said that faith is like being very simple. Entering the teachings and perhaps 'give it a try'. But be simple.

Some of our posters (to illustrate not belittle) are perfect examples of over thinking things rather than just be simple. It is like there is a voice running constantly 'should it be like this.. should it be like this?'. Which the point is not that you should not question things but I am bringing out the qualities of agitation and over thinking.

Maybe I'm not expressing this best? But everyone comes again and again to this question of faith as I undestand it today as 'simplicity' (not over thinking) and there will be plenty of time to ponder on it again and again. Perhaps 'dont over-worry' is another way to think of it?

lobsterShoshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

“I said to my soul, be still and wait without hope, for hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love, for love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith, but the faith and the love are all in the waiting. Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought: So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.” ~ T.S. Elliot

lobster