Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My favorite luxury.

It is so easy to get pulled in sometimes. A headline just grabbed my attention and I read this news story. Someone got beat up after victimizing victims. 'I'll post a link to that on NewBuddhist," I thought. "It really makes you think," I thought. "I think it'll generate a good discussion on when, if ever, violence is warranted. Perhaps karma operates on a sliding scale or something..."

Wait a minute! What am I doing? I'm going to be discussing how hard it is to do the right thing sometimes. And so I can sound intelligent I will not only NOT start my sentences with the word 'and' but I'll also concentrate deeply so I can imagine myself in that scenario and find some clever point to make. Yeah, I imagine how I'd feel...angry, wanting to knock this guy upside the head...nurture those violent visualizations until they're vivid.

Or, I could go take in my elderly neighbors garbage can for her that's sitting on the street.

It was just one random thought...unskilled and unchecked and it could have killed hours. Five words in a headline for five hours of distraction. It's bad enough I waste time, but kill it? I got to go - I have a trash can to bring in.

DavidlobsterBunksEarthninjaVastmindBuddhadragonShoshindantepw

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

My favorite luxury

Chocolate. I iz Hinayanist. Nom, nom, nom.

yagrdantepw
  • yagryagr Veteran

There is a man whose last name is Ward. He wrote a book, "What the Buddha Never Taught" an obvious play on wards. Anyway, he spent a year in a Theravada monastery where 'no food after noon' was practiced. However, he reports that you could drink after noon but only items that were liquid in their true form...like chocolate.

BunksEarthninja
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@yagr said:
    There is a man whose last name is Ward. He wrote a book, "What the Buddha Never Taught" an obvious play on wards. Anyway, he spent a year in a Theravada monastery where 'no food after noon' was practiced. However, he reports that you could drink after noon but only items that were liquid in their true form...like chocolate.

Not sure if that was intentional or not @yagr but rather funny......

Walkeryagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A good Japanese banquet.
    That would be an absolute once-in-a-lifetime treat....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@yagr said:
    I have a trash can to bring in.

....and sort through :lol: The mind is a rubbish bin

yagr
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Mmmm, ice-cream on retreat... [drool]

Do we Mahayanists have to do everything? :p
    Here is a recipe for Cheese ice cream, medicinal choccy sauce recipe available ...
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cream-cheese-ice-cream

Inform your local Temple ... better still provide Sunday Sundae Dinner Dana.

Lobster haz plan ...

yagr