Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Paths of Buddhism

Can someone explain them for me? Theravada, Mahayana etc. I haven't really gone into depth and chosen one. I just follow Buddhism in general at the mo. How do the teachings differ? Do they differ at all? Do they contradict each other at all?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It's a large topic, but this might be a place to start:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/comparative.htm

Are there any local Buddhist groups or centres you could visit?
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

Earthninja
  • In general, the traditions don't contradict each other on the main beliefs, but that didn't stop the monks from arguing about which is the best practice down through the centuries. Monks are people, too.

There is almost nothing we can say about Theravada or Mahayana or Zen Buddhism that doesn't have its exceptions. Buddhism is probably better described in relation to the culture or nation that each developed in its own way. None of these surviving traditions are an exact match for the original Indian Buddhism as founded by Gautama, by the way. By the time the missionaries arrived, India itself had developed many different traditions.

Theravada, for instance, is a very legalistic and rigidly structured school of Buddhism practiced and pretty much confined to a handful of countries like Thailand and Myanmar. They limit their authorized sutra canon to a set of writings in the Pali language, the oldest surviving written records. The practice is highly cultural and most Western people would have to travel to them. There is very little offered to the lay population in the way of an active practice and women are not allowed to become monks.

Mahayana is a reform movement if you will, that has a much more open canon of sutras and I once snarkily defined it to my Zen Teacher as "anything that isn't Theravada" and he laughed and clapped. Really, that's all you can say about it. The sutras are varied and include later popular poems, sermons, and collections of wisdom literature. The actual practice varies widely due to incorporating local beliefs and elements. That means the highly esoteric and mystical Tibetan Buddhism with its unique Tantric practices are Mahayana, but Japanese Zen with it's stripped down "meditation only" and koan practice is also Mahayana.

I'm pretty sure this didn't help.

robotWalker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

It helped me. The local Church bell is ringing, I think they are Anglican Buddhists ...

... and now back to the sensible Buddhists ...

Play that funky music

CinorjerWalker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I found this book to be a very good introduction to the different schools of Buddhism.

Cinorjer
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Rule of thumb: In Buddhism, as elsewhere, when anyone uses the word "authentic," duck and cover!

CinorjerVastmind

"The tree of enlightenment" is a pretty good general introduction.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-enlightenment.pdf

Cinorjer
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"How do the teachings differ? Do they differ at all? Do they contradict each other at all?"

Why don't you ask the Buddha ? He would say that "All paths lead to Rome Home !"

• robotrobot Veteran

Yea I think there are differences and contradictions if I look for them. If I have no commitment to any particular doctrine it's not a problem. Cherry picking, some like to call it.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@robot said:
    Cherry picking, some like to call it.

As I said to Ho-tei only this morning. If we find that Ox, let's barbecue ...

Study, assimilation and alignment can can take a while. Even though I read everything I could get my hands on, we can only digest so many cherries. Most of us are calming the monkey mind, finding the traces of the ox, learning how not to have a cow ...
    http://www.mkzc.org/the-zen-oxherding-pictures-overview/

When we are near the start, asking how best to read, sit or use Google, it is important to have good advice.

Eventually cherries make for a jam. Go @Mingle!

https://boonvilleodz.wordpress.com/oxherd/

Cinorjer
  • This might help shed some light on this great theological dilemma:

http://www.northernsun.com/Religions-T-Shirt-(1432B).html

• If all else fails, just choose which style robes you like best. Pretty sure you can't go wrong.

Earthninja
  • MingleMingle Veteran

What teachings do you guys follow?

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

To be honest I follow which ever resonate with me at the time.
    They all point to the same thing and have the same central theme.
    The culture/expressions change for each person and temperament.

I liked Theravada and Zen but now there's no real central following for me.

I never resonated with Tibetan Buddhism. The only buddhist group in my town is Tibetan. I'm going to go join them on Sunday. Hahaha.

lobsterWalker
  • MingleMingle Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    To be honest I follow which ever resonate with me at the time.
    They all point to the same thing and have the same central theme.
    The culture/expressions change for each person and temperament.

I liked Theravada and Zen but now there's no real central following for me.

I never resonated with Tibetan Buddhism. The only buddhist group in my town is Tibetan. I'm going to go join them on Sunday. Hahaha.

The Sangha I go to I think Is Theravada but they all have hair lol. So I prolly should look into that.

EarthninjaWalkerlobsterInvincible_summer

@Earthninja said: I never resonated with Tibetan Buddhism. The only buddhist group in my town is Tibetan. I'm going to go join them on Sunday. Hahaha.

Yeah, it sometimes comes down to these practical issues, like what's available locally. Probably better to have a sangha which isn't a perfect fit than to have no sangha at all.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yeah, it sometimes comes down to these practical issues, like what's available locally. Probably better to have a sangha which isn't a perfect fit than to have no sangha at all.

That's so true, it's more being around a group of like minded humans. And hey I'm sure I will start to enjoy chanting haha. Why not right!

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

The Sangha I go to I think Is Theravada but they all have hair lol. So I prolly should look into that.

If you're interested in meditation, meditate. If you're interested in hair, go to a barber.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2015

@Mingle said:
    Can someone explain them for me? Theravada, Mahayana etc. I haven't really gone into depth and chosen one. I just follow Buddhism in general at the mo. How do the teachings differ? Do they differ at all? Do they contradict each other at all?

They're all fingers pointing to the moon. People tend to get hung up on the finger, missing the moon entirely; but if they're approached in the right way, I think they all lead in the right direction. What's more important than how they differ is how they speak to you and motivate you to practice.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I find the most important area of differences (just a thought here) is the different meditation instructions.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Mingle said:
    Do they contradict each other at all?

They complement and if advanced along compliment each other [do I get extra grammar points @federica?]
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/compliment-versus-complement?page=all

In other words the simplest, most new agey or even non Buddhist meditation may introduce us to a deeper awareness, practice and potential insight.

@Mingle said:

I follow the teachings up the garden of the Gardening Maitreya, which apart from a few spurious and premature compost heaps does not yet exist. Such trivialities should be no obstacle to the determined ...

Or to quote the 'second Buddha'

Nothing comes to beings -- nor does anything disappear. Nothing is eternal -- nor has anything an end. Nothing is identical -- nor is anything differentiated. Nothing moves here -- nor does anything move there.
    Nagarjuna

Pöljä
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited July 2015

"Gardening is the intention to improve.
    Anyone who does not understand the necessity of gardening
    as a service to the community and ultimately to themselves
    needs to meditate..." <3

I do like Quantum Buddhism, too.

http://rational-buddhism.blogspot.fi/2012/01/buddhism-quantum-physics-and-mind.html

Examples of suitable robes for Quantum Buddhists.

lobster
  • @Mingle - I want to offer you a suggestion, to let your meditation practice determine the tradition you will follow. With the idea of "letting go of things", you might ask - which one matches your mindset to path of liberation and happiness. Good luck to your practice.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Nyingma Teachings
    "Nyingmapas view the first turning of the wheel of Dharma as provisional, which is in agreement with both the Rangtong and Shentong positions. However, the Nyingma school also believes that both the second and third turnings of the wheel of Dharma are equally definitive. Why does the Nyingma school believe this? For the Nyingmas, the second turning of the wheel of Dharma emphasizes emptiness, whereas the third turning emphasizes clarity. Since emptiness and clarity are equal and inseparable aspects of the same nature, they do not contradict each other, and so one cannot make big distinctions between the two. For this reason, the Nyingma school perceives both the second and third turnings of the wheel of Dharma to be definitive, and thus does not consider the Rangtong and Shentong views to be completely separate or mutually exclusive.

In this way, Rangtong and Shentong merge in the Nyingma school without contradiction. On the one hand, Nyingmapas recognize the truth of the Rangtong view, which explains the absolute nature as emptiness. Hence they perceive the second turning of the wheel of Dharma—the Prajnaparamita teachings that clarify the nature of emptiness—as definitive. On the other hand, Nyingmapas also see the third turning of the wheel of Dharma as definitive because it expounds tathagatagarbha and the five wisdoms, four kayas, ten powers, and four fearless states of enlightenment, otherwise known as the clarity aspect of the nature. So clarity and emptiness are both the nature of mind, of tathagatagarbha. This was pointed out and accepted by Mipham Rinpoche as well as the great master Longchenpa. In his Tegsum Dzo, or "Treasure of the Different Doctrines," Longchenpa explains that the clarity and emptiness aspects of the nature are equally natural."

Venerable Khenpo Rinpoches
    Opening the Wisdom Door of the Rangtong & Shentong Views (pgs 25-26)
    http://www.padmasambhava.org/cart/catalog/product_info.php

Photo of Venerable Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche in Deer Park, Sarnath, India in 2008.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Mingle said:

Zen teachings often hit home for me most, but I do have a great appreciation for the ethics and sutta-based approach that Theravadans often have. So it depends what I feel I need at the time.

Tibetan and Pure Land teachings can be a bit more obscure and can appear to stray from the "original source" a bit, but if you go deep enough you can see that the goals are very similar.

You just have to figure out which method is right for you. That would either be by trying different groups in person, or watching some videos or reading some teachings from each tradition.

WalkerlobsterEarthninja