Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is being enthusiastic harmful ?

I mean by doing worldly things are not we disturbing the nature. So does not it means one should only do the minimal activity. What does Buddha says about it ? Is enthusiasm approved?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, because as a householder we have a duty to maintain Effort.
    It's part of the Eightfold path. Right Effort.

That includes doing what you love, and loving what you do. Mindfully & skilfully, of course.

Vastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Tejas

I do think enthusiasm, like negativity, caters more to blindness than to clear sightedness despite whatever values we might think we are enthusiastic or negative about.

In Buddhism, this becomes somewhat controversial when speaking of something that has worth in our own minds like the Dharma, but I think even the Dharma is better taught through a manifestation of equanimity than by cheer leading.

&

doing worldly things only says one relates to existence in terms of a self verses others, so I am not clear of what "the nature" is that you are referring to.

If you are talking about nature as the natural flow of life, then you might examine what Jainism is and why the Buddha set up his movement apart from that contemporary of his.

lobster0student0
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Is enthusiasm approved?

No!

Everyone knows enthusiasm will rust your halo.

lobsterVastmindsilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Is being enthusiastic harmful ?"
    @Tejas
    No not always..... one needs some enthusiasm in order to start practising diligently , after all, a lacklustre effort equals lacklustre results...It's a no brainer :)

This might be of interest to you "The Enthusiastic Buddhist"

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2015

If enthusiasm were harmful...I'ld be deader than a doornail. :mrgreen:

Is it approved? By whom? Buddha? I dunno...he's not here for me to ask.

Wait.....the little gem inside my robe says....I'm all in. That's Buddha enough for me.

Shoshin
  • Enthusiasm, what does Buddha says about it ?

To have much learning, to be skillful in handicraft,[8] well-trained in discipline,[9] and to be of good speech[10] — this is the greatest blessing.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.2.04.nara.html

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Tejas said:
    I mean by doing worldly things are not we disturbing the nature. So does not it means one should only do the minimal activity. What does Buddha says about it ? Is enthusiasm approved?

Hello :)
    Approved? By whom or what?

Initially we need some enthusiasm or motivational need to practice. Otherwise we remain a samsaric blob.

One can not avoid worldly things. We are part of the world (welcome Buddhist aliens) :3

What I feel you mean is should we be enthusiastic about what society feels is happiness inducing activity?

• Obsessional consumerism? Better to be enthusiastic about a simple and satisfied lifestyle.
    • Only another can make us complete. Ah true love, without becoming lovable, not too enthusiastic about our chances ...
    • Consensus reality. Follow the norm? Not something the Hindu rebel Gotama had much enthusiasm for ...

And now back for those moderately interested in dharma ...

roots
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Joyful effort is one of the paramitas. Those are the trainings of the Mahayana.

Also joyful effort is one of the indiryas which are the qualities of the true self. Joyful effort is virya. The other qualities are prajna, sradda, smirti, and samadhi.

lobsterVastmind
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@Tejas said:

We are not separate from nature, we are an expression of it. So if we are happy and enthusiastic about horse riding. That's just nature riding nature!

Sone people treat Buddhism like a religion, I treat it more the Tao. Humans have fantastic expressions, it is who we are. Why try and become a rock?

Obviously we need to see what's going on through insights, so we don't destroy nature by trying to fix it,

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I think it depends on what you are being enthusiastic about. If you are enthusiastic about getting that new bag of really good cannabis, then yea maybe harmful!

EarthninjaVastmind
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Tejas said:

We can try to minimize our footprint so we don't do as much harm to the world as we would if we weren't mindful about such things.

Being enthusiastic about helping the rest of the world seems beneficial.

VastmindWalker
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Your altitude is determined more by your attitude than your aptitude.
    Zig Ziglar

Vastmind