Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

spit or polish?

In Buddha dharma we often find a spit roasting the buffers.
http://longhairguyintexas.blogspot.co.uk/2005/09/you-spit-i-bow.html

In a similar way the slow refiners are snapped by the dried out brittles peeled away.
http://www.khandro.net/Bud_paths_Zen_2.htm

Is it perhaps true that we need a wholesome ego (polishing approach) and no rest for Ms Monkey Mind (neti-neti approach)? Is there any difference in these approaches or just what is appropriate to ones requirements?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's spit AND polish.

and it's 'spit and polish'.

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nuffink like a good spit and polish, takes me back to the old army days, bring back Nash'nul Service is what I say..... ;)

ZenshinfedericaTosh
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

and 'lol'.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

just what is appropriate to ones requirements?

Gonna go with that! :) It depends on who you are trying to teach. Some people need spit, other people need polish. Like Hui Neng said to the spy monk from the north “If I said I had a Dharma to give people that would be a lie. I only untie the bonds of each according to their needs so that their original nature can appear.”

ZenshinVastmindlobster
  • Thanks guys :)

I think as @federica mentioned both components are required. We have to break down or remove many of the existing skhanda, hindrances and monkey mind excursions. Our bad habits and useless or self defeating behavour exposed and thrown away.

Simultaneously good habits, precepts, the eightfold path, regular practice etc is used to refine our potential.

Buddhism is Simple. The alternatives, ignorance, hoping for unearned benefits, quick fixes etc ... don't seem too effective ...