Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Back on FB also.

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited July 2015 in General Banter

hi all,

hope you all are healthy and strong.

for the past few days, i am back more on Facebook(FB) web-site. i was not on FB for the last 1 year i think. but thought of again coming back to FB, then found few old class-mates on FB, found few inspiring web-pages there - liked it and then started getting insightful posts from them. then started sharing those on my FB timeline. though i am noting that my inclination towards getting a like for my each post is pretty daunting inside me - may be my ego wants to become more stronger by seeing more likes for my posts on FB.

i am finding FB is not bad, though it is addictive slightly, but joining inspirational web-pages on it, can help in getting some inspirational quotes to get through the day.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

FaceBook is not life. It's just a tool, for communication and updates.
    If you attach your ego to responses, you're using it in the wrong way.

It's not Facebook that is the problem.
    it's the people.

BunksKarmaTsultrimPalden
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

one thing i am noticing also that getting likes from friends is ok, but getting likes from strangers seem to make me happy - on joining the web-pages which are inspirational, then commenting on them and then getting likes for my comment on them from strangers, seems to make me happy or in a way builds my ego stronger, but i kind of like it. this thing also leads me to wanting more likes for my comments from strangers on FB for my comments, so whenever i post a comment on an inspirational message from those web-pages, i kind of check FB frequently to see if i got any like for my comment from some stranger.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> It's not Facebook that is the problem.

Yes it is! Horrible invention! ;)

lobster

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes it is! Horrible invention! ;)

i am kind of liking it, may be because of above reasons. :smile:

let us have a voting who likes FB and who does not like FB - will take the poll count towards end to see which side wins.

some may be of the group neither like nor dislike FB, so this option is also there to vote.

but completing Nagarjuna's tetrad here for options would not make sense, since both like and dislike FB seems non-sense :lol: .

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ go @misecmisc1 like and friend everyone ... <3 [that metta practice might be working ...]

Earthninja

@misecmisc1 said: but completing Nagarjuna's tetrad here for options would not make sense, since both like and dislike FB seems non-sense :lol: .

Is Nagarjuna on Facebook now?! It would be confusing working out if you were a "Friend" with Nargarjuna - what would the options be? "Friend", "Unfriend", "Neither Friend of Unfriend", "Both"? ;)

misecmisc1lobsterWalker

@SpinyNorman said:
    Is Nagarjuna on Facebook now?! It would be confusing working out if you were a "Friend" with Nargarjuna - what would the options be? "Friend", "Unfriend", "Neither Friend of Unfriend", "Both"? ;)

don't know about that - but if he was friend on FB, and if on any comment or post, he would have been asked did he liked it or not? then he would have said - all the four options like, dislike, both like and dislike, neither like nor dislike. then if somebody would have asked him to explain how he did that, he would have explained like below:
    on seeing the post, he clicked like - so he like the post
    then he clicked like again, so he dislike the post
    now since he both clicked like and undo that action by clicking again, so he both like and dislike the post
    but when you are seeing it, you are seeing no action from his side, so you do not know currently whether he likes it or not, so currently he neither likes nor dislikes the post or else he would have acted on that post.

... and then even Facebook would have become complicated to use... :smile:

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

There are plenty of dharma groups on facebook. All the local temples here have a page. A lot of monks and nuns are on there. Even The Dalai Lama is on there. Although, I doubt he is the one making the posts. :lol:

if somebody wants, then i can list some of the pages, which i have liked on FB and there seems to be inspirational quotes coming there, which are nice to read while going through the day.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Dislike.
    Never been on facebook. Not likely to start now.

federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@misecmisc1 said:
    if somebody wants, then i can list some of the pages, which i have liked on FB and there seems to be inspirational quotes coming there, which are nice to read while going through the day.

No, please don't. There are enough distractions around us already!
    And quit checking them just to see how great people think you are! :D

Lionduck
  • I have a FB account :3 ...It is definitely a bad idea to bring FB into this site in whole or in part. It sometimes seems half the world is on FB and the other 98% is trying to get off FB. Definitely too much distraction there. :p
    Now the Special, Olympic World Games is cool, wild, gnarly, chick, sheek, and fun. Naturally, the commercial press does not deem it profitable to broadcast it (other than the Opening Ceremony, maybe). Not one of the participants will appear on a Wheaties box. In these games, everyone is a winner. <3<3
    Now, getting back to FB...er, NOPE!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

For over fifteen years, dear hubby and I had been reluctant to join the FB troupe.

We joined recently -go know why- and I am very happy about it.

I have found dear lost friends from school and work colleagues and we communicate on a daily basis.

At first I felt overwhelmed because I had a friend from Miami, another from Buenos Aires and one from Switzerland contacting me at the same time through Messenger, and other ten commenting on my pictures, welcoming me to FB, putting likes here and there... the tablet kept "plin plinging" every ten seconds...

I thought I'd give it up on the third day, but I'm happy I did not.
    Like Fede said, it's a communication tool.
    But it has brought dear people from my past and me together.

edited July 2015

i have connected to many of my friends, with whom i studied till class X, which was like nearly 20 years ago. it is nice to see their latest pics, see the pics of their families. also i connected with some of my teachers, who taught me till class X. moreover, past few days, when i liked that random acts of kindness web-page, then FB displayed some more web-page options, which i found having positive and inspirational quotes. also a buddhist group page also came and i joined it. there also i posted some quotes from the various monks and got likes from strangers.

actually a thought came to my mind - in the random acts of kindness website, i think i saw that sharing inspirational quotes can be an act of kindness. so now sharing these inspirational quotes in office would not make much sense, as nobody might be interested in it. sharing those inspirational and insightful quotes here also does not make much sense because the people here are already more intelligent, kind, compassionate and having wisdom. so i was thinking where to share the inspirational quotes? then i thought FB might be a good option - may be most people there might not be interested in it, but might be a very few people would become interested in it and might turn toward finding the goodness inside them and try to increase their skillful acts. so i have started sharing the insightful quotes on my FB timeline with my friends and also started to comment on those insightful messages, then started getting some likes from strangers, who i don't know. and i am finding that my ego becomes more happy on getting likes from strangers, as getting likes from friends is ok, though still getting likes from friends makes me happy.

FB at the moment seems flooded with news about Cecil the Lion and how madly and wildly popular his killer has become....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Actually, I am really mad at the killing of Cecil the Lion, and at hunters like the one that killed Cecil.

mmo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    Dislike.
    Never been on facebook. Not likely to start now.

ditto.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Actually, I am really mad at the killing of Cecil the Lion, and at hunters like the one that killed Cecil.

Me too.

Especially as Cecil the Ultimate Deity is the name of my open source deity. His Noodliness (Flying Speghetti Monster) was not available at the time and Bertrands Russells 'flying Teapot' was a little too ethnic ...
    http://peace.wikia.com/wiki/Cecil

Nobody can fight the might of the gods of the Internet ... well Cecil might ...

• mmommo Veteran

The dentist got his priorities wrong. Taking pleasure out of killing other beings is such a mess.

Yes, game hunting is an obscene "sport".