Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Frizzer's malas

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited February 2007 in General Banter
I recently asked Frizzer if he would make a set of malas for me. I was very precise and demanding in what I wanted and to say that he came through for me is a gross understatement. I wanted them to have an ethereal quality, light looking but a bit weighty feeling. I also wanted them to be pink. Yes. Pink. My taste usually runs to the earthy, rustic, woodsy, mossy and stone sort of thing but for some strange reason I wanted these malas to have an altogether different quality to them. And Frizzer was not only wonderfully patient with me and my demands but he made THE most GORGEOUS malas I've ever seen! They're even more beautiful than I imagined. They're stunning.

I wish I could figure out how to upload photos so I could show you what they look like but that will have to wait. I'll describe them for you in the meantime. They were made using rose quartz which is the most beautiful shade of light pink.

Here's how Frizzer described the malas:
I used a Lotus seed as the Buddha bead on the main mala and a Bodhi seed on the wrist one.

The beads are rose quartz (except for the spacers on the main mala which are glass). I spaced it so the main mala was split into 4 groups of 27 and the wrist mala has 27 beads with metal washers as spacers after the 6th and 21st beads (apparently that's the traditional way of dividing it!).
I thought a white tassel would look quite effective with the pink beads but I can always change that if you don't like it.

The white tassel is perfect and I'm absolutely thrilled with how they came out. I'm also very impressed with the quality and workmanship. You can really feel it when you hold them. They're beautiful in every way.

So this is my public "Thank You" to Frizzer as well as a sincere and hearty endorsement for his fine artistry and workmanship.

Thank you, Frizzer! I LOVE them! And I will post a photo of them as soon as I learn basic computing.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    who is frizzer? lol
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    'Frizzer' is one of our long-term members, from the UK but who doesn't have a lot of personal time to come in and post. He is a Reiki therapist and an all-round, good egg, lovely, down to earth, generous and funny bloke.

That's who Frizzer is.

:ukflag: :rocker: :rockon: :om:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Yes... he did one for me.

I was really, really, really happy with it.

He really is a good guy - even if he is English.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    federica wrote:
    'Frizzer' is one of our long-term members, from the UK but who doesn't have a lot of personal time to come in and post. He is a Reiki therapist and an all-round, good egg, lovely, down to earth, generous and funny bloke.

That's who Frizzer is.

:ukflag: :rocker: :rockon: :om:

Sorry, but eggs are oval, not round.

As for malas, Ven. Gyaltrul Rinpoche, in a book of his (Generating the Deity), listed the benefits of various types of material used to make malas. Certain stones multiply the merit by 100,000, others by 200,000, and so on. However, malas made from bodhi seeds (i.e. seeds from the same sort of tree under which the Buddha obtained enlightenment) multiply the merit infinitely. Interesting. Not pretty maybe, but potent!

Palzang
    edited January 2007
    bodhi seeds?

good thing that's what i've got on one. i need all the help i can get.

-bf
    edited January 2007
  • edited January 2007
    Thank you Brigid for such a lovely post!
    I only just saw this as I've been in Spain for a few days (it was absolutely freezing cold and raining - not the sunny break we were expecting!).

I'm really pleased Brigid liked her malas, as soon as she described the kind of thing she wanted I had an idea of how to get the effect and fortunately it worked well.
    Here's a pic of the malas in question :

boosmalas.jpg

Frizzer (a good guy despite being English - cheers BF!!) :lol:
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Frizzer! I miss you a bunch! I also have a mala from Frizzer and it is gorgeous. He also made my husband and I matching wrist mala's and they are also amazing. We wear the wrist mala's everyday and I use my mala to meditate everyday as well.

The mala that you made for Brigid is so pretty! Nice work.

Sorry to hear that Spain was so cold for your visit - if it makes you feel any better, it is -4 degrees here today. But I love winter weather - I really do.

PS - are all of your tomatoes gone? We are getting ready to start osme indoor plants and I can't wait. Did you see the farm we might be buying? We will have tons of tomato plants there if it all works out!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    "Osme indoor plants"....? She's hit the funny weed everyone! :lol:
  • edited January 2007
    Whoops, sometimes my fingers get going a little too fast on the keyboard.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Yogamama, the tomatoes have indeed all gone. They grew huge and we ended up making several batches of tomato sauce for cooking with. We've kept some seeds and are going to try and grow some more this year.

I've not seen the farm that you may be buying - PM me a link to the thread about it. I assume you won't be keeping a pet cow on it - I was re-reading the "wish game" thread the other day and came across BF's post (on page 2) about you wanting a pet cow as a slave. That never fails to make me laugh! :)
  • edited January 2007
    I had to go back and read the thread you are talking about. That was funny!

I sent you a pm. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    You're more than welcome, Frizzer. And although that's a pretty good pic, it doesn't do them justice because in real life they're much lighter in colour and more transparent. The way they look in the sunlight is just stunning. They have a beautiful weight to them and when I wear them it feels like they're keeping my awake and aware. They're also cool to the touch and putting them around my neck is refreshing, like cool water. I'm not a very sensitive person when it comes to spiritual objects but there's just something about these malas, I don't know how to describe it. It's almost like a support or something. A realness...a good, weighty reminder. Something like that. I really love them.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I don't know what type of cord you use, Frizzer, but my own mala, which was a gift from a young monk in India, has acquired and holds the smell of incense so that all my senses can focus down onto it when I am distracted. I have found that, when I am not wearing it or using it, wrapping it around sticks of incense on my prayer table keeps the smell 'alive'.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Simon, that sounds lovely, I'll keep mine next to my incense when I'm doing my zazen. I wear a 54 bead Bodhi seed mala round my wrist so it would be nice to have the smell of my Japanese incense with me.
    As for cord - it depends on the beads I use. For Brigid's mala I used linen cord as it fitted through the small holes int he beads. For beads with larger holes I use hemp, embroidery thread or cord designed for beading. I try and keep to natural fibres wherever possible though.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Frizzer wrote:
    Hi Simon, that sounds lovely, I'll keep mine next to my incense when I'm doing my zazen. I wear a 54 bead Bodhi seed mala round my wrist so it would be nice to have the smell of my Japanese incense with me.
    As for cord - it depends on the beads I use. For Brigid's mala I used linen cord as it fitted through the small holes int he beads. For beads with larger holes I use hemp, embroidery thread or cord designed for beading. I try and keep to natural fibres wherever possible though.

Perhaps you could put cord and beads for a few days in incense smoke, washing them with clean water for a blessing, before stringing them.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Frizz,

What is the cost for a set of your splendid beads?
  • edited February 2007
    woo hoo Frizzer has taken on the task of making some for me! Thanks a ton Frizzer!!!
  • edited February 2007
    As LFA said, I'm going to have ago at making a set for him.
    X - it depends on what I make them out of. Let me know what you have in mind and I'll try and work out how much it'd cost to make - it's only be the cost of the beads and postage as I don't charge anything to make them.