Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Job opportunity - become a fake monk!

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited August 2015 in General Banter

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=60,12354,0,0,1,0#.Vcrmf_lVikp

New York, USA -- They’re holy terrors. Bands of beggars dressed like Buddhist monks have invaded the High Line and other city parks, demanding upwards of $40 from tourists — and officials are fed up.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That means we'll get them in London soon. Hip trends tend to be copied here, after a while. USA leads the way! :dizzy:

:D

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2015

Good plan! Thanks for the tip. :)

Do you feel it is best to rent a costume or make ones own? As I am not much of a drinker I feel I could spend my ill gotten gains on burning incence at the nearest cosplay temple? However that might not be entering into the spirit of things ...

Free enterprise is certainly alive and well in NY ...

It reminds me of a busker 'playing' trance type keyboards under Blackfriars bridge. Even elementary keyboards have quite complex rhythms built in. The busker was doing nothing more than twiddling nobs a little and ocasionally pressing a few keys to give an impression of musical ability ...

Not so very different from many pop idols ...

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

'Land of the free and home of the brave.....'

• @SpinyNorman said:
    http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=60,12354,0,0,1,0#.Vcrmf_lVikp

New York, USA -- They’re holy terrors. Bands of beggars dressed like Buddhist monks have invaded the High Line and other city parks, demanding upwards of $40 from tourists — and officials are fed up.

What is in the drinking water in NY? That takes big brass ones and a touch of lunacy.

There is a real Thai temple within 1/2 mile of my house, complete with a full complement of orange robed monks with begging bowls and such. They found early on who and where their supporters were and they don't demand. Fake monks would soon find themselves in quite untenable positions...

• It could be worse. 'Genuine' monks dressing up as beggars and offering pro active dharma. Holy rinpoches having gin for breakfast and being taken seriously. Crazy Trungpa was for real right?

Many of us claim everyone is a Buddha but clearly 'some animals are more Buddha than others'
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/all+animals+are+equal,+but+some+animals+are+more+equal+than+others

Would it be more acceptable if they believed the baubles they were selling were blessed items? What if they were giving out copies of the Lotus Sutra or 'how to meditate' instruction leaflets? Is the intention to not decieve but being a hypocrite or misleading others through ignorance preferable? Where does responsibility/accountability/karma come in?

Just asking ... o:)

• mmommo Veteran

It is very common in my original country where people dressed in monks' robes (sometimes nuns) are asking for donations openly in restaurants. Money problems push people to cross the boundries. Sadly, it is not an individual's efforts to lessen these.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

To quote W C Fields...There's a sucker born every minute. >:)

.....He does....? :confounded:

Invincible_summer
  • ^^^ You is too wikid! O.o

[however ... so true] :3 Must be kind to Christians ... I thought the aghori sadhus were strange ...

Many of us have been brought up in this strange Christian belief structure with many evangelists. I am just glad most of us have alternatives to selling false hope or dharma.

Maybe these beggars are genuine fraudsters ... Are the dharma police required? Send in the wrathful Vajrayana, Zen Masters with sticks etc ...

• ShimShim Veteran

This would be far more effective way to reap some cash from the masses...

BunkssilverInvincible_summerrohit
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@federica said:
    .....He does....? :confounded:

Okay I'll relent.. only to the 1.3 billion Catholics and anyone else who wants to believe in Transubstantiation

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Yeah...they been around awhile...Times Square has fake superman...Mickey...hulk...anything or anyone you can dream up to take a pic with....all just a hustle. Tourists fall for it. New Yorkers aren't fallin' for it.

silverInvincible_summer
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

yep... we've got them here as well.