Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Routes To Becoming The Expert

One route to becoming "The Expert" is the following:
1. I don't know this at all.
2. I think I may know it a little.
3. I know this!
4. No I don't this!
5. No one else does either...
6. Therefore I'm "The Expert!"

Another route:
You get tagged to do such and such.
No matter how good or bad a job you did, you are now "The Expert".
[This is especially true of civil service]

Let's run this puppy into the ground. Double chocolate dip dare you!>:) <3

Vastmind

Comments

• The way to become an expert is to be prepared to learn.

More clues on request o:)

Vastmind
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited August 2015

Oh oh, lobster decide to to serious! :o<3

lobsterVastmind
  • Expert = The guy from out of town.

If a company needs to bring in an expert to address a client's situation, the person doesn't actually have to be an expert. He just needs to be from somewhere else, and have an expert's personality.

ShimEarthninjaVastmindsilver
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

They said 10000 hours doing anything makes you an expert.

Hmm I'm a breathing expert.

silver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Earthninja said: They said 10000 hours doing anything makes you an expert.

Or it makes you realise you're no good at it. ;)

Earthninja
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2015

Interesting OP....I can see how those stick in different situations.

As far as civil service.... 'No matter how good or bad a job you did, you are now "The Expert".

lololololol...you sure know what to say!! It can differ from POD of course...but in my building...when your the designated guy...other people know/figure out quickly whether your the real expert or not...and frankly...if your not...they leave you alone and bug the shit out of the lower grade guy who DOES know. The 'expert title' gets you the grade money...but not the respect. And no...I'm not a disgruntled grade 4....but I figured out a long time ago (15 years there)....Not all money is good money. That lack of respect and really not knowing and seeing people go to other people for what you got...comes at a cost. Mentally. No matter how much you think you want the money more....you have to want to learn. And the delusion tells you you don't need/want to learn....that you already know...

I'm going to the canteen now...let me know if you need to borrow any of my job aids or my favorites link list for research .......hehehe

Damn...it's Saturday...did you make me talk about work? Our budget is not approved for OT right now...but I'll put this as a credit hour on my 3081 :mrgreen:

silver
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Empty your cup every day...

VastmindBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yesterday at lunchtime, there were a number of us staff members, sitting round the communal dining table, eating, chewing, chatting.... and one of our departmental supervisors was talking about her niece having been accepted into that famous school for Nannies ... and she said:

"Fede, you're very knowledgeable - "

('Oh blimey!' I thought, 'here we go'.....It reminded me of that sketch between Hugh Laurie (Bertie Wooster) and Stephen Fry (playing his Manservant, Jeeves...

"I say Jeeves! Jolly well done! How spiffing! Tell me - do you know EVERYTHING - ?!"
    "I don't know sir..." Came the almost imperceptibly hesitant, superb response....)

"Well, Janice, it's good of you to say so...."
    "What's the name of that famous school for Nannies where they train ladies...."
    "Norland College...it's in Bath...."

"See?!" Exclaimed Janice, "I said she'd know...! Encyclopaedic knowledge!"

"Well", I replied, "that was more like a compliment and a challenge...!" I laughed. The staff member next to me snorted her coffee, laughing, nodding in agreement...

It's OTHERS who determine you're the expert.
    If you perpetuate the belief in your mind that you're just a novice, and always will be, the ego could be kept in check.....

Buddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Having a good memory can make you sound like an expert....er, what was I saying?...

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I don't think it's good to become "the expert" because the the expert never learns anything new, because they think they already know everything!

• An "expert" is someone who seems to know more than you do about something. Notice I said "seems". They don't actually have to know more, or even be right. In fact, they can be totally wrong time and again, and people will still turn to them as the "expert" because they act like they know what they're talking about.

And pointing out this idiot you're claiming is an expert has always been wrong and the best thing you can do is listen to him and then do the exact opposite is useless. He's the "expert". He has the experience. He knows the jargon and has the connections and look, he's even published a book.

Sorry, you pushed one of my buttons. I just read that Cheney is going to give a speech about how we should declare war on Iran instead of signing a treaty. And since he's the "expert" on going to war with Muslim countries, people are actually going to hand him a microphone and listen.

• Now what does that RED button do? >:):)

• No Cinorjer, I am not a fan of mR cHrney or the pro-war anti-life crowd either. And yes, they tend to be "Expert" at something they know NOTHING about.
    "Gentlemen, fear not! True, there are cannon to the left of us, there are cannon to the right of us, and there are cannon before us. BUT, I HAVE THE MAGIC SWORD, CHARGE!!"

Now Mr LDuck, off the soap box. Off! Off!

Peace to all

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Why would you want to become an expert, @Lionduck?
    The more I learn, the less it matters.

• I am not an expert on anything, thank goodness.