Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Blogs - An extension of the Evil Ego?

What do you think about blogs, especially those 'spiritual ones'? Do you write one? Would you ever write one?

First a little personal intro: Since I like writing, I have been thinking about starting a blog, mainly to have some kind of routine to keep me active and I have been reading various blogs about religion and spirituality. However, I do get this feeling that if I start one, it just feeds my ego. I get sort of an icky feeling for "sharing my (currently non-existent) spiritual path", it feels like putting on a fancy robe and going to the middle of the marketplace shouting "look at me, I'm spyrichual!" (Well, I've worn a mala and told compeletely non-religious people what it is so let's say I have experience of this...)

However, I didn't start this topic to ask you whether or not I should start a blog (I wouldn't probably listen anyway :p ) or to seek justification for spiritual blogging. I'm just genuinely interested in the 'spiritual physics' of blogging, what does it give you? I've seen devout Orthodox nuns blogging, as well as young Muslim converts, Ashtanga yoga enthusiasts, all kinds of Pagans... seems like everyone has a need to bring their religion out to the world. I understand this can be helpful for learners (be they the blogger or the reader) but on the other hand, it seems to be quite easy to take the position of a spiritual teacher via blogging. Even if you are only recording your own path, it's a massive responsibility because your blog might be the first touch to the religion to some ardent seeker sailing the waves of Google... Is there a good reason for creating a spiritual persona that has an own website and sort of authority over the readers? (Compared to forums, we do have spiritual personas here also but a blog is usually completely dominated by the writer who can govern almost everything on their blog.)

mmoEarthninja

Comments

• Conversations are better than monologues.

Vastmindmmo
  • In a way, there's not a big difference between writing on a blog and posting on a forum. It's the idea of sharing and find other like-minded individuals with whom we can share our view of the world.

Yes, on a blog the author decides what goes and what doesn't, but that can also apply on a forum if a moderator doesn't like what you're saying. You can see a "spiritual blogger" from at least two points of view: they are either sharing what they know because they truly believe they could help others with what they've learn, or they're sharing what they know because they want people to admire them.

The responsibility of what happens next belongs both to the writer/blogger and reader. The writer could have great SEO skills and write trite articles, and the reader might be gullible enough to consider them "enlightening". Both are wrong and they'll be feeding each other's ego.

Shimsilverroots
  • I feel keeping a journal, a blog is modern version of that is useful ...

• For finding out about where you are and what you believe. This can be done on a forum through interaction but a journal gives an indication of where you have been and any changes undergone.
    • People often say meditation or dharma has no effect but on looking back at their past, they realise quite radical shifts have occurred. So it is a record for future revelation and insight.

The idea that it feeds the ego, or is an indication/pretense of insight is up to you to clarify and others to discern.

I have a blog but have not added to it in nearly a year
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com

tibellusShimKundoNerima
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shim said: (Compared to forums, we do have spiritual personas here also but a blog is usually completely dominated by the writer who can govern almost everything on their blog.)

I do wonder about that aspect, and I think a forum or discussion is much better because ideas can be explored and challenged.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

There is some sort of prayer that Tibetan teachers say to themselves when sitting on a throne to teach to remind them that its not their own personal glory that they are acquiring by teaching but that they are simply transmitters for the Dharma or something similar to that.

So it seems the hazards of putting yourself in front of others isn't just an internet phenomena. Perhaps you could take a lesson from their playbook and give yourself a reminder, personal or public, that would help keep yourself humble and combat that craving.

ShimWalkerEarthninja
  • ShimShim Veteran
    edited August 2015

@SpinyNorman Exactly. And blogs tend to be so personal that criticising someone's spiritual path on a blog feels a bit intrusive somehow. On forums everyone is sort of expecting some kind of challenge or even debate.

@person Well, it's still a long road from an ordinary fool treading the path to a Tibetan teacher. :) But indeed it's not just an internet problem. Internet has only made it a bit more common, I think. Everyone can be a guru or a celebrity on the net and gain all kinds of followers... (For me that is really frightening. Sure, I'm only a human and a very vain and insecure one and do enjoy if someone likes the things I do but 'followers' just freak me out. If there's more than five I get on my internet feet and run. :D )

• All interesting points, OP. What if your blog was more exploratory in nature, since you say you're new to the path anyway (?), and invited others to comment and share their experiences? Lobster's idea of journaling was good, too; you could have it be a combination of journal, observations, questions, etc. As opposed to the lecture format that I think is what you've been running into and are somewhat dubious about. You can invent a new form for the blog--get creative! :)

silverShimperson
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Is writing a blog different than writing a book?

Although I'm told I've read them, I have no idea what a blog is.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

A blog is like a book that arrives a page at a time. People can also put comments under the pages.

I like blogs, I don't think it's feeding your spiritual grandiosity. It might help you look deeper into your own experiences :)

Don't over think it! :) do what feels right and go for it.

silver
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Blogging ...

1. How do I know what I think till I see what I say?
    2. Whatever deep and penetrating understanding you cobble together today, will hang like an iron weight around your neck tomorrow.
    3. Putting things in words is a great way to learn that nothing of any consequence can be put into words.

Just my take.

Earthninjalobstersilverroots
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I started a couple of blogs. Damned if I can remember where they are, what I called them, or what I wrote.... but certainly no more than about 2 entries for each.... I gave up in the end.
    I really, honestly couldn't see the point.....

• @federica said:
    I really, honestly couldn't see the point.....

For some of us there may be little point. I would love to read your 'Cooking for Bodhi Tara Blog' incidentally ... or even watch your Youtube channel on [insert theme]

The point is practicing 'right speech' rather than my 'opinion is right'. Most of us especially lobster are rather inclined to be opinionated, superficial and can 'mis-speak' (I learned that term from politicians who never lie ;) ).

It is also useful for those at a similar stage of understanding to have a perspective that is comparable and offers a different angle for contemplation.

It is very difficult to put things of consequence into written form, not impossible. One way is poetry or language that has layers of meaning. However that may require practice and understanding ...

Enlightenment through blogging Iz plan.

silver

Some people use discussion forums for blogging.....

roots
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Today, I iz mostly writin' rubbish...

lobsterNerima
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Shim said:
    Blogs - An extension of the Evil Ego?

Not necessarily. It depends entirely on the person writing it and their intentions in writing it. Several monks have blogs to help people practice Buddhism. That's definitely not evil. :)

lobster
  • @seeker242
    How about an ordinary person then? :)

Well, this has been an interesting discussion. I decided not to start a blog. At least not about Buddhism. :p (not because of this thread though. Other things.)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Shim said:
    seeker242
    How about an ordinary person then? :)

Well, this has been an interesting discussion. I decided not to start a blog. At least not about Buddhism. :p (not because of this thread though. Other things.)

I think it depends entirely on one's intentions. :) I have a blog, although I haven't posted to it for a couple years maybe, hehe. I probably would if people would actually read it. But nobody ever reads it! ha!

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited September 2015

I think of them like charities: does the world really need another one? Probably not.

Is there already an existing one doing the same thing as well or better than you will? Probably yes.

But that will not stop about a bajillion people doing it anyway, all thinking: "I can do this. I need to do this. Besides, this will be different to all the others. Better because of {insert justification here}. The world needs this."

edited September 2015

I have written pretty much all of my life. It's a habit and I do it every day, though lately with less gusto than once. Call it word karma. Is it "good" or "bad" or "important" or "unimportant" or "helpful" or "useless" ... ? I don't really know, but I think there is something useful to me in this not-knowing.

Every day, I 'blog.' So what? If a blog falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound? All I can think is that writing a blog is not as bad as shooting puppies. :)

Daozensilver
  • Please continue not shooting puppies @genkaku !

lobster

If ever I start a new blog, I will be sure to title it

"Well.... it's better than shooting puppies...!"

DaozenlobsterNerima
  • Hooray! The 'best of' feature of NewBuddhist which is blog-like seems to working again on my Ipad. Which might mean it was a fault my end (ISP throttling perhaps) all the time ...

For those of you wondering, blogs can be shared between several members being given access to post and edit ...

Could be plan?

• The term "blog" comes from "web log" where writers write online to share, reflect, rant, etc., so it's like a journal. I used to do a lot of blogging but life gets in the way. But in my opinion, it's FACEBOOK that's "an extension of the evil ego." Some users on FB constantly troll for LIKES. Years ago I fell into that trap. I rarely post on FB now because I don't want/need to stroke my ego. I use FB just for messaging purposes.

• I'm sometimes suspecting that not using FB might be an extension of my ego because it makes messaging a bit more difficult... :D But it depends so much on the person and the situation.

• Putting your thoughts in a journal or in a blog can help really well, you will get a new perspective on what you actually are thinking, and set a question mark on it and then (maybe) let it go, instead of keeping it inside your head, it can therfore be refreshing to write...

As @federica said "Today, I iz mostly writin' rubbish..." maybe thats the conclusion and message for all the blogs :P

There's something self-indulgent about bloggers that puts me off. It's like people who have to talk all the time, and assume that what they are saying is actually interesting to the people around them.

something self-indulgent about bloggers

@SpinyNorman -- Absolutely right. On the other hand, you might consider that by writing in their blogs, these people may be saving you from endless self-indulgent monologues over a perfectly-nice dinner table.

lobster