Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi

Hello i just want to introduce myself, I'm dan and i've done some meditation, by myself and a weekend retreat, and a few group sessions.

I am interested in learning about real buddhism and extending my meditation practice as i'm sure it will help it.

I'm not really religious. I don't like the idea of being stuck in one religion. If that makes any sense at all.

Anyway, hi and look forward to metting you.

Dan walksweek

EarthninjaWalkerShimBunks

Comments

• Welcome. This is a pretty big place. Come on in and have a look around.

walksweek
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hi @walksweek, you said "I am interested in learning about real buddhism and extending my meditation practice as i'm sure it will help it." That's cool. I like what you said about not being stuck with one religion - to me it simply says you are a student of the world.
    :star:

walksweek
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Welcome, Dan. Hope you find something useful here.

And if you discover "real Buddhism," I hope you'll point us in the right direction.

lobsterwalksweek
  • Welcome, <3

As @genkaku says, some of us practicing unreal Buddhism and no-dharma or heresies of our own fabrication [lobster raises guilty claw], need all the help we can get ...

What sort of meditation did you learn?
    I do just mind sitting
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikantaza

walksweek
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi...nice to meet you. =)

walksweek
  • "Real Buddhism" covers a wide range. Fasten your seat belt as it will be quite a ride. =)

walksweek
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I never took you for a Bette Davis, @Lionduck but now you mention it....! :dizzy:
    Welcome Dan... :)

walksweek
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Welcome, @walksweek!
    We are a nice bunch though, be warned, we bite.
    Especially on issues like rebirth, vegetarianism and God which, go know why, every newbie brings up as if they were inventing the wheel.
    I mean, we must have hundreds of threads of those, so please check before asking.

Other than that, if your ego is not too thin-skinned and manages to survive the rod banging your head, you're likely to learn a thing or two on Buddhism, grasshopper.

• @federica said:
    I never took you for a Bette Davis, Lionduck but now you mention it....! :dizzy:
    Welcome Dan... :)

Betty Davis? Hmm, must ponder that one... <3
    Oh, almost forgot - Welcome Dan.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Lionduck said: Betty Davis? Hmm, must ponder that one...

Here....

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Hi Dan. Dharma is pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to "me" so I'm happy you are interested in it and practicing meditation. Occasionally people ask helpful and useful questions here, and sometimes the masters perk up their heads in the discussions here, so welcome and enjoy.

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited August 2015

Hi. Welcome. Buddhism mostly incorporates the Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, and the 5 precepts into practice. I can say from experience that it definitely does help with meditation practice, especially the five precepts. If it does seem too religious, it really isn't. You're not required to attend any gatherings, dress code, or anything of that nature. It's all up to you in how serious you want take it. Just keep in mind that in order for any stringed instrument to sound decent the strings can't be too loose or too tight. Good luck.

Metta

walksweeklobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@walksweek said: I'm not really religious.

Don't worry, they're a bunch of heretical secularists here!

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

It's good that you are practicing meditation right from the start. Many people just end up reading the scriptures.

• Hello, welcome, have a cup of tea! :)
    But if you're looking for real Buddhism, please don't believe anything I say!
    Enjoy the journey!

..If you're looking for real Buddhism, don't believe anything, ANYONE says.... ! ;)

• The Kalama Sutta! It's EVERYWHERE! :D

(Be prepared, it really seems to be answer to many many questions...)