Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Extremists - only a matter of time!

EarthninjaEarthninja WandererWest Australia Veteran

Namaste Sangha! I saw a post on a Buddhist Facebook page, I thought it was a joke.
@lobster I found your Hinayana sangha friend.

Here's the quote. Buddhist extremists are coming guys. Join or face unwholesome rebirth.

"When Nirvana is just beyond a man's capabilities,
he will organize a system to teach the Dharma.
If there is not enough integrity to teach the Dharma,
he will teach mahayana Buddhism.
That is why mahayana communities are filled with
degenerates -- homosexuals, other perverts, drug
and alcohol abusers, feminists, sex offenders, and these are the 'teachers'! All these defeated ones point to three words
uttered by that heretic, Nagarjuna, as justification for immoral behavior: "Samsara is Nirvana".
Sorry, false teachers, 'hell' is not 'heaven', evil is not good,
sodomy is not better than procreation, duplicity is not veracity,
appearance is not reality, nature is not God, and you are not
a teacher of the Dharma. To say that one, in time, will understand this great mystery, and until then take it on faith, is the act of a man
who likes to be dominated by women and has profound self-destruction issues. The discipline of the Five Precepts and the Eightfold Path is
designed to make us free, not mockingly disregarded as a means
to achieving a deluded sense of power. A meditating man of character
will take one look at a modern western Zen community, and after vomiting, will realize it would be better have a sangha with the
scorpions in some remote place than with such dissolutes."

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2015

[Lobster faints]

It was only a matter of time ...

Such resolute close hearted and narrow minded claims may be less acceptable in the West but with a little searching we could find similar. Remember the dharma fruitcake [to put it kindly] who was channeling Hitler?

This is why discernment is preferable to dharma sheeple and uniform docility.

However one should not take seriously anything on Facebook ... and perhaps taking things on Face level anywhere is too simple an option ...

EarthninjaWalkerroots
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I reckon it's an undercover secular Buddhist stirring up trouble, a double-dharma-agent!

EarthninjalobsterKundo
  • ShimShim Veteran

I thought they were already like that...

Best wishes,
    Armchair Buddhist afraid of Hells...

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

That person must be in a bit of pain to harbour such hatred.

roots
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited August 2015

I might have said this before and I think folks were not happy to hear it. I would say it again carefully though.
    This is what I've learned from my teacher.
    The monks supposed to be the teacher of The Law. ( their task is to lead the sentient beings to the right path, not to bend the rules and laws. )
    The Law is extremely strict, just like the law of nature is strict(if this law fails even a slight amount, there would be a huge disaster) even lot more strict than man made laws.
    Its even more strict towards the teachers of The Law because one teacher can lead countless sentient beings to the wrong path, of which destination is unhappiness.(pain and suffering - these suffering is most likely to happen in next lives, so for those who don't believe in Samsara would brush if off but that doesn't mean they are exempt from it ).
    We laymen and laywomen learn from the teachers because we have to learn from someone who knows better than us. We count on the teachings that the teachers teach us to be truthful, but if the teachers are false, what can we learn from them?
    Shouldn't they at least be a good examples for us to follow and learn from? ( because we don't have any Buddha present who is born as a person at this moment ).
    There is difference btw tolerance (embracing the differences) and connivance(overlooking the wrong doing).
    I am talking in terms of common sense of universal validity.
    If it was a cooking class or dance or art, we can explore the fusion, mix and match or whatever we'd like to try but we are talking about something that could impact many lives.
    We are all entitled to our own opinion but at the end we are responsible for it.
    And I do believe what my teacher teaches me because he practice what he preaches and he teaches what Shakyamuni Buddha has left us to follow.
    I've been told not to argue with The Law but I am just saying what I've learned and you can disagree with me.
    Wishing you all the blessings from The Buddha.

0student0
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I was blown away by this comment, it was so intense but funny as well!
    The guy commenting had a profile picture of him sitting full lotus and had a lovely white beard. He had a buddhist wall hanging and was on a decorative cushion!
    like an early 1900s Roman Catholic of the buddhist world.

I'm thinking of adding him as a friend, I'd truly love to talk to someone like this!

silver
  • @Earthninja said:
    I'm thinking of adding him as a friend, I'd truly love to talk to someone like this!

Why? Do you feel such people can gain anything or be useful in some way? Useless and deluded people, timewasters and the misguided are everywhere, without having to befriend and encourage them.

Perhaps you need the stimulation and entertainment? Ah well ... O.o

VastmindEarthninja
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2015

Jeez OP....thanks for the bad itch this early in the morning....

Earthninja

@lobster said:
    Perhaps you need the stimulation and entertainment? Ah well ... O.o

No I just think it's interesting to try and figure out where these people are coming from. :)
    And I doubt I will actually add the guy, just entertaining the idea.

I mean I could always go sit in a cave for 30 years but that's pretty boring. ;)-

• ShimShim Veteran

It's interesting how differently people see this... it's bitter, yes but in my eyes it doesn't differ from what many Buddhists say... i have those things about hell and rebirths and the dangers of doing this and that constantly going through my head... but I'm bitter too. And a bad buddhist. 8)

@Earthninja said:I mean I could always go sit in a cave for 30 years but that's pretty boring.

A cave with wi-fi?!

mmosilverEarthninjaroots
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Shim said:
    It's interesting how differently people see this... it's bitter, yes but in my eyes it doesn't differ from what many Buddhists say... i have those things about hell and rebirths and the dangers of doing this and that constantly going through my head... but I'm bitter too. And a bad buddhist. 8)

Yeah...put that way, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :confused:

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Earthninja the nutjob's (I say nutjob meaning that he is yet to break out of his shell so to speak) quote reminds me of this, which I find quite appropriately suit to the nutjob

"A bigot's mind is like the pupil of the eye-The more light one shines upon it-The more it will contract!"

The Dharma shines directly upon him but sadly through ignorance he is too blind to see....

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I reckon it's an undercover secular Buddhist stirring up trouble, a double-dharma-agent!

-I bet it was an English gentleman :-)

WalkerEarthninja
  • The most effective way to treat them is with total silence.

Much the same advice for Internet trolls.

It takes rather extreme and potentially damaging (to ones own being) levels of interaction to reach even the outer levels of potential breakthrough that @Shoshin suggests. I feel @federica option is the more skilfull for most of us ...

@federica said:
    To engage with such deluded and bitter individuals is to merely encourage their misguided and unskillful thinking and only serves to entrench the lies they tell themselves and others. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them and permit them to exhaust their negativity, letting them
    run out of wind, and deprive them of any platform they can exploit and manipulate to their advantage.
    The most effective way to treat them is with total silence.

Scary thing is I think this dude is a teacher of some sorts. Gulp***

silverShoshin
  • @Earthninja said:
    Gulp

Well said.

Contact the Dharma Police ... or do nothing? [decisions ... decisions]

Yus, get the bleedin' Dharma Police to feel his collar and take darn his particulars, also arrange for 'im to fall haccidentally darn the apples and pears at the cop shop.

• @SpinyNorman said:
    Yus, get the bleedin' Dharma Police to feel his collar and take darn his particulars, also arrange for 'im to fall haccidentally darn the apples and pears at the cop shop.

Sweet.

And now for something completely different...
    It's time to bring in the Commissioner of Silly Walks o:)

silver
  • rootsroots Veteran
    edited September 2015

This is probably mentioned on here somewhere already, but don't forget to keep your skeptical specs on when enjoying Facebook.

Ignorant people write ignorant posts to inspire people to share or like them. Any publicity is good publicity if it generates adviews.

lobsterEarthninja
  • Facebook = McDonalds.
    Crowd-pleasing mediocrity is the mainstream path to great wealth.

Vastmind
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

What are your thoughts about monk who is saving Buddhism from extremists in Myanmar. I support him because i know how Buddhism is disappeared from former Buddhist countries.

Somewhere i read being positive does not mean to negate harsh reality.

• @rohit said:
    What are your thoughts about monk who is saving Buddhism from extremists in Myanmar. I support him because i know how Buddhism is disappeared from former Buddhist countries.

Somewhere i read being positive does not mean to negate harsh reality.

You are right. Buddhism is practice of peace but does acknowledge battle and violence as an unfortunate reality. The key is that though one may have to kill (ex: soldiers in battle), the Buddha is quoted as saying in such circumstance,"..It is enough to kill the will to kill." He was addressing a question from a general who was one of his lay followers.
    [I am sorry, I do not have the exact citation as I don't have my references handy. (sorry fedrica, I have to take a hit on that one :3 ). Perhaps one of our resident historians can provide a fuller account with the appropriate citations.]

However, hate must never be matched with hate. When the threat is over, the olive branch reemerges. The right or wrong of the monk's actions depends upon his intent, his heart. That we can't judge.

Peace to all

Earthninjammo
  • I have heard it said that no war has ever been started in the Buddha's name, which is a nice little line, but I suspect it is not true. When people crave power, they will twist and turn anything until it fits their agenda.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Daozen said:
    I have heard it said that no war has ever been started in the Buddha's name, which is a nice little line, but I suspect it is not true. When people crave power, they will twist and turn anything until it fits their agenda.

Well you also have to think about what the definition of "war" is. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, war is

: a state or period of fighting between countries or groups

a situation in which people or groups compete with or fight against each other

an organized effort by a government or other large organization to stop or defeat something that is viewed as dangerous or bad

So in this light, it's clear that many Buddhist groups in South and Southeast Asia have engaged in "war" or some sort.