Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Songs in the Key of Pope Francis"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited September 2015 in General Banter

It's too self-serving by half, I suppose, but I recently wrote a newspaper column entitled "Songs in the Key of Pope Francis." Given the pope's current rock-star tour here in the U.S., others suggested I might flog it a bit.

FWIW

CinorjerlobsterLionduckVastmindBunks

Comments

• I really liked that.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Nice!!

• It was a nice column, thank you @genku for sharing.

While I have not written any columns, mercifully, I have attended, voluntarily and involuntarily, Christian services. Sometimes, in full military uniform, memorials for brothers in arms. Sometimes, in field uniform, impromptu services held by the Military Chaplin (well meaning, of course). Of coarse, there was a wedding or two..
    In all such cases, I dutifully held my tongue and quietly uttered my own prayers. I also let the moment flow, managing to actually enjoy the happier moments.
    As you expressed, albeit in different terms, allowing oneself to be foolish and to honestly cheer for the others (and be happy for them) or allow others to grieve in their own way is or can be rewarding in and of itself. We can be in the moment without getting wrapped up in our own "-ism".
    That's a good thing. <3

Peace to all

Cinorjersilver
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    I really liked that.

Ditto.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited September 2015

Well, I enjoyed your brief - but dense - as in rich in meaning but especially:

Sing loud in church
    And be off-key!
    Abandon sacred
    Harmony.

Sing loud and in
    That singing see
    The untamed heart
    That’s always free.

~That was really nice, @genkaku.

It brings back memories of me as a kid sniggering at the older ladies singing with their wavery voices, heh. (and it was an Episcopal church, too) Now I'm one of 'em. :grin:

CinorjerKundo