Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the "complete human being"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Who, precisely, said it, I don't know, but I have always liked the encouragement, "The complete human being is a Buddha. The complete Buddha is a human being."

I guess I like it because it encourages a nothing-held-back effort in spiritual adventure. No pussy-footing, no praise, no blame, no texts or temples ... just a complete effort. In one sense, a complete action is sort of spooky like jumping off a cliff: Who's got your back?! Eeek! But, too, what could be more complete -- and hardly scary -- than a sneeze? Sneezing's easy as pie, right? And there's no way to add a snazzy belief system or soaring praise when you're in the middle of a sneeze.

Maybe Buddhism is easier than at first (or second or third or fouth ... ) imagined. Gather thought-word-and-deed into a single, ball and ... give it a whirl.

Just a little noodling from here. "Completeness" (no extras) seems pretty important.

Invincible_summerEarthninjalobsterRodrigosovaZero

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"How wonderful! How wonderful, things exactly as they are!"

(TNH.)

Invincible_summerEarthninja
  • @genkaku said:
    Who, precisely, said it, I don't know, but I have always liked the encouragement, "The complete human being is a Buddha. The complete Buddha is a human being."

The incomplete human being is a human Buddha too.

Which seemingly takes away completing. However the ensnared and enthralled Buddha is often focussed on trviality, dukkha, ignorance and not the innate perfection/completeness.

It is a bit like a forest. We have trees, saplings and nuts. The seeds are complete, trees in potential but perfect. The saplings are growing and their nature too is complete. We have fruiting and even falling without being heard trees. All complete, the whole woodland.

So there is renewel and a cycle of being.

http://rogernolan.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/nothing-to-do-nowhere-to-go-no-one-to_11.html

Bunks
  • 'A being,' lord. 'A being,' it's said. To what extent is one said to be 'a being'?"

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up[1] there, tied up[2] there, one is said to be 'a being.'

Satta Sutta

The complete human being is not a being.

upekka
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2015

Just being human.

For now.

Better than a human being, a human going, going, gone!

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2015

Labels are great as tools but we can only define what we do, not what we are.

I am typing but am not a typer.

Soon I will be sleeping but only for a while.

I am being human but will not always be.

We don't have to be anything to do the human.

Do do do... Do the human with me.

lobster
  • @genkaku said:
    "Completeness" (no extras) seems pretty important.

Just when you thought it was complete. Dukkha. Back to basics ...
    Even though it belongs to Taoism:

When people see things as beautiful,
    ugliness is created.
    When people see things as good,
    evil is created.
    Being and non-being produce each other.
    Difficult and easy complement each other.
    Long and short define each other.
    High and low oppose each other.
    Fore and aft follow each other.

http://personaltao.com/teachings/questions/what-is-yin-yang/

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:When people see things as beautiful, ugliness is created.

Ice-cream will always be beautiful to me. ;)

lobstersilver
  • Tao Tao had a coin?

• @genkaku said:
    In one sense, a complete action is sort of spooky like jumping off a cliff: Who's got your back?! Eeek!

In the Bhagavad Gita sold by some of our strangest claimants to Buddha Dharma (the Harried Chrishnas*), this idea is explored.
    http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/summary-of-the-bhagavad-gita/

Basically commitment to action.

Today I'll be avoiding cliffs ... O.o

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Ice-cream will always be beautiful to me. ;)

amen! :blush:

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@genkaku are you familiar with the idea of the Ubermensch?

The Übermensch (German for "Overman, Overhuman, Above-Human, Superman, Superhuman, Ultraman, Ultrahuman, Beyond-Man"; German pronunciation: [ˈˀyːbɐmɛnʃ]) is a concept in the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche. In his 1883 book Thus Spoke Zarathustra (German: Also Sprach Zarathustra), Nietzsche has his character Zarathustra posit the Übermensch as a goal for humanity to set for itself.

Not a Nietzsche scholar myself but I like the word a lot.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@sova -- I don't know Nietzsche except superficially but suspect that the construct of an uebermensch has a lot to do with a fat (but oh so sublime) ego.... you know, the Ayn Rand kind of stuff. I don't see Buddhism as embracing that leaning ... if that was the direction of your question.

• Thus Spoke Zarathustra is a book my father mentioned and recommended many times. I eventually read it after a grounding in a more sane Dharma reasoning. I think Nietzsche was advocating human will or understanding above something greater. Interestingly I feel Nietzsche reached for that Übermensch mind set but without the skilful means just went cuckoo (a technical term).

The 'completion'/understanding of nirvana/awakening can temporarily lead to zen psychosis, declaration of divinity and ranting on a cliched scale ... :3

However it also unfolds into a developing possibility of greater compassion, empathy, humility, spooky powers, calming, satisfaction and peace etc. A settling. B)

As @genkaku says there is no comparison between Ayn Rand, Nietzsche and other rampant egos [lobster finds rock to hide under] and genuine Buddhist insight ...