Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wow Whales and More Wows

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Whales bask under Northern Lights in Norway

howCinorjer

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

That's the Loch Ness monster, isn't it? ;)

Earthninja
  • Well, darn. Video blocked here in Michigan. But lovely screenshot.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    Well, darn. Video blocked here in Michigan. But lovely screenshot.

Me too :(

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hopefully this BBC News clip will work :)

robotlobster
  • Humpback whales are doing really well out here. A friend sent me this image of a herd of them he saw off northern Vancouver island this fall. He said there was at least a hundred.

silverhowShoshin
  • How wonderful. I wants wail.

I have only seen the Northern lights briefly at Samye Ling monastery. Positive Whales should be compulsory and members of the United Nations. :3

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

They are amazing to see on film....in the flesh it must be a surreal experience....I've seen dolphins, pilot whales and orcas around the island (October is the time when the orcas make their presence felt-not that I've seen them every year though) seeing them is surreal, always a pleasurable experience, but I've never seen their big cetaceans cousins in the flesh....

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Just a note, the northern lights mostly do not look the same in person as on film/video. Cameras pick up a much wider range of light than us, and the shutter speed and other settings are adjusted to allow the right amount of light in. They are still amazing to see, absolutely. We are blessed to live in a northern latitude and we see them many times a year. But what we see versus what the camera picks up is usually quite different. They are not as bright and the array of colors is less visable to the human eye most of the time. We see green and red, but the camera will pick up pink, blue and purple. Not trying ot burst any bubbles, just I've known people who take expensive vacations just to see them and are disappointed when they aren't quite what they expected because of photos. Most aurora photos are also edited, and many are stacked (many images placed one on top of the other to make the ideal photo).

This picture my husband took on St Pattys Day, which was a major solar storm. The purples were not visible to the eye at all. The greens were mostly low on the horizon and the pillars (that taller, sharper shooting lights that go higher in the sky) were only slightly visible and mostly looked like someone shining a flashlight into the sky. Still an awesome night to watch them, but be careful about assuming they look exactly the same in person as in film. Mostly they don't. Severe level storms in the farthest norther latitudes they can, yes. But a camera will still pick up far more.

Shoshin
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@karasti I've actually seen pinks and purples in auroras. Only a couple of times, and yes I'm quite a bit further north.

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We see them on occasion, yes. But not like they show in photos, and in this photo, we could only see green to the naked eye. We're at about 48 degree north latitude on the MN/Ontario border, so even though we suffer with miserably cold winters (come on, El Nino!) we get a lot of northern lights, so no complaints from me, it's a good trade! Plus we live in an area with little light pollution so we can see them from our yard, which is nice, lol. They ahve been incredibly active the last 6 months, though the last few good shows we have had clouds :/