Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strange experience on the verge of going to sleep

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all - hope everyone is well today?

I just had an unusual experience while having a bit of an afternoon nap that I've experienced a number of times before. I wondered if anyone out there has had something similar.

I will just be on the point of going to sleep or just waking up - I guess you could call it dozing. I am dreaming but can still hear noises going on around me. In the dream I'll see someone walk out of a room and go to slam the door behind them. Just as they're doing this a door in the house will actually slam at exactly the same time as in the dream!

Now, how on earth did I know someone was going to slam a door at the other end of the house or drop a piece of steel on concrete next door (which is what happened just now when I was napping) at exactly the same time as something similar in my dream? It's weird.

I hope I have explained myself reasonably well. I ain't very eloquent!!

Earthninja

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited October 2015

Heck, I ain't so eloquent either, hahah. :glasses:

I ain't so very scientific, but I think that peeps can be out-of-body sensitive during that period in between awake and asleep, and are aware of things in a way that defies explanation, and you just 'know' what's happening in your house.

I also have had strange thing happen a few times in the months while I was still working - being woken up just before the time I would normally wake up, and I would hear somebody calling me LOUDLY, and it jerked me awake. One time it seemed like my mom's voice but not quite, another time it was an unknown male voice and another, it was my boss's voice (female). Very loud, very weird.

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks I know what you mean... Kinda like "deja vu"

So this just a theory (one of many I might add)

Because when this happens we are still in the twilight zone, the stage between sleep & awake, a time when the mind more often than not, likes to play tricks....That is, the event happens, but it doesn't register with the normal 'sense time' (which is still in dream-time) then the mind rapidly conjures up a sequence of events in the dream to coincide with the past external stimuli that activated the sense doors, which makes it seem like it happens before it happens...(The senses catching up with the events)

In the past when in dream-time I've heard a car horn going off only to wake in the split second a car horn goes off...(Well that's according to my senses)

You might find the above theory a load of bunk (excuse the pun :) ) I know I often do when I think back on what I've said or written.... :)

lobsterBunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It might be one universe bumping into another. ;)

• Maybe something similar has happened to me.

There's more or less synchronicity how this world (of people) works. Synchronicity started to bug me back in the 80s when I drove with my car long distances in tracts with very infrequent settlements (clumsy English?). Long time without seeing other people or cars, and then there's someone walking alongside the road and a car is coming from the opposite direction. We meet on the same "line" at the same moment. That has happened plentiful of times back then and these days, too.

How can you suddenly know instinctly that someone is wathing you (you turn around and your eyes meet someone else's eyes) or someone else instinctly knows you are watching her/him?

0student0
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

This happens to me frequently, especially if I nap in a car or on a plane. I cannot get into deeper sleep, so I am asleep but not. I can react to the world, but it becomes part of my dream world as well. So strange. There is quite a bit of writing about such things online, I find them fascinating to read about.

lobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2015

I feel @federica explanation is how this phenomena arises. In the dream world of the awake I would also mention that some of these strange phenomena can also occur for experienced cushion squashers. For Real.

Bunksrohit
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yeah - it's hard to explain but I almost feel like time in my dream goes backwards so that the dream moment lines up with the awakened moment. Hard to put into words, it's just a feeling.......

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Yeah - it's hard to explain but I almost feel like time in my dream goes backwards so that the dream moment lines up with the awakened moment. Hard to put into words, it's just a feeling.......

I've experienced this!!! Very weird, it's like you know the door is swinging closed. Then there is the bang and you wake up to the sound of the door bang. Spooky stuff

• @lobster said:
    In the dream world of the awake ...

I love that line!

We pay attention to the dream-like phenomena in the world of the awake if they are somehow meaningful for us.

"Jung's belief was that, just as events may be connected by causality, they may also be connected by meaning. Events connected by meaning need not have an explanation in terms of causality."

@Earthninja said:Spooky stuff

It must be them quantum particles getting confused!

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited October 2015

Something like that may happen if you flip a quantum coin. It's called as "Quantum Flipism".

I had an interesting year after reading this book:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

• (I didn't know that the great song "Such a Shame" by the great Talk Talk is about flipism.)

edited October 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    I had an interesting year after reading this book:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

That book had a cult following back in the day...I remember buying a dice whilst visiting a friend in Germany, on the sides of the dice (in German) were "Sleep" "Play" "Eat" "Exerciser" (I can't remember what was on the other two sides)....

So my question to you (whoever you might be) is : "What would you put on the six sides of a dices to motivate a Dharma practitioner ?"

Um I feel a sideline business starting up "The Dharma Dice" Just go with the roll.....

My apologies for the sidetrack @Bunks :)

Perhaps I should have started another thread :)

Bunks
    edited October 2015

What a great idea! You could roll it first thing in the morning then again at lunch time.......I might try it!

1. Generosity
    2. Ethical Conduct
    3. Patience
    4. Joyful Effort
    5. Concentration
    6. Wisdom

=)

WalkerShoshin

"Meditate then ice-cream" would be on all 6 sides. ;)

BunksWalkersilverShoshin
    edited October 2015

@Shoshin - I rolled Patience for the morning....

Getting what I do not want
    And that which hinders my desire
    There my mind finds fuel for misery
    Anger springs from it and beats me down

Therefore I will utterly destroy
    The sustenance of this my enemy
    My foe, whose sole intention is
    To bring me sorrow

Shantideva - Bodhicharyavatara

Shoshin
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

How about the six elements, or the six sense gates?

BunksShoshin

@Walker said: How about the six elements, or the six sense gates?

I do those as sets, so it would only be 2 options. We had it hard, you know. ;)

Pity we don't have a five sided dice.......

a) five aggregates
    b) five hindrances
    c) five precepts

=)

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited October 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    "Meditate then ice-cream" would be on all 6 sides. ;)

So you let a dice make your decisions. ;) Life is fliping a coin all the time because everything that could happen does happen.

Here're my pick of six :(I guess these are things I try to practice everyday anyway :) )

Sati (Mindfulness off the cushion)

Metta ( Loving Kindness)

Karuna (Compassion)

Dana ( Generosity-Giving)

Samma Vaca ( Right Speech)

Nekkhamma ( Renunciation)

One could practice whatever the dice happen to land on for an hour, half a day, a day, a week, a month, whatever amount of time one chooses...Just focusing the mind on one specific task....( fine tuning the mind, so to speak)

The mind likes a challenge and a gamble ( ....to gamble in a beneficial way that is :) )

WalkerBunks