Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chill out at work now and zen with app

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited October 2015 in General Banter

I have a built in one...No batteries or chargers needed.... :)

"These aim to help you develop calm and compassion, even in the midst of a modern working life.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11533556

Bunks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Any peace calm meditation I need to pay for - I can do for myself more cheaply.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The more I think about those using these gadgets, the more I wonder what would happen if the battery goes flat and there's no power source in sight or a power cut....

Attachment and dependency comes to mind

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I think the point is being missed by most of the replies here. Have any of you ever listened to the Buddhist Geeks podcast? They aren't just riding the mindfulness wave that's been cresting for the past couple of years - the founders are quite serious practitioners of Buddhism and have hosted many talks and conferences with respected teachers and scholars about Buddhism and modernity.

Having meditation resources available to whoever may need them in whatever way is most convenient isn't a bad thing. I'm not sure how it's any different from downloading a guided meditation from Dharmaseed or listening to one on Youtube, something that many "real" Buddhists do.

And the app costs $2-$5... less than a box of incense and many times less than a zafu, both things that many "real" Buddhists use every day for their own meditation practice.

What would happen if the battery runs out or their mobile device breaks or goes missing? Well, hopefully the user can recall what they've learned and try to do some meditation based on what they've practiced. I wouldn't assume that whoever uses these sort of apps/devices will automatically be dependent and addicted... sort of sets up this "holier than thou" hierarchy.

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

When you're on a tight budget, you have to prioritise.

I have nothing against such devices.
    I just have to direct my money where it's needed most.

Invincible_summer
    edited October 2015

I guess the point I'm trying to make (in the long run) is this.....

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is to behold the mind-The mind is the root from which all things grow-If you can understand the mind, everything else is included!"

~BodhiDharma

Like @federica I'm not against people using those devices-each to their own (for some people these types of gadgets can no doubt help relieve stress and as you say some may take what they have learnt and put it to beneficial use "device-free" ) I'm just cautious of the overall long term benefits for us creatures of habits and quick fixes ... :)

Ok the image was somewhat melodramatic, I was just making a point, be it an 'extreme' one :)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said: The more I think about those using these gadgets, the more I wonder what would happen if the battery goes flat and there's no power source in sight or a power cut....

Yeah, simplicity is the best approach, less to go wrong, more contentment. Chuck all those mobile devices in a bucket of water and get your life back! Live like the Amish!

Spiny Luddite

lobsterInvincible_summer
    edited October 2015

@Shoshin said:
    The more I think about those using these gadgets, the more I wonder what would happen if the battery goes flat and there's no power source in sight or a power cut....

Attachment and dependency comes to mind

and

@SpinyNorman said: Yeah, simplicity is the best approach, less to go wrong, more contentment. Chuck all those mobile devices in a bucket of water and get your life back! Live like the Amish!

Actually these are good points.

Isn't it incredible how we take so MUCH for granted?
    That if we flick the light-switch, it SHALL come on; that if we turn the tap, the water SHALL run; that if we adjust the thermostat the gas central heating SHALL fire up....

And when we have power cuts (or as I believe they're known in the USA, 'power outages') we feel vulnerable and unsure. The first thing we wonder is 'I wonder how long this is going to last?' because we are confident in the supposition that someone, somewhere is working to fix the 'problem'.

If we have had advance warning of the water supply being suspended, we are advised to fill pots, pans and large containers with water, to compensate for the lack of it flowing through the tap.
    So we set water by, and store it as advised - and isn't it amazing how quickly we go through it? We use it in such a cavalier manner, with such unconscious presumptuousness, that faced with the experience of having to use it in measured doses, it stilts our convenience, and even causes mild resentment....

No power.
    So we light candles and don warmer clothing.... little pausing to consider that elsewhere in the world, this may be a quotidian ritual, and so the candles will quickly lose their charm (particularly if they need replacement after being consumed.... what then??)

And clothing soils... but how can we throw stuff in the washing machine, if we can't set the control to 'woollens and delicates' and start the wash - ?!

Perhaps, instead of 'downloading the app' it would do us good to actually cut everything off, and try living the basic simple life, without all the mod-cons - and then finding peace, serenity and calm in having to consider everything we do, and use, with pinpointed focus and concentration!

We do take such a lot for granted. There was a big fuss in the local Tescos recently because they started charging 5p for carrier bags!

Invincible_summer

Today, we had a male client return a shirt which did not fit him. There was nothing wrong with it; but it just didn't fit him. Unfortunately for him, he had ripped the cellophane 'envelope' it had come in, and disposed of all the inner packaging (card shape holder, collar support) so I informed him that sadly, we were unable to give him a refund, as the shirt was not in "re-saleable condition", as specified both in notices available at the till points/checkouts, AND on the receipts.
    Well.
    You would have thought I had said to him, "No we can't give you a refund, and what's more we vant your clodes, your boots and your moddersaikel" with the added intention of depriving him of his home, his dog and his bag of golf clubs.

It appears that for some, all life ceases to have meaning, and it all fades to trivia, if they can't have a refund on a £19.95 shirt.....

Anyone who spends that much on a shirt has got more money than sense anyway. ;)

"Quel' che costa poco, costa caro"

What you buy cheaply becomes expensive (on the premise that if it's cheap and tat, you'll need to buy another and replace it sooner, instead of buying something more expensive of better quality, to begin with, of greater durability...)

Now, now, dear, you're not at work now. ;)

WalkerShoshin
    edited October 2015

@federica said:
    "Quel' che costa poco, costa caro"

What you buy cheaply becomes expensive (on the premise that if it's cheap and tat, you'll need to buy another and replace it sooner, instead of buying something more expensive of better quality, to begin with, of greater durability...)

Always the saleswoman...no rest for the wicked :wink:

I have the reputation of being matchless in my sales expertise.

One Friday evening, after the store closed, my Manager, Julie, asked me "Are you in tomorrow?"
    "Saturday? Yeah... sure...."
    "Well, given that you managed to sell 48 boxes of shortbread-covered biscuits in 2 hours, I expect big things of you, tomorrow.... " she continued.

"We've run a check and we have 198 McMillan Nurse Charity Pin lapel badges left. Every store has until tomorrow to finish sales of them. I want them all gone by close of business tomorrow night, Fede. I'm counting on you!"
    "Oh thanks very much for the ample warning, Boss! Sheesh! The impossible I can do, but miracles take me a bit longer!"
    She laughed.

By saturday 11.45am, so did I.
    I'd sold the lot in fewer than 3 hours.
    Well, ok. Not all of them.

six were sold by someone else....

Shoshin