Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bah humbug!

I just wanted to get in an early "Bah humbug!" in anticipation of the so-called festive season.

But if you were looking forward to a nice non-theist pagan festival with presents, be very careful - don't let Santa down your chimney!
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1299/santy.html

ShoshinWalker

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Merry Christmas, Spiny! (I thought I'd get in first with that one - back atcha!)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I can't tell you how easy Christmas became in our household when we decided that the only presents we allowed in our home was the festive company of friends and family.

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, Christmas presents are a real nuisance and a prime source of bah-humbuggery. A lot of people "recycle" unwanted Christmas presents, re-wrap them and give them to somebody else...but you have to be careful not to give a present to the person who gave it you in the first place ( ahem ). ;)

• What a comforting thing to know! From now on me geezer shall give a drink or more to Father Xmas without any hesitation.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

DairyLamaWalker
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We keep gifts pretty limited. We generally give something homemade to anyone outside of our house. We've made Irish Cream, canned veggies, beer, homemade tea mixes, craft projects, whatever. My husband and I usually get one gift for each other, always very limited in cost. For the 3 kids, we follow the "something I want, something I need, something to wear and something to read" rule. They usually pick a few things for each category, and we choose which one to get them. Most of the time the "something I want" is an experience, like a family day of skiing or hiking or whatever.

I don't mind Christmas time generally. The shopping we do I usually do online to avoid stores or I shop locally if I can find what I need (which is rare, we live in a small tourist town that mostly shuts down for winter). I like to bake and leave baggies of treats for people randomly, and we always choose someone in town to be a secret santa family for, someone we know needs stuff for themselves and/or their kids. I like decorating and the early winter time of year. I like having all my kids at home and spending time with family we don't see that often.

I don't like being made to feel like it's an obligation. My mom always has really high expectations for these huge family Christmas celebrations and it never happens the way she imagines and she ends up let down. Then she tries again the next year. Rinse, repeat. I don't like parties most of the time and I hate when things are scheduled out. I love to hang out, have a glass of wine and visit with people. I don't love having to play cheesy games, lol.

My favorite tradition is from my Pagan practice, which is to make and burn a Yule log. We really enjoy doing it with the kids every year.

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

All I want for Christmas is one of those Leftist t-shirts. I'd wear it with pride! :p

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Don't let @SpinyNorman be your Santa on Christmas :lol:

WalkerhowDairyLama
  • Well, it's BAH HUMBUG! and have a Happy New Year too!

Pass the ice cream and let the eggnog fall where it may...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Trust me - I'll catch it before it hits the ground..... :lol:

Lionducksilver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2015

@Pöljä said: What a comforting thing to know! From now on me geezer shall give a drink or more to Father Xmas without any hesitation.

Satan being Santa is quite clever, the bringer of nice presents whereas God is a bit of party-pooper. ;)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

It's nice to see the kiddies get excited at Christmas time.

Apart from that I must confess I'd be happy if they called the whole thing off.

Yes, but the kiddies are getting excited now... what with Hallowe'en, then it will be Bonfire night (here) thanksgiving (in the USA), by the time they get to christmas, they'll be plummed out.... I know I shall be.... Carols and Christmas songs!? And it's not even November!? Fer cryin' out loud, gimme a break!! :rage:

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I love the season....Like everything else....it's what you make of it.

I LOVE doing the Holiday cards...and seeing people go the extra mile...and the smells....and a decorated tree? Hello!!?? Cheerful at it's finest. The shitty stuff.....yeah....it's a shame....but I try to keep things simple and focus on the most important aspects I want my children and family to see about that time of year!!!!

silver
  • @Vastmind said:
    I love the season....Like everything else....it's what you make of it.

I LOVE doing the Holiday cards...and seeing people go the extra mile...and the smells....and a decorated tree? Hello!!?? Cheerful at it's finest. The shitty stuff.....yeah....it's a shame....but I try to keep things simple and focus on the most important aspects I want my children and family to see about that time of year!!!!

Now THAT is 'BAH HUMBUG!' with a smile. <3

Vastmind