Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wooo Hooo "Free Lunch" (Well kind of)

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I just scored a packet of ASB "All Blacks" coffee....
The bank is advertising free coffee give a way...They didn't say anything about being a customer so I went along to the local branch and asked for one for my son (he has/had an account with them before he left for his big OE) ...

Not that I'm a rugby fan... but one can't help being carried away with rugby fever, especially now that they are playing their ol rivals the Aussies in the World cup final this coming weekend..

Aussies (this includes you @Bunks :) ) BE AFRAID ! BE VERY AFRAID ! :lol:

Invincible_summer

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Ha! You Kiwi's and rugby.......talk about fanaticism!

I have no interest in rugby either. Living in Melbourne we get no coverage of it. Most people down here wouldn't even know it was on.

Given we won the cricket, happy to give you the rugby :)

Ain't I nice........

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2015

I saw Richie McCaw once at a local petrol station (he must have been visiting a friend) boy is he big, over six foot (and that's just across the shoulders :lol: ) in the video one does not get to see how BIG these players really are...

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@SpinyNorman There aren't any coal mines in Wales any more - Mrs Thatcher closed 'em all down.

DairyLama

Real athletes play Aussie Rules!!

Exhibit A - Majak Daw (North Melbourne Kangaroos)

Exhibit B - Will Skelton (Wallabies)

Shoshin
    edited October 2015

Rugby and Tibetan Buddhism....

We are fortunate enough to have a Geshe come to the island once a month to give a Dharma talk...Anyhow a few years ago (at the time of another Rugby World Cup) Geshe-la and a couple of monks were staying at a friend's place, well a few of us were invited to dinner at the friend's place with Geshe-la and the monks , after dinner Geshe-la and the monks retired to their room, (one would have thought to meditate), well kind of.... they were contemplating the rugby match that was on TV that evening,this friend had-(in the passed tense 'he got rid of it a year or so ago) a small portable TV (he not much into technology-he doesn't have a computer nor mobile phone) which he had set up in the monk's room... They were all downstairs watching the All Blacks play..They are big All Blacks fans.... :)

It reminds me of that movie "The Cup"

BunksWalker

I actually used to work for ASB in Takapuna many years ago @Shoshin.

A lovely time in my life.

I lived at one end of Takapuna Beach and worked at the other. A lovely stroll in summer!

Shoshin

Takapuna's a nice suburb.....

Oowooo Just had another thought.......
    My friend might miss out on the usual merit bonus, now that his thrown out the TV... They are all here this week for the sand mandala ....I wonder how Geshe-la and the monks are going to cope san TV.....which means san world cup final.... :lol:

BunksWalker
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited October 2015

Isn't Rugby a form of a legalized grudge match? :)

Sometimes it looks as if the Kiwi's are ready to turn anything (even chess) into a contact sport. <3

Good luck to your All Blacks.

edited October 2015

@Lionduck said:

Gridiron! Rugby ! the only difference is one wears armour and padding and the other toughs it out... Regardless it's just a bunch of grown men playing with their balls....Some (mostly other men) find this exciting to watch, go figure :) :

I've got my free coffee so I'm happy :)

BTW the reason why the free coffee promotion by the bank... because some of the matches are being play early morning Kiwi time and the coffee's meant to be a pick-me-up...

I don't watch the matches (only highlights shown on the news-it's unavoidable) and nor do I drink coffee, however one of my son's who lives in Europe does both... Guess what he's getting for a Xmas present this year....Scrooge has got nothing on me :lol: mind you the post will cost an arm and a leg....

SO I guess there's some truth to the saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"

Bunks
  • You're right, Shoshin. It does appear Gridiron is derived from Rugby.
    On another thread, I goofed and called the All Black a Soccer team (my bad :3).
    I must have been more sleepy that usual. The highlights do take to boredom out of it (Gridiron, Rugby, Soccer, Base(Yawn)ball. Unless, of course, you are either a fan(atic) or a player. ;)

Postage is a B....! Sometimes.

Shoshin

@Lionduck said:

Sumo Wrestling with a ball tossed in.......

LionduckShoshin
  • @Bunks said:
    Sumo Wrestling with a ball tossed in.......

Sumo wrestling is gentler.

federicaBunksShoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

When a football/soccer player is writhing on the ground, clutching his leg in supposed agony (slo-mo will clearly show he was hit on the shoulder) he is putting on a performance worthy of an Oscar (this type of behaviour is prevalent among the 'latin-blooded' teams... Spain, Italy, sometimes France, occasionally even the Portuguese or Greek).

When a Rugby player is writhing on the ground in agony, you can bet your gramma's Zimmer and hearing aid, he's damn well hurt, and in most certainly in agony. Probably a broken bone. Even two, on a good day.....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Soccer players really are a bunch of pussies, they fall over as soon as you look at them!

• Except for the women. They generally don't play that game while playing that game.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SpinyNorman said:
    Soccer players really are a bunch of pussies, they fall over as soon as you look at them!

you don't even have to be looking at them....