Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the opportunity to be wrong

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited November 2015 in General Banter

It seems to me that of all the things Buddhism is good at, one of the most important skills it delivers is the opportunity to be wrong. How much of this life is given over to sweating blue blazes in an effort to be right, get it right, improve what is not yet improved and so forth. When is time given over to what is bound to occur no matter how hard anyone tries ... being wrong.

This is more than just a wry observation, I think, because the times when I have learned most in my life seem to have occurred after I have gotten something wrong ... and sometimes very wrong indeed. Naturally it is nice to get something right, but in terms of growth and understanding, it's hard to do better than being wrong. In Buddhist practice there may be too little virtue or too much by far; too little walk-the-walk and too much talk-the-talk ... or vice versa, etc. etc. There seems to be no end to the things anyone might get wrong ... which probably relates to how many things anyone might imagine they could get right.

Just noodling here. What do you think? If you imagine you've got it all wrong, well, that doesn't seem to be entirely correct. On the other hand, imagining you got it right seems to be proven not quite right either, given a little time and patience. "Right" and "wrong" are not relevant in one sense, but in another, they certainly have a thing or two to say. What's your view?

silverRodrigoDavidlobster0student0Invincible_summer

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Do you basically mean learning from mistakes?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I was about to come back with the smart-alec remark that 'I'm never wrong' but I think there are more ways of looking at this issue than seem immediately apparent...

For a start it depends on the degree of error.
    Sometimes, the 'wrongness' is quite trivial and directly affects you alone; but it can ride right up there with a catastrophe that affects the life of others.

"If it doesn't fit, can I bring it back?"
    "Yes, of course, no problem - but as we no longer hand out plastic bags, FOC please ensure you DO keep the receipt."
    "Yes, I will, thank you so much!"

Customer leaves. I notice I haven't actually put the receipt in her bag with her goods. ooops....

Compare my 'wrong doing' with that of the Captain of the Costa Concordia.

So I think it very much depends on several things:

• The incident itself;
    • The repercussions;
    • the personal attitude of the 'wrong-doer.
  • Now we can be proud of all our one-legged A's. :o

Earthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

You make great noodles, @genkaku.

lobsterInvincible_summerKale4Dayzdantepw
  • One can be wrong in the right way and vice versa.

How so?

Well it might be wrong for some to say, as it is right to think for oneself.

Examples:

• It is wrong to speak the truth in all circumstances for example when you are unskilful, in dharma evangelical mode, to benefit the ignorant when it includes you etc.
    • It is right to speak the truth when it karmically benefits the situation, not always easy to discern, try noble silence if unsure or dealing with demons - talking of demons, they only understand lies as truth ...
    • Depths of realisation change for boddhisatvas. Only real world Buddhas always speak relative truths, absolute truth is not spoken (sorry binary thinkers, Truth is at least quantum in nature)

... and now back to the Dukkha lies ...

Lionduck
  • The truth will set you free or will enslave you or do absolutely nothing. It all depends on what 'Truth' is being applied...

Opps! Caffeine low and distracted by a new tablet.
    Darn that ADHD!