Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism bias

AjeevakDharmanaAjeevakDharmana Explorer
edited November 2015 in Buddhism Today

**I have heard that Christians and even some atheists complain that normally atheists do not bash Buddhism and sometimes even present it in positive light..... Quite contrary to how they treat major theistic religions. Is it true? **

Comments

• I think it is a generalization.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2015

Buddhists can be theistic, atheistic or agnostic. An agnostic approach will outsmart an atheistic one and the atheist looking to belittle a view knows it.

Any solid position can be taken down.

Earthninjalobster
  • The hard core lump Buddhism in with everything else.
    For all else, not a clue.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

All concepts and beliefs are untrue. Even this one. Hah.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Athiests don't know enough about Buddhism to bag it!

One of my Tibetan teachers stated the other night that millions of years ago humans lived to 85,000 years of age. He wasn't joking either!

Tell that to an Athiest and see what they say.

• @AjeevakDharmana said:
    Is it true?

Yes. o:)

ShoshinAjeevakDharmana
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@AjeevakDharmana said: **I have heard that Christians and even some atheists complain that normally atheists do not bash Buddhism and sometimes even present it in positive light..... Quite contrary to how they treat major theistic religions. Is it true? **

The Christians say that Buddhists are polytheistic, and the atheists say that Buddhists are non-theist, so I think they are fighting over us! Nice to be wanted though. ;)

ZenshinlobsterWalkerInvincible_summer
  • Why would it matter?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Just like everything else, it varies. My 13 year old claims to be an atheist at this point in his life. He knows quite different, but being an antagonistic teen, he likes to point out that I worship the "fat guy." Does his experience that creates his rebellious opinion deserve as much consideration as someone who is an atheist but is well studied in world religions? Atheists run the gamut like anyone else. Some of them are atheist because it sounds good and it means attention. Others are atheist after a long, extensive religious investigation. Some atheists I know, know more about Buddhism than I do. How they view it influences their opinion on it. Some don't see it as a religion. Many atheists (that I know) mostly mean theistic/Abrahambic religions when they call out religion on a general basis. Some of them post things on FB and I'll bring up something, and knowing I am a Buddhist they will say "well I'm not talking about your religion, that's not the same." A lot of the time they are referencing Christianity alone while lumping it under the umbrella of "religion."

AjeevakDharmana
  • Does it come with choice of cheeses?

Zenshinsilver
  • @AjeevakDharmana said:
    **I have heard that Christians and even some atheists complain that normally atheists do not bash Buddhism and sometimes even present it in positive light..... Quite contrary to how they treat major theistic religions. Is it true? **

Why wouldn't it be true? Since Buddhism is non-theistic, there's nothing for atheists to bash, at least--on a superficial level. Someone should ask those atheists what they think of rebirth. Or, on second thought....maybe they shouldn't. :grin: