Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking for some specific movies

howhow Veteran Veteran

A spiritual community center where I sit, wants to start having a movie night.
I was asked for movie suggestions but since they blanched at my idea of "The adventures of Buckaroo Banzai", I said I'd ask you folks for what your spiritual favorites were.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I'd suggest Powder but make sure they know it's not about drugs, lol.

howWalker
  • BarahBarah Veteran
    edited November 2015

Baraka

Samsara

RodrigohowInvincible_summer
  • the dhamma brothers
    ink
    pi
    the neverending story
    babettes feast
    groundhog day
    its a wonderful life
    life of brian
    bronson

howBunks
  • Here is a list of the best spirutal movies, many good suggestions there :)

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055295356/

howWalkeryagr
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

"The Cup" and less enthusiastically, "Zen Noir"

howWalker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2015

@how said:
    I was asked for movie suggestions but since they blanched at my idea of "The adventures of Buckaroo Banzai"

I personally feel that is a far better suggestion than 'Zen Noir' and the usual suspects. However ...

'Kung Fu Hustle' is based on a story of chakra realignment. :p So that could be on the list.

I would also suggest, 'The Invasion' as I feel it has top tips on how the emotionally stilted ultra-spirituals behavour has already snatched some of us ... <3

howWalkerInvincible_summersova
  • Blade Runner
    Dead man walking
    The Master

• Kale4DayzKale4Dayz California Explorer

@Namada posted a list, which includes Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring as the top choice. I would recommend it also. Beautiful cinematography.

I also want to recommend Tokyo Story, a black and white 1953 Japanese film.
    "An elderly couple journey to Tokyo to visit their children and are confronted by indifference, ingratitude and selfishness. When the parents are packed off to a resort by their impatient children, the film deepens into an unbearably moving meditation on mortality."

Invincible_summersova
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Along with Baraka, it's successor Samsara (though it has some scenes people may find disturbing with regards to treatment of animals in factory farms).
    When the Iron Bird Flies
    Cloud Atlas
    The Life of Pi
    Unmistaken Child
    What Dreams May Come
    Kundun
    7 Years in Tibet
    Little Buddha
    Into Great Silence (this is excellent even though it's focus is Catholic monks)

howJeroen
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Green Mile
    Shawshank Redemption

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@silver : another great redemption story: CRASH (2004)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2015

The same filmmaker who made "The Cup" (Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, from Bhutan) also made "Travelers and Magicians". Another good one.

And yes, the Green Mile, absolutely!!

Bigsby123
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@Namada in Post #5 above posted: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055295356/
    I think though that a third of the movies listed there oughta be ousted from IMDB's list.
    Number 5, Life Is Beautiful, is a great movie, as are many others there listed...

WHY 1986's THE MISSION, with Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons didn't make the list is beyond me. With its wonderful home-grown South American Baroque music and its John Bunyanesque penitence, it portrays a rather otherworldly landscape. I'd say it belongs in the top ten of all time.

WalkerNamada
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I'm sure there are many animated films that would fit the bill...last night, the movie, All Dogs Go to Heaven popped into my mind...I always loved that one.

yagr
  • One of my favorite movies, and one not on the Namada's excellent list, is Circle of Iron (also released under the name The Silent Flute.

• A quirky show with a great cast that's quite insightful is 'i<3huckabees'.
    It's a kind of spiritual comedy.

Invincible_summersova
  • The Men Who Stare At Goats with George Clooney

Based on a controversial military strategy ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats

• How about a topical comedy about suicide bombers o:)

Four Lions

Tosh
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Ip man
    The prestige

sova
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited November 2015

Kundun - a drama-bio of the Dalai Lama up to the time of his flight from Tibet
    A Man For All Seasons - how Thomas More refused to compromise his religious principles for King Henry VIII, and lost his life over it
    The Crucible - another move (this one in Salem during the witchhunts) about staying loyal to truth and principles

for it is our life-choices that determine spirituality ... not our beliefs

rohit
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I really liked the film called One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

• inyoinyo Explorer

Princess Mononoke is my favorite.

sova
  • American Beauty...

sova
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited December 2015

"Amongst white clouds" a wonderful documentary about the hidden lives of China's forgotten Zen Buddhist hermit tradition.

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

The Love Guru is a solid Buddhist flick. ;)

• While most of us are easily taken in by sham behavour ...

'The Lobster' contains many tips for ultra spirituals of a certain Zen persuasion

... or it may be the other way around

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@bookworm said:> I really liked the film called One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Excellent film. I did a reading from it on my acting course years ago, the Indian character I think.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Nirvana said:> WHY 1986's THE MISSION, with Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons didn't make the list is beyond me.

Beautiful photography. I watched it again recently.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

Documentary about global warming. Will change the way you think ... maybe ...
    Cowspiracy. Basically us carnivores are the cause of untold suffering ...