Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you a Dharma snob?

I think I am. :3

Each of these things I think of as almost dharma or pretend dharma:

• New Age Buddhism
  • One trick ponies, one sadhana, mantra etc
  • Part time dharma
  • Follow the leader/teacher/head cabbage

My Dharma must be genuine because:

• I practice
    ... can not think of anything else I do. Oh yes, feel superior, oops failed again? :3

At the moment I am on solo retreat, so far my failures include:

• twisting my right knee through mindless yoga sitting
  • ravaging the emergency biscuit and chocolate stash (all chocolate gone)
  • eating carnivore fish, pig products and not feeling compassion
  • having two jukuzi type bubble (meditation) baths a day
  • using social media

May have to invoke Spaghetti Monster Buddha for empowerment ...

ZendoLord84BunksEarthninjaLionduckStraight_ManInvincible_summermmo

Comments

• ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited November 2015

My Dharma is bigger then yours.

It is true, for it is written by a long-time-dead-guy ,in the book of holy verses.
    Page 1, verse 192837129837192832.

You do not posses the awesome powers to summon the Spaghetti Monster Buddha, only members of MY Sangha can do that.

That is written also, somewere.

Invincible_summermmoyuneifique
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I do not to believe my brand of Buddhism is better than other brands of Buddhism. Superior, Name Brand Buddhism versus generic Buddhism or any such thing. But often find myself having such delusional thoughts as "If more people only practiced Buddhism the world would be so much better." For all I know it would be much worse.

All hail the Spaghetti Monster and its sidekick ChocolateAndBiscuits!

Bunksmmo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2015

@Lobster
    Dharma snob retreat blues.

If with each moment,
    a new being secedes the last,
    what then is a retreat
    outside our time's passage?
    Dharmic truth or folly
    and it's practitioner now past,
    leaves who to deal with
    all the carry on baggage?

Shoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2015

It can be a rewarding job, becoming a Dharma snob-practising the Dharma can improve the quality of Karma, and the perks are just great, once through the gate-less gate
    (So "I" have heard :)

• Indeed @how

I feel this baggage of nonsensical judgement, personal preference undervaluing peoples present. The idea of letting go is all very well until we evaluate, differentiate, attach to our folly or insight etc.

Yesterday I had to crawl around. Today my knee has healed. By the time dawn had finished this wake up display:

I was back to contemplating a fruitarian breakfast. However by the end of the day I was back on tuna and choccy cookies.

My intentions are so good. My resolve is weak. Hopefully I will throw it out altogether. Soon I will be in the enviable position of being able to judge myself as a dharmic failure ...

Maybe I can be a Taoist ...

Be kind guys, I haz lost the plot o:)

howBuddhadragon
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That is a truly breathtaking picture, lobbie. What did you say? ;)

• Sorry, I saw the picture and everything else disappeared without even a 'pop'.
    Just goes to show, the claw is mightier than the shell cracker. <3

Now where was I? Oh yes.

Me thimks we all be dharma snobs at one time er 'nother.. er 'nother.. er 'nother...

OK lobs, you not failure. You just human. Get right back up on that tricycle and go fer it!

Oh, and watch out for that hot chocolate and the dharma cookies. (snap fingers) That's right you did. :3

Glad to hear you've healed up. B)

Peace to all

robot
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Actually, I am inwardly pretty convinced everyone would benefit from contact with the Dharma.

Naturally, that is something I usually keep to myself, except when I meet my friends for coffee and there is this usual exchange on "Thank God for this...," "May God have mercy for that..."

Then I realize we all have our personal path to tread, and I must seem as biased and limited to them in their eyes as they are in mine.
    We all suffer from cognitive dissonance at some point and will inevitably ignore or deny anything that does not fit our beliefs.

DavidlobstermmoSuiseki7
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

May sound odd but in a way we are all living the dharma perfectly.

I certainly can be a dharma snob but I wouldn't stop loving anybody just because I see things differently.

silver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Part time dharma

How does part time Dharma work ?

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@karasti said:

If you take the core of what Buddhism is without the explanation around it, it's the same as the core of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Paganism and so many other things. You cannot tell them apart. If you were to take a test on what the core values of each religion were, you wouldn't be able to select which one focuses on kindness or compassion or helping the needy. Because they all are based on those things. Just some have kept their focus a bit better than others (based on what the leadership has been doing and how it's passed down).

The problem is, theistic religions also mandate faith in their respective deity/deities. It is kindness/compassion alongside being a subject to God. While of course practitioners of these faith traditions may be kind and compassionate people and act accordingly, that's not to say that the core of the religion is such. What's more, I think it varies wildly from denomination to denomination (to be a nitpicky brat :p ). For instance, I would not say that Protestant Christianity's core is kindness and compassion. It's having faith that humans are inherently sinful so that Jesus could save humanity from sin by being incarnated and dying on the cross and all that stuff. Sola fide, as the Lutherans put it - actions count for nothing. However, Catholics tend to have a longer history of helping the poor and needy (in addition to other things...).

WalkerVastmind
  • Thanks guys.

That pic is the Buddha who looked after me during my snobby retreat. She is wearing my mala, made of African necklace and Arabic zhikr beads.

I managed to do yoga and chi kung before meditating before her.

OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH

@Shoshin said:
    How does part time Dharma work?

Well my diet improved. I did not distract myself by watching any TV ... but used my Ipad extensively ... not much of a retreat but I have not been hard core for a while now ...

@DhammaDragon said:
    Then I realize we all have our personal path to tread, and I must seem as biased and limited to them in their eyes as they are in mine.
    We all suffer from cognitive dissonance at some point and will inevitably ignore or deny anything that does not fit our beliefs.

Indeed :3

As a bored again Buddhist ... eh born only once ... I will be prepared to relate in the vernacular of the anti-Buddha (a sort of baggage free aunty-Christ) ...

Beliefs are not much use to me personally. I prefer knowledge and skilful means. For me that is dharma no matter how weak ...

I like what @karasti had to say. Find the core is my plan ...

robot
  • ShimShim Veteran
    edited November 2015

I'm an ex dharma snob. Now I'm just a snob.

One can be snob about anything. Even about snobbiness itself.
    There has to be standards...

lobstersilver
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Be really happy you have the opportunity to do such amazing things with your life. Dharma practice, going on retreat -- even if it is a "luxury" -- is helping you (and the rest of us) become truer to our deepest condition.

Not to be stern, just sayin'! I love the dharma so much, it has truly changed my whole life. That said, it should never be a substitute for who you are in the world, it should be that which opens you up and lets you be a free human being.

@how Oh those heavy loads we carry so unnecessarily

@how if only the forest could take the quills from the porcupine...

(your poem was really beautiful and I wanted to reply in verse)

• @ourself said:
    May sound odd but in a way we are all living the dharma perfectly.

I certainly can be a dharma snob but I wouldn't stop loving anybody just because I see things differently.

Tee Hee!
    Now that I am back in the unreal world, I am thinking of who to love?
    Terrorists? Maybe tomorrow ... Too hard! Difficult family members? Too much trouble ...

My thoughts maybe? ... mmm now you are talking ...
    I may set up a shrine ...