Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metta

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I've often heard of metta being unconditional love for all beings.

In light of recent issues and the vague definition of "love" we can go by, would it be better described as an awareness of kinship?

Shoshin

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Why would you want to change the definition? People have been doing horrible things to each other since the beginning of time. If anything, recent events should be increasing our love and compassion for ALL beings.

sovaKundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@ourself said:

In light of recent issues and the vague definition of "love" we can go by, would it be better described as an awareness of kinship?

I 'think' I see where you're coming from...No doubt, subjectively we all have our take on what Metta means to us personally, and an awareness of kinship is as much an expression of an understanding of Metta as unconditional love is....They are the two sides of the same coin, equal in value, if spent wisely .....

DavidKundo
  • Maybe a tenderness?

David
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I guess in a sense Metta's true expression is more in an action as opposed to a thought

"A single pair of hands at work is worth more than a billion clasped in prayer"

DavidKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is not the first time such an incident has occurred...

In fact, the above account in Tony's post, is also referred to in this Wikipedia article.

David
  • @ourself said:

That is an ideal and may not be in our repertoire.

That I feel is attainable as an awareness. However do we feel kinship towards terrorists?

Personally I feel kinship towards the most depraved as well as the 'most deserving' innocents.

Our emotive response is complex. I am repulsed by bestial, hateful activity or if somone spills my ambrosia. It may be difficult to extend metta to anything more than our favourite cookie.

We have to start the metta ripple effect from somewhere ...
    http://www.mettainstitute.org/mettameditation.html

Today I was so grumpy, I could not even extend metta to my favourite doll ...

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Why would you want to change the definition?

It's not a matter of me wanting to change anything, just saying how it may make more sense to some and asking if anyone agrees.

People have been doing horrible things to each other since the beginning of time. If anything, recent events should be increasing our love and compassion for ALL beings.

And you think recognizing our kinship would somehow diminish this?

• @ourself @Bunks - you are dharmakins :p

and you both metta <3

In other words metta is a more intense form of kinship.

Be kind to each other - iz plan!

BunksDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@ourself said:

Perhaps I misunderstood your post - sorry.

lobsterdantepwDavid
  • It's important to know that unconditional does not mean nonreactive or sensitive to your true feelings. You might not experience a particular feeling that lights up the category of love as you expect it. Your very experience of having difficulty loving does not negate unconditional love because if you work with whatever is there that itself is the meaning of unconditional. Opening to whatever is there is the meaning of unconditional and it is not 'pass/fail'.

0student0David
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited November 2015

@ourself said:

"Love" or even the more common "loving-kindness" is, in my opinion, too strong a translation for metta. In Pali, metta is closely related to the word mitta -- which means "friend." Pema Chodron translates it as "unconditional friendliness," which I think is a pretty good approximation. Another good translation is "goodwill" -- it is wishing good for another being. Thanissaro Bhikku wrote a whole essay on this topic. In it, he quotes the Cunda Kammaraputta Sutta, in which is found the original intention of metta:

He bears no ill will and is not corrupt in the resolves of his heart. [He thinks,] 'May these beings be free from animosity, free from oppression, free from trouble, and may they look after themselves with ease!'

The phrase "free from animosity" is important. When we cultivate metta for someone, we wish for them to be free from hatred. In Buddhism, we recognize hatred as a form of suffering. The people who commit or wish heinous acts against their fellow human beings are entrenched in a living Hell. We wish for them to be free from Hell.

Bunkslobster0student0David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2015

@Bunks said:

Hey, no worries. You had me confused there for a minute but that's not hard to do these days.

@Jeffrey; I see what you mean but I wasn't really meaning it's a view for those who have problems with unconditional love, it is only meant to add another subtle layer.

But I'm just thinking out loud and hoping for input.

Non-separation comes with it an implied kinship and so I thought maybe a subtle reminder of the logic behind compassion within the Metta practice could give it more strength in trying times.

@Lobster;

I admit that yes, I do feel a kinship with every living being including the ones doing harm. If I had to kill a terrorist to stop them I would but I would not stop loving them and would do it with a heavy heart.

Of course I would have to be there on the scene and not be dropping bombs out of planes.

@Glow and @Tony_A_Simien;

I agree with both of your posts.

@Dhammika;

That's still my favorite poem of all time and I don't usually have favorites of anything.

Bunkslobster
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Why would you want to change the definition? People have been doing horrible things to each other since the beginning of time. If anything, recent events should be increasing our love and compassion for ALL beings.

Ah you jewel! You are so right