Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation case?

2»

Comments

• @SpinyNorman said:

@Vastmind said: The Buddhist term for rebirth in Pali is "punabbhava" which means "again existence". Buddhism sees rebirth not as the transmigration of a conscious entity but as the repeated occurrence of the process of existence. There is a continuity, a transmission of influence, a causal connection between one life and another. But there is no soul, no permanent entity which transmigrates from one life to another.'

Yes, to put it simply Buddhist rebirth is reincarnation without an atman ( soul ).

And of course then we're down the rabbit hole, with the question being, "What is it, then, being reborn or reincarnated? What is being transmitted?" In the end, there is nothing left to do but laugh.

Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

@Cinorjer said: And of course then we're down the rabbit hole, with the question being, "What is it, then, being reborn or reincarnated? What is being transmitted?" In the end, there is nothing left to do but laugh.

Spoken like a die-hard sceptic who only wishes to mock and dismiss.

The same questions arise whether one is talking about moment-to-moment, day-to-day or life-to-life.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2015

Oh lord....No one is mocking you...we're not laughing AT you or anyone else...it's just a Zen saying...

• @SpinyNorman said:

@Cinorjer said: And of course then we're down the rabbit hole, with the question being, "What is it, then, being reborn or reincarnated? What is being transmitted?" In the end, there is nothing left to do but laugh.

Spoken like a die-hard sceptic who only wishes to mock and dismiss.

The same questions arise whether one is talking about moment-to-moment, day-to-day or life-to-life.

No, Spiny I'm not mocking you. I apologize if it sounded like that. The "nothing left to do but laugh" is an old Zen saying that points to laughing at myself for going round and round eternally debating something that I will find the answer to in due time, when I experience death myself.