Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Half and Full Lotus?

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Ok...my name is raventheblue and I am just beginning to learn about Buddism. I am a catholic and I plan to stay catholic but I just want to add some Buddist influences...unlike Knight of Buddah (friend). I have one quick question of the full lotus...is this when you can put both feet on your hips? Please tell me I am true because if I am not...pain! I can sit in the half lotus for probably an hour or two...unlike Knight of Buddah (he can't do it for two minutes let alone for eight like we tried). The full lotus on the other hand I can barely do for fifteen minutes or so. That is my question...Knight of Buddah...all I have to say is wow. THANKS!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    hello raventheblue.... I'll let you into a little secret... I have been a Buddhist a long time, and I've never been able to do the lotus - half, full, in bud, in bloom, wilting, in seed or anything else!! Due to a spinal injury about four years ago, my 'sitting in formal posture' days are over. But it doesn't matter. you don't have to sit in a specific position, and it's not compulsory to adopt the lotus position. But Full Lotus IS both feet on opposite hips, so you can see the soles of your feet, yes. Half-Lotus is one foot on the opposite hip, the other tucked under the opposite leg.
    Welcome to our sangha. Nice to have you drop in. Any friend of Knight's is a friend of ours....! :)
  • edited June 2005
    thanks you have enlightened me in this question. i never knew i was this flexible....but one thing is a problem...it hurts so much after...i can barely walk. thanks!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    never try to adopt the position without doing some gentle stretches first... flex and pull the knees up to your chest, do a few squats, stretch and move the legs to warm the muscles.... this will probably help. Good Luck!
  • edited June 2005
    Excuse me, Raven! I can sit half-lotus for over 10 minutes now thanks to my rigorous exercise program. And that's with a sprained toe and a wart on my foot too. I can't wait to get the wart cut off so I can start martial arts.
    edited June 2005
    Knight.... on a scale of one to ten, that's fifteen times more information that we needed, actually...... :lol:
  • edited June 2005
    now you can...
  • edited June 2005
    Position is not important, IMHO. I have a bad knee, so I use a Japanese style bench. Or you can stick a big pillow under your butt.