Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do I Know If I'm Enlightened ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited December 2015 in General Banter

Well now we know......Or do we ?

lobster

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

When it is realised that there is no more separate things or events. There never was any.
    All lines fall away, there is no more boundaries between anything, including you and me.
    My opinion is no more important or less than yours.
    The only place we exist is in thought. Thoughts are seen to attempt to divide everything into separate things and bits. But never believed again.
    There is no space, and time. All of this is thought.
    A spontaneous flowing of life, nobody doing or not doing anything.
    The awe rips all ideas you've had apart as well as you. It's like dying as you slowly realise you never existed. Only this dance.
    Nobody realised anything, nothing was attained. Somehow the brain sees through it's greatest survival tool. "You"
    You never did anything to bring it about. Because you were always just a beautiful story believed in.

<3 some words I've gathered.

0student0ShoshinBuddhadragonsova
  • You could research what enlightenment is and compare and see if that is you. Do you believe enlightenment ever existed?

Shoshin
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

TERRIFIC second video, @Shoshin! Very nice! I thought the first one spooky and suspect, and will listen to the third one later. (Eckhart Tolle also spooks me.)

Again, as others have suggested, perhaps it's the question of What Enlightenment Is that is more pertinent here than the awkward egoistical ones that seem to fly in the face of the very concept of enlightenment. Speaking of the second video and Sri Ramakrishna, that Saint once said that an enlightened person would not grow two horns [of conceit], but would always be deeply concerned for the well-being of all.

Shoshin
  • Thanks @Shoshin

Great understandings, clarity and insights from the vids. They key points for me:

• You know. No doubt.
    • The difficulty of transmission and being understood.
    • The reduction of processing and labelling.

Here is the seal of approval from my meditation cushion ...

EarthninjaShoshinBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @Shoshin! Great video's.

Happy Summer Solstice for yesterday btw. I watched the last rays of light disappear in the West at about 9.45pm and the first rays this morning at around 5am.

A beautiful time of year........

VastmindShoshinWalkerlobster
  • How Do I Know If I'm Enlightened ?

If you have to ask, you 'ain't'
    Paraphrasing from a certain cold war satire:
    Stop worrying and love the voyage

Peace to all

Shoshinupekka
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Thanks @Shoshin! Great video's.

Happy Summer Solstice for yesterday btw. I watched the last rays of light disappear in the West at about 9.45pm and the first rays this morning at around 5am.

A beautiful time of year........

Happy Summer Solstice back at ya for yesterday :)...Yes it is a nice time of year :)

edited December 2015

@how said:

@Shoshin
    How Do I Know If I'm Enlightened ?

You could start by not trying to equate "I" with "enlightenment"
    or by letting go of all interest in the asking of such a question!

But @how there's an "i" in Enl"I"ghtenment ....However no "I" can be found in Awareness...Thus "I" have heard :wink:

I should add, tis just a play on words and letters nothing serious :)

• I forgot to add - Interesting videos..

• @Shoshin said:

But @how there's an "i" in Enl"I"ghtenment ....However no "I" can be found in Awareness...

in Awareness there is Arahant and Wisdom

Thus "I" have heard :wink:

Thusness is Thathagatha

Enlightenment or Enlightened

each letter has a specific meaning

• @Earthninja said:

One should be very careful about this kind of relativism. If someone is harming another, should be just say, "Oh well, their opinion that it's ok to hurt or assault someone is just as valid as my opinion that that is wrong, so I'll just shrug and walk away from the scene, and do nothing"? The Buddha taught that we should speak up about wrong-doing, and he clearly delineated non-virtuous acts from virtuous ones. Virtue was a cornerstone of his teachings. If his opinion was no more important than anyone else's, then he and his disciples were all wasting their time, and so are we, to follow his teachings.

@Dakini said:

@Earthninja said:

One should be very careful about this kind of relativism. If someone is harming another, should be just say, "Oh well, their opinion that it's ok to hurt or assault someone is just as valid as my opinion that that is wrong, so I'll just shrug and walk away from the scene, and do nothing"? The Buddha taught that we should speak up about wrong-doing, and he clearly delineated non-virtuous acts from virtuous ones. Virtue was a cornerstone of his teachings. If his opinion was no more important than anyone else's, then he and his disciples were all wasting their time, and so are we, to follow his teachings.

It's not like that at all. :) it's all a play of life.
    Everything is happening spontaneously, so if I agree or disagree. That will happen as it does. No one doing any of it.

You, me, Buddha, opinions, all just flowing thoughts. There really is no control. It's beautiful.

upekka
  • If you can see with a "stainless dhamma eye", as it is written in the suttas, which probably means to see the dhamma without any obstructing kilesas or defilement, I believe this would be one thing that would be observable for starters.

Dakini
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

^^^ Outstanding @Jeffrey
    It must be Christmas B) Many thanks.

Here is a direct link to the video teachings
    http://wayoflight.net/Teachings.php

• BTW I don't know if any of that (my post) is true and I just posted it as an example of a description of enlightenment.

Earthninjalobsterupekka
  • @FoibleFull said:
    I need to add ... I am NOT enlightened. But I no longer try to measure myself ... nor even my teachers. I just know that change happens over time.

Integrity of ones knowing and certainty. That same knowing and certainty exists for the enlightened.
    As close as a blink missed and gone beyond ... as far as I know ...

Change happens, no doubt. No change, nothing happens ...

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

But, @DhammaDragon, the problem is that too many people are Greedy for more than their share. And spiritual greed is the worst kind of greed.

Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    I always wonder why some people are in such a hurry to attain Enlightenment.
    Or strive to describe it.
    Or attempt to explain it.
    Why just not sit back and enjoy the ride?
    Some wise Zen master once said:
    "If you don't understand, the world is just as it is. If you understand, the world is just as it is."
    Why not just simply... flow with what is?

I agree but then sometimes trying to figure it out is part of the fun. I think the problems arise when we actually invest and identify with our ideas of what enlightenment is or isn't.

upekkaVastmind
  • @DhammaDragon said:
    Or strive to describe it.
    Or attempt to explain it.
    Why just not sit back and enjoy the ride?

when people experience 'truth in this world' for the first time they want to tell 'that' to others because their hearts become full of compassion for others who do not see 'what is obvious to them from the moment they saw 'Truth in this world'
    and
    sometime they 'think' (specially those who have no knowledge of Buddha's Teaching) they are fully Enlightened
    but they are just awaken to the Truth only (at this point their view become Right View)
    instead what happened is they are awaken to the Truth (the first stage of Enlightenment, namely Stream-winner)
    they need to live with the awaken mind for a period of time to become fully awakened (they have to go through other three stages, namely Once returner, Non returner and Arahant (Full Enlightenment) - those who read, heard Buddha's Teaching know what happened to them
    others think they are Enlightened but they are just awakened to the Truth only

Some wise Zen master once said:
    "If you don't understand, the world is just as it is. If you understand, the world is just as it is."
    Why not just simply... flow with what is?

because they want to tell other people 'Truth' is different than the 'truth' and they want to help others to see the difference

lobster

'Everything evolves' will come to mean 'nothing is true' !
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

• Good post @upekka.

What you have said is exactly right.
    There are increasing depths of realisation ...

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

Except that everything evolves.

I don't think he thought that one through.

upekkaEarthninjaShoshin

@ourself said:

@Shoshin said:
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

So nothing is true :wink:

• Perhaps hot cocoa on a cold winter's night. <3
    Depends on definition of 'True'. ;) (or not)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The classic definition of enlightenment in the suttas is freedom from craving, aversion and delusion. So if you have any of those left you're not enlightened. So there. ;)

howlobster

@Lionduck said:
    Perhaps hot cocoa on a cold winter's night. <3
    Depends on definition of 'True'. ;) (or not)

No need for definition...My truth is the only truth, all other so called truths are of course lies...and an't that the truth :wink:

Nobody has ever attained enlightenment - Tony Parsons

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

Maybe because they realize that death is literally one breath away and you may not have much time left. You may only have a couple days! The zen masters of old considered a sense of urgency in such matters to be a very good thing. Zen Master Dogen said the urgency should be as "when we realize our hair is on fire" and to "practice like your hair is on fire". It's considered skillful, at least in some zen traditions, to cultivate a sense of urgency.

Shoshinlobster
    edited December 2015

@Shoshin said:

@ourself said:

@Shoshin said:
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

So nothing is true :wink:

It would be more like everything is true.

If something doesn't change, it isn't real or true because everything evolves and there is no such thing as nothing.

• when we say 'everything' we refer to all that we know through our own eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body and mind

but

'seeing Dhamma' or Enlightened means 'go beyond everything'

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    When it is realised that there is no more separate things or events. There never was any.
    All lines fall away, there is no more boundaries between anything, including you and me.
    The only place we exist is in thought. Thoughts are seen to attempt to divide everything into separate things and bits. But never believed again.
    There is no space, and time. All of this is thought.
    A spontaneous flowing of life, nobody doing or not doing anything.
    The awe rips all ideas you've had apart as well as you. It's like dying as you slowly realise you never existed. Only this dance.
    Nobody realised anything, nothing was attained. Somehow the brain sees through it's greatest survival tool. "You"
    You never did anything to bring it about. Because you were always just a beautiful story believed in.

<3 some words I've gathered.

words that shoot straight to the heart, @Earthninja ! spontaneous play like pinwheels in the sunshine...

upekkaEarthninja

@ourself said:

and there is no such thing as nothing.

Is that true ??? :lol:

• ashwinashwin chennai Explorer

if you are enlightened you would not ponder on this question or ask it,that is how you know you are enlightened.

Shoshinupekka

@ourself said:

If something doesn't change, it isn't real or true because everything evolves and there is no such thing as nothing.

there is only nothing. There is no such thing as a thing.

• @Earthninja said:

@ourself said:

How can you have no thing without having a thing to have none of?

@Shoshin said:

@ourself said:

and there is no such thing as nothing.

Is that true ??? :lol:

Unless we subscribe to magical thinking I don't see how it couldn't be.

@Earthninja said:

@ourself said:

I can show you a ball or a leaf. They may be process rather than static things but they can be shown.

Nothing is just a concept.

@robot said:

Because it's all a hologram, there appears thingness. But you can't find any separation, because there isn't any! Awesome.

@ourself said:

I can show you a ball or a leaf. They may be process rather than static things but they can be shown.

No, a ball or a leaf is a concept. And a you, showing me something is a concept.
    Nothing is a word that points to no-thing!
    Closest word I can find to describing this...<3
    Somewhere between nothing and everything, I prefer nothing.

• robot that's what Nagarjuna said too.

Mu

EarthninjaShoshinWalker
    edited December 2015

@Earthninja said:

@robot said:

Because it's all a hologram, there appears thingness. But you can't find any separation, because there isn't any! Awesome.

Nothing means there is no hologram.

@ourself said:

No, a ball or a leaf is a concept. And a you, showing me something is a concept.
    Nothing is a word that points to no-thing!
    Closest word I can find to describing this...<3
    Somewhere between nothing and everything, I prefer nothing.

Logically, you wouldn't know nothing even if you witnessed nothing.

Nothing is a word that points to the lack of absolutely anything including an illusion or hologram.

It is an impossibility because if there was ever nothing, there was no potential to be tricked into thinking there was something.

Not-a-thing or no-thing points to how things as we see them are really action (verbs rather than nouns) not that they are a hologram.

• Anytime you are asserting existence or non existence, it's not the middle way.
    Nagarjuna will shread your position.

David

@ourself no-thing , nothing. Same thing, they are no thing. Haha. Words words words. All pointing at nothing. :p

Ok @robot let me talk to nargarjuna. Oh wait, he doesn't exist.
    Jokes mate! :p I know what you are saying. I'm just playing with words. Like I said.
    Somewhere between everything and nothing. Nothing is a better word.
    Because can we ever find a separate thing?
    We can only find nothing. It's incredible

robotShoshin

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Earthninja said: I prefer nothing.

Maybe we should approach this with Zen don't know mind...

WalkerEarthninjaCinorjer