Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to join a monastery?

ashwinashwin chennai Explorer

guys tell me how to join any monastery,how to become a disciple?should i pay a fee for learning?and where to look for buddhist meditation,because there are lot of scammers and frauds out there.i want to know to learn from a monk.

Comments

• have you looked in your area? for a fee on one hand we don't want Dharma for dollars but on the other hand if you took piano lessons or kung fu lessons then you would be paying something.

Do you homework on guru in your area. I wouldn't start out with thinking about being a monk in a monastery.

You can find some videos about meditation but being totally a part of a sangha is better than a few odd videos.

here is my teacher:

I checked her out and she is of an approved lineage in Tibetan Buddhism.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

@ashwin said:
    guys tell me how to join any monastery,how to become a disciple?should i pay a fee for learning?and where to look for buddhist meditation,because there are lot of scammers and frauds out there.i want to know to learn from a monk.

If you can direct me to the scammers and frauds I will be happy to take them to the (mind) cleaners, hell realms or dharma police as a special treat ... o:)

However ... first of all welcome. <3

Monks write books, provide videos and web pages on meditation. That would be a start.

Even useless, troublesome, heretical Buddhists like me read and provide info on meditation ...
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2014/11/06

Gently does it ... B)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@ashwin said:

@ashwin How long have you been practising Buddhism? What lineage are you following? Which teachings have brought you to the conclusion that you wish to ordain?
    What do you aim to tell your family?
    There are many things you will be expected to abandon, give up, sacrifice and turn your back on completely....
    Of course, you will gain far more than you lose....

We are blessed and fortunate to have a resident monk here who has taken us through the process of practice, preparation and ordination over the years. I would say it has taken him a good 5 years to achieve and accomplish his goal.

If you could give us some idea of your progress so far, that would help - both us, and you.

Why specifically, do you feel this Path is absolutely the one for you?

• @federica said:

@ashwin said:

@ashwin How long have you been practising Buddhism? What lineage are you following? Which teachings have brought you to the conclusion that you wish to ordain?
    What do you aim to tell your family?
    There are many things you will be expected to abandon, give up, sacrifice and turn your back on completely....
    Of course, you will gain far more than you lose....

We are blessed and fortunate to have a resident monk here who has taken us through the process of practice, preparation and ordination over the years. I would say it has taken him a good 5 years to achieve and accomplish his goal.

If you could give us some idea of your progress so far, that would help - both us, and you.

Why specifically, do you feel this Path is absolutely the one for you?

5 years to attain enlightenment??

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, 5 years to achieve ordination.
    Enlightenment is not the Goal. The Goal is to understand, and transcend suffering.
    Enlightenment is a Bonus, not a Goal.....

mmoDavid
  • ashwinashwin chennai Explorer

@federica i chose this path in order to attain enlightenment,freedom is a free pass for every human born in this planet but humans associate themselves with material possession and consider those things as greatness and in the process end up losing freedom and become slaves to material possession and senses.they get imprisoned within the walls of stability and protection that they themselves built.every one of them say that achieving greatness is the absolute goal,greatness as in fame or wealth,while some of them say they want a beautiful wife,children and well settled life.but i am sure if i ask them again after 10 years their reply would be something else,because desire keeps on changing and improving and they believe external wealth is enough to satisfy them,thus continue in their pursuit of happiness.i want the same things they want,ie happiness but not interested in their route.i was deeply influenced by meditation from hollywood films,i know that it is not impressive,but it is how i got to know about meditation.then i realised that i am incomplete person,that is why i want to learn meditation lessons.however i want to make sure that the path i take is sensible one,so i have not yet decided to become a monk,but i am willing to leave everything behind.but i do not have much to leave behind,so it must be easy for me,but i need a guide.can you help me?i am not a buddhist,am a hindu.and religion is not an issue for me since i dont see the face value of religions,am an atheist.i dont accept any hindu god or buddhist gods because i believe in goodness in humans as god.

@and friend,where are you from?i mean nationality?

Meditation is not necessary to be a complete person.
    "Letting go" of everything, is necessary, including this idea of gods, religion, and including the need to be a complete person.
    You are already what you want to be.

Why does where I am from, matter?
    Nationalities are just another identity to drop, aren't they?
    If it helps, I am from the UK....

upekka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@ashwin said:i am not a buddhist,am a hindu.and religion is not an issue for me since i dont see the face value of religions,am an atheist.i dont accept any hindu god or buddhist gods because i believe in goodness in humans as god.

It sounds like you need to spend some time practising with Buddhists to see if it's what you're actually looking for. Visit some Buddhist temples or groups and see what you think.
    This site might be helpful: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

Walker
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2015

Enlightenment is a state of mind. Therefore, it is achieved WITHIN your mind, and the outer circumstances do not create it.

Monastic life has hard labour, material discomfort, and social factions/back-biting/pettiness .... so says my teacher who spent 30 years in a Buddhist monastery in Asia before being sent (at our request) to fill the gap left at our centre after our teacher died. Remember that until enlightenment (which supposedly takes many lifetimes) we are all "ignorant".
    The challenges of modern life are as good a medium for finding enlightenment as the challenge of monastic life. Which is why so many teachings begin with the advice "Start where you are".

As for finding a teacher, find a dharma group that supports a teacher ... usually this will be someone who has been practicing long enough to gain some skill and wisdom with Buddhism, they will have been assigned the task of teaching BY their own teacher (not self-appointed as a teacher), and usually they have spent 20+ years as a monk/nun in one of the Buddhist traditions. They are not all necessarily Asian.
    I suggest you look up dharma groups at buddhanet, which has been recommended to you already.

As for becoming a monk, the Theravadan tradition allows for temporary stays in the monastery (temporary vows). The Vajrayana tradition expects you to take teachings for 3-5 years before taking the vows. This is partially because once you DO take the vows, they are supposed to be life-long. And also because Buddhism goes through the same sort of infatuation that born-again Christians have, and that romantic love has ... you can be totally swept up in it ... for 1-3 years ... and then you lose interest (which is bad news if you have taken life-long vows).

Yes, expect to pay.
    Buildings, food, utilities, other costs ... these require money. Contribute. For practical reasons (to ensure the teacher/centre IS there tomorrow for you). Also for karmic reasons (you pay off your karmic indebtedness for receiving the teachings AS you take the teachings). And if you join a monastery, even there you work for your teachings ... sweeping, scrubbing floors, doing dishes, cooking, serving tea, etc. At some monasteries, you do some years as a servant before you even start to receive much in the way of instruction. Your monastery becomes your "parent" and your family, supporting you and also assigning your tasks and duties ... you do not choose the tasks you perform.

Since monks are not allowed to go out and take on a paying job, the monasteries rely on the goodwill and donations of the lay community, as well as the older monks performing ritual services for the lay population. Therefore, contribute as you are able, or as they request. Yes, some centres charge a fee for you to take lessons. The greater the expenses, the more they charge. In an ideal world, no one would need money, but in the real world, the teachers need a bed, a roof, and food.

WalkerupekkaBunks

@federica,i left the ideas of gods long time before.i asked your nationality because i wanted to know the extent to which buddhist teachings have spread.andso yes nationalities do not matter.but isnt the need to complete oneself the reason to take up buddhist teachings in first place,?being incomplete and acknowledging the fact is a good thing in my opinion.i accept buddha teachings as my guide,nothing more nothing less,i cannot accept him as my god or even aspire to be like him,i want to be myself and reach my full potential and am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve oneness with myself,can you guide me?help me on way through?

@federica,i think completing oneself is the reason why one would want to do meditation,dont you think?oneness can be achieved through meditation.

@spinynorman but there are no real centers in or near my place.can you suggest some not so famous place that tourists dont visit?

@FoibleFull yes of course,nothing comes free of cost and nothing can be achieving without exerting oneself,either physically or mentally.i do understand it,but i need to know about monasteries and how they take in students?should i just approach them and ask ?there are organisations now a days so sophesticated,many of them are bogus run by frauds,scammers,i am willing to pay my education through service,work.

• i found the best monastery in the world

do you want to join in

it is in my (your) own mind

@ashwin, it would be little trouble for you to travel to Dharamsala, where the Dalai Lama is currently established. I suggest you begin by investigating a visit there, and learn what you can.

@upekka said it is in my (your) own mind

My mind is crowded enough already, I don't want anyone else in it. ;)

upekkadantepwKundo

@federica,would they allow me in?and thanks

@federica @SpinyNorman ,we have to chat sometime

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@ashwin said:

Step one, go to monastery. Step two, if you like said monastery, keep going for a while, especially during morning and evening chanting and meditation sessions if you can. Step three, take refuge at said monastery, establishing the abbot as your teacher and yourself as a Buddhist.

i have been doing meditation again for 2 days and am consistent till 5 mins guys,but then my mind wavers,i mean in this 5 mins my mind wavers and should i watch the thoughts or again focus back my breathing?

@Jason do you know the fee structure?

@Jason do you know the fee structure in monasteries,am not a affluent person.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@ashwin said:

From my experience most monasteries will simply ask for donations.

Just give what you can afford to give.

If that is nothing then that's fine.

The best thing you can do for a teacher is to practice what they preach........

@ashwin said: i have been doing meditation again for 2 days and am consistent till 5 mins guys,but then my mind wavers,i mean in this 5 mins my mind wavers and should i watch the thoughts or again focus back my breathing?

Keep returning gently to the breath. It's not easy but with practice you will find it easier.

upekka
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2015

@ashwin said:

Nope, as each monastery is different. In the tradition I'm affiliated with, for example, the Thai Forest tradition of Ajahn Chah (Theravada) there are no fees. People simply give what they can whenever they can. I suggested visiting a few near you, see which one you like best, and ask them about it.

lobster

@ashwin said:
    @federica,would they allow me in?and thanks

I can't answer that. There are some things you can only directly investigate for yourself.....

i was walking for about 30 mins in a park and was doing vipasanna simultaneously,after about 15mins i felt goosebumps and i felt so powerful and it was really different,is it the effect of vipasanna or is it normal or is it the effect of vipasanna?

@federica hmm,how long have you been into buddhism?are you a monk>?in which moanstery?

20+ years.

No, I'm a woman.

There are female monks too.you are following which monastery.do u meditate?

I will answer questions regarding your own personal objectives. I see no reason or foundation to tell you anything about myself, irrelevant to this discussion.

It is however, abundantly clear that you know little or nothing about Buddhism as a dedicated daily practice, calling or vocation, and would suggest you carry out more research regarding your future for yourself.

If you seek ordination, you are a very long way off from achieving that objective as current things stand, in the state you are in, now.

@federica wow

Why 'wow'....?

Because I believe personal questions to be irrelevant and intrusive?
    Or because I confirmed that you are a long way off ordination? (You said as much yourself....)

Thirdly, you state that you care little for organised religion and do not dedicate yourself to gods, and you do not see 'the face value' of religion, but ordination means dedication, acceptance and continuous immersion in your practice, whatever that may entail.

Hence my assertion that you know little or nothing about Buddhism as a DEDICATED DAILY PRACTICE.

I really don't know what it is you seek, with regard to becoming, as you put it, 'a complete person'.

You fail to grasp that you already are.
    As the quotation goes, "If you cannot find peace, joy and Harmony, where you are right now - then where else do you expect to find it?"

If you seek something, start by appraising where you are right Now.

lobster

Excuse me,I can accept being ordained to rid of distractions of people and their lifestyle choices to practice meditation in a peaceful retreat and am completely stand by everything I said and if I join Buddhist monastery,it would be not because of religion,but because of my need to stay in control of myself in mind and body and move for enlightenment and knowledge of myself and complete realisation,I do not dedicate to any religion,but I will gladly take some practices that make some of them exceptional.if I were a monk I would not be performing or worshipping gods,it is in my first interaction I told u I cannot take any God or pray in their name.monks practice and preach knowledge in their practices,meditation is very important tool for my goal and that is the reason I said to u in my first interaction,I don't take up religions and gods simply I don't believe in them and I believe am God just like u r God just like the guy sitting next to me is a God and I don't believe in external gods.and Buddhism is about self realisation and path for knowledge and compassion,not for reaching God,but to make urself better and in no way they say that we pray to reach god, it is actually seen in Hinduism,in srimad bhagavatha particularly that u should not do idol worship and do not have to chat song or verses in praise of God,u just have to follow the path of knowledgeable and enlightenment and it has nothing to do with God but Hindus mostly forget what is actually told in some text and stick to idol worship and mindless chanting.I stand by every word I said and pls know that following God is different from following knowledge and self realisation.meditation is a branch for self realisation. If u still have doubts about what I am trying to say u have to relook everything.and I am clear of the facts i speak of.if u still r not getting it,fine.and as a follower of Buddhism know that compassion is important and I was trying to extend it to a conversation to exchange knowledge and ur personal info is not my concern but a bridge to share knowledge and communicate.compassion to a stranger or a family member,it is completely same.try to practice that first instead of getting uphill with people who u Meet online.and it is OK,u don't have to tell anything about urself,so don't reply and forget this conversation ever happened.I talk to people who talk consciously and truly and not just for name sake.nice meeting you.good luck

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It seems that most people who decide to be ordained usually spend time volunteering or visiting, first, before deciding to make that leap. Several that I have read about actually require it before accepting your desire to be ordained. There is a person here who has a thread about his experience, he went last year to live at a monastery and be ordained, he is still going through the process. His name is Jayantha and you can probably search and find his name to find the thread about his experience. I think his thread is called "A Student on the Path."

I find it interesting you would worry about being scammed. Trust yourself to guide you to the right teacher and/or monastery. Investigate them via meditation to determine if what they teach rings true.

I meditate daily, but have no desire to become a nun. I am married and have 3 children and so my options would be limited anyhow. But I do belong to a sangha and have a teacher and have found them quite valuable.

I'm not sure how long you have been into Buddhism,but it is really common for those newer to the tradition to desire to become ordained. Over time, you start to figure out whether that is your true path, or whether your path lies elsewhere. Don't rush into it.

lobsterVastmind

I am more interested in meditation that they teach,and it is not so much important for me to become a monk,but I need to have that atmosphere around me.

• @ashwin said:
    I am more interested in meditation that they teach,and it is not so much important for me to become a monk,but I need to have that atmosphere around me.

Why? Do they have special cushions? Holy farts? o:)

@ashwin said: I am more interested in meditation that they teach,and it is not so much important for me to become a monk,but I need to have that atmosphere around me.

Getting some meditation instruction would be a really good start. Some people try to learn it off the internet, which is not ideal.

lobster
  • KaldenYungdrungKaldenYungdrung Netherlands Explorer

@ashwin said:

To become a disciple start in Buddhism always with taking refuge in the:

• Buddha
    • Dharma
    • Sangha

Then you have to take the 10 commands as a basic ethic.

Further one does start with studying the Buddha Dhamma and ask for answers in the Sangha from which one is a member.

But realise that in the western Sangha are many non realised persons with a lot of emeotions. Sometimes are those places to avoid.......

But there are enough qualified Masters who give teachings and that you could follow without becoming a disciple of that Master.

After visiting many retreats / teachings etc. one can say , well that is my teacher.
    So investigations about one`s Master has to be done and fulfilled, then emancipation of the Mind is possible.

Furhter one should study Buddhist philosophy anyway and namely all there is.
    If one can understand these kinds of philosophies then one does know one`s level of understanding and accordingly one can chose for:

Theravada
    Mahayana
    Tantra yana
    Dzogchen

On the choice is based the related meditaional practice.

Best wishes
    KY

• I understand your point of view @ashwin , but why don't you take a meditation retreat first and see how it goes? :)

Ordination is a bit too extreme for a start IMHO

lobsterashwin

But I need a teacher

Check what your local options are.
    This site might be helpful: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

@karasti well,I have different plans I want to be immune to desire for material possessions and lust and if at all I have something close to desire it is for knowledge and enlightenment and I.am striving hard for it and yet I fail it every time.well u don't want to become a nun but becoming a monk is necessary for a person of my aim,

edited December 2015

There is nothing wrong with desire. It's fine to want a home, a sofa to sit on, a bed to sleep on, a table at which to eat, a bath and shower, soap, food, deodorant.... we all have needs and those needs are answered by responding healthily to desires.

The challenge comes when faced with having to part with such possessions.... To do so willingly, is one thing. To have them torn and taken from you is a harder challenge to face, but is in and of itself probably the finest lesson in detachment.

Being immune from desire is not necessary.
    Learning to detach is better.
    And wanting something, or desperately seeking a specific outcome or result, is a clinging attachment in itself.

Vastmind

@federica ,needs are different from wants,eat sleep resting place are needs,lust for newer gadgets,homes,women,wine,sexual thoughts are desires.life is possible without desires,being immune is important lesson in every humans life,if u have a desire for something,or have some needs special that is ur weakness,there are people out there who concentrate on ur weakness to bring u down,personally I have encountered such people.if in future I am bestowed some responsibility, I cannot afford weakness in me.it doesn't have to be the case I mentioned,however living without weakness has its own way

I think you need to read the sona sutta.

Samañña. ....There is a famous passage (in AN 6.55) where the Buddha reminds Sona Kolivisa — who had been over-exerting himself in the practice — that a lute sounds appealing only if the strings are neither too taut or too lax, but "evenly" tuned. This image would have special resonances with the Buddha's teaching on the middle way. It also adds meaning to the term samana — monk or contemplative — which the texts frequently mention as being derived from sama. The word samañña — "evenness," the quality of being in tune — also means the quality of being a contemplative: The true contemplative is always in tune with what is proper and good.

• @ashwin said:
    But I need a teacher

You don't know what you need.

So I will tell you:

You need to start making your way to the teacher. To do this you have to make efforts. The first effort is discipline and listening to those who are on the path. You need to study and show capacity to learn and begin practicing.

Any teacher who took you in your current condition would be a scammer or worse.

Now you know.
    What efforts are you capable of?

@federica ,is the same thing applicable to "over exerting" on the teachings of Buddha?u should know what u r implying is wrong,Buddha himself described his war with lust when beautiful apsara(deviputra maras illusion) was trying to get under his pants,if he just let it go thinking he should not "over exert"by concentrating,meditating,think what would have happened.u r misinterpreting the text.what he meant to say is don't over exert or don't try to do it as if world is going to end in a day and u have to learn it soon,learn it slowly and understand it fully.if u try to push it u will end up stressed up which is against the result of what he was trying to achieve.that is the implication.and I never said that I am going to learn it in a year or two and become the master of Buddhism,because that is not my goal to become a master, because I wish to be a student always ,to learn more instead of saturation and that is not the way peaceful state is achieved.I am fully aware that it is a long term progress and long term task.

@lobster that is what I said o need a teacher,u r requoting it,if I said I need a teacher it naturally means that I am going to follow the person in the same path(the teacher).what do u mean by what effort am I capable of?I can do anything taught to me,of course not instantly,but gradually I can adapt it.

This discussion has been closed.