Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to mop and other exciting tips

Yesterday my brother in law was left to mop the floor. It was a bit wet when we arrived.

Maybe he should use the 'kentucky mop' featured in the film 'Joy' and the method I use for a relatively clean floor, such as a Zendo, kitchen, dining area.

• Sweep floor
  • If available add cleaning fluid to mop bucket (make sure it is a mop bucket) tiny amount of washing up liquid is fine
  • Add boiling water - dries quickly
  • Squeeze out as much water as possible from mop head. Usually press down and twist.
  • Wipe floor fast.
  • Rinse out when mop dirty or too dry
  • Clean mop in boiling water
  • Store rinsed out mop upside using hole in mop bucket, will soon dry

Not a mop bucket but upside down storage allows any water to drain

Exciting cleaning tips?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Ammonia (and water) works as well/better and is a lot cheaper than the perfumed soaps/window cleaners with a big advertising budget.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

We like to use vinegar. It kind of stinks for a little bit but stuff is clean.

merx
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Wash floor then go over it with a dry mop, makes a huge difference. If you can find lemon essence, add a few drops to the was bucket, makes a lovely smell.

merx
  • I use the Libman's wonder mop. Plus a budget brand of pine scented cleaner.

silver
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

The method used by Japanese Soto Zen monks looks like it would be really hard on the back.

These are good. Especially when they come with an attractive operator......

Walkermerx
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Yes, I use Pine-Sol or cheaper knock-off, which is good for discouraging 6-legged diminutive guests. Lucky me, they seem to be in hibernation mode - the little darlins. ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Bleach everything in sight!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Something I love, but one of my friends hates, is those white Mr. Clean sponges -- I buy the cheap knock-offs because Mr. Clean wants too much money for them, but they clean things in a jiff that regular spray cleaners can't even begin to budge. Granted, they do fall apart pretty quickly and that's probly why he hates 'em - he probably has a death grip on 'em.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Bleach everything in sight!

Carbolic acid. Do it right.....

@lobster said: mop

You had a mop?! Sheer luxury! We had to lay on the floor in highly absorbent clothing and shuffle around.

lobsterWalkermerx
    edited December 2015

Having just spent a recent couple of days doing "last-minute-shopping," I believe I have come up with a new precept... or perhaps it's just a variation on a theme: If you don't own it you won't have to clean it. From priceless antique to outright rubbish ... consider the luxury of not owning it. :)

PS. Sorry. People with kids may not apply for this exemption.

lobster
  • Thanks guys.

I use a gtech cordless sweeper before mopping and on carpets, stairs etc. Very lightweight but at least as good as a lot of vacuum cleaners.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

Feeling a little guilty with my cat just snoozing all day, I bought her a Roomba for occasional company. Now with a press of a button, all my floors get cleaned while my cat gets exercise honing her stalking skills.

merx

all my floors get cleaned while my cat gets exercise honing her stalking skills.

@how -- Who wins the battle -- the cat or the Roomba?

Walkerlobstermerx
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2015

@genkaku said:
    Having just spent a recent couple of days doing "last-minute-shopping," I believe I have come up with a new precept... or perhaps it's just a variation on a theme: If you don't own it you won't have to clean it. From priceless antique to outright rubbish ... consider the luxury of not owning it. :)

I well remember shopping for a new bed for my youngest, in Ikea once, and the woman in front of us at the checkout queue had a trolley full of black ornate cast-iron candle-sticks, decorative woven cane animals, fluffy 'novelty' scatter cushions, and all the type of paraphernalia absolutely essential to creating the perfect domestic ambience...and I merely said "Ah yes, today's 'must-have' buys are tomorrow's car-boot sale essentials!"

The look she gave me could have stopped a 20-stone navvy in his tracks....

I use a moist chamois leather for all my wiping, dusting and cleaning. leaves no smears, uses no chemicals and leaves everything dusty-free and shiny, without (like a duster) simply transferring one load of dust from one place to another...
    Quentin Crisp DID say to never dust, as after 7 years, you can't tell the difference from one year to the next.....

But yes, hot water with a generous glug of vinegar is perfect for windows and glass.... apply with a clean cloth and wipe off and dry with a sheet of newspaper. Nothing on earth does it better.

Walkerlobster

I like the moist chamois idea a whole lot. Um...what's a navy? (cute, it wants to spell navy not nav-vy!)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2015

Are you aware that there's a film about mopping opening in theaters around the US this weekend? Called "Joy". (What else would you call a film about mopping? lol ) It's about the woman who invented the self-wringing mop, and her life/career trials and tribulations.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku
    @how -- Who wins the battle -- the cat or the Roomba?

Sometimes a feline ninja leaves enough hair around to stall the Roomba's motor into submission.
    Sometimes the Roomba gets a few more scratches across it's top when the cat gets tired of being herded.
    Perhaps it's a tie.

lobsterWalkermerxVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

@federica said:

I use a moist chamois leather for all my wiping, dusting and cleaning. leaves no smears, uses no chemicals and leaves everything dusty-free and shiny, without (like a duster) simply transferring one load of dust from one place to another...

Good tip. Many thanks. Water is one of my favourite cleaning fluids.

But yes, hot water with a generous glug of vinegar is perfect for windows and glass.... apply with a clean cloth and wipe off and dry with a sheet of newspaper. Nothing on earth does it better.

Try soaking several newspapers sheets quite damply into one or two newspaper sheets for a drier cleaner. Might not have to dry glass ...

Chemicals in kitchen ... yuk. 'Edible' kitchen wood polish, olive oil and lemon juice ...
    http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Furniture-Polish-Using-Olive-Oil

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The easiest way is to let the wife do it.... B)

lobstermerxVastmindShoshin
  • @Bunks said:

You iz bad! :p
    Glad to hear that traditional Oz values are not an obstacle to gender roles. What is the best way to clean the mans duties: yards, cars, concrete, drains that sort of thing ... ?

I use caustic soda (dangerous chemical, handle with care) for drains. I also have a set of rods for severe blocks, which happen less frequently now I regularly use cautic soda. The rods paid for themself in two blockage clearances. Before I used to hire them.

@Bunks said:

That's the way, cobber, meanwhile you can be giving full attention to the tinnies and roo steaks!

Bunks

@lobster said: I also have a set of rods for severe blocks, which happen less frequently now I regularly use cautic soda. The rods paid for themself in two blockage clearances. Before I used to hire them.

I bought a set of rods years ago, they have got me out of trouble many times! My flexible friends! I love my rods, though I hate to think of where they have been. ;)

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@silver said:
    I like the moist chamois idea a whole lot. Um...what's a navy? (cute, it wants to spell navy not nav-vy!)

A 'Navvy' was a hard-working, resilient and resolute manual labourer who did a lot of hard graft for very little money and even fewer rewards....

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2015

@Dakini said:
    Are you aware that there's a film about mopping opening in theaters around the US this weekend? Called "Joy". (What else would you call a film about mopping? lol ) It's about the woman who invented the self-wringing mop, and her life/career trials and tribulations.

That self wringing mop isn't worth a crap, the little steamer? Eh...my handheld iron does the same thing. The velvet covered hangers? Not that impressed. Jewelry boxes/rollups...nothing new...still not impressed. I think she just became extremely smart at marketing especially bec of how the whole QVC/HSN deals went down. And I hate to piss on her parade...but another example of making a bunch of cheap stuff to make another person rich. Home shopping channels are a demographic that's pretty easy to sell to. Just sayin'. Oh well...capitalism, at it's best.

@SpinyNorman said:

@lobster said: mop

You had a mop?! Sheer luxury! We had to lay on the floor in highly absorbent clothing and shuffle around.

Laughing for Truth! My all tile floors are mopped by two children with washcloths under their feet and I make racetrack lanes for them! hahahaha. Works every time!

lobsterWalker
  • @Vastmind said:

Laughing for Truth! My all tile floors are mopped by two children with washcloths under their feet and I make racetrack lanes for them!

How do you store these 'mopping children'. Do they require rinsing o:)

Good point. Cleaning is fun ... and can be practice.
    I used to play chanting whilst doing noisy vacuuming.

My cousin keeps her house spotless because she fears spiders. I love spiders, natural fly catchers ... mmm ... middle way cleaning ... ;)

Walker
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2015

@lobster said:

Good point. Cleaning is fun ... and can be practice.
    I used to play chanting whilst doing noisy vacuuming.

>

>

That's right. All the women I was/am around, turned on the music on Saturday morning, and we all cleaned house. Air guitar with the broom....singing into the duster....dancing from room to room picking up stuff...drumming on furniture. I can still remember my Roommate Jennifer and I blasting Mariah Carey's "Emotions" album and cleaning a 3 story house! Whaaaaat? Don't get me started...on the weekends, it's a house party/club cleaning situation goin' on...

Damn...do I do anything without music? lolololol...pray for me :mrgreen:

lobster
  • @lobster said:
    Exciting cleaning tips?

Meditation. Cleans upstairs. Very handy.

Vastmindlobster

Just the job....

WalkerVastmind