Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Amazing Atheist

For the last few days I have been watching and really enjoying his vids, I also agree with alot of his stuff until on a whim I decided to see what he thinks about Buddhism. I was quite shocked at what he had to say. He made a video about Buddhists being evil and also said the noble truths contradict each other. It did give me confidence though that it appeared he is rather clueless on Buddhism though as he started knocking reincarnation right off the bat and its quite wrong to think that's all Buddhism is about. Being Buddhist doesn't automatically mean you believe in reincarnation at all. He did make the argument against it though that many people do in saying there is more people on this earth now than there was in the past but I don't see how this disproves it at all, yes there is more people but reincarnation isnt just about humans becoming humans is it? (so I think). We could have been many animals before and I also heard somewhere that there is also less animals on this planet today than in the past so actually it makes complete sense. He also criticized how reaching nirvana is achieved by relinquishing ones attachment to materials and went on to say how if this was true then homeless people must be super happy. He believes in reincarnation though so my argument would be that hobos are clearly still attached to possessions and that's why they are unhappy, man does not need possessions though as we of course have lived without them for thousands of years, humans did not live in houses they lived in caves. What's stopping a homeless guy doing this? I would say Buddhism is a way a homeless person can actually gain happiness. Anyways have you seen this guy, what do you think? Sorry if I'm not very articulate.

Comments

• He also seems to have a very negative view on life, I did see another rather depressing video of his on being middle aged and how its just all downhill and all we have to look forward to is longing for the youth we have lost. Is this really how I'm supposed to look at life?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'd stop watching. He's obviously just projecting his own singular version of "My life is crap" onto those too stultified to take control of their own hang-ups....

lobstersilverKundo
  • @federica said:
    I'd stop watching. He's obviously just projecting his own singular version of "My life is crap" onto those too stultified to take control of their own hang-ups....

Yes. For once, when it came to Buddhism I saw no logic in his arguments. He said how meditation is about as much use as masturbation. He must not have done any research then as it has had many studies proving its validity. Then again it is a kinda old vid.

• you have watched the vid (seen) and it is past

if you think about it now you are deluded, have the thought that what you have seen is still there

if you go back to the vid then you will be seen the vid and think it is still the same old vid
    but it has already changed and you do not see the changing

what you have to do is
    stop thinking about it (stop talking about it), do not go back to watch it,

it is easier to said than done, but that is what we have to do

practicing meditation would help

if you can keep your mind on a good thought or on your breath there is no place for the thought of vid to come and stay and play the fool

so chose a meditation object (colour, circle object, ....or Buddha statue, or metta for others)
    meditate, meditate, meditate to calm your mind

train your mind not to think about rubish because our minds are very good at thinking about rubish

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Mingle said:
    He also seems to have a very negative view on life, I did see another rather depressing video of his on being middle aged and how its just all downhill and all we have to look forward to is longing for the youth we have lost. Is this really how I'm supposed to look at life?

@Mingle many people unfamiliar with the BuddhaDharma more often than not will see Buddhism as somewhat pessimystic seeing it as a load of mumbo jumbo crap that wants people to suffer for the sake of suffering ( it would seem the not so Amazing Atheist belongs in this group) ...

Perhaps you should re-visit (and perhaps a little meditating upon wouldn't go astray ) the 4NTs especially the second NT cause of suffering 'craving' (Tanha_)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to pass him by.

I'm generalizing here but in my experience, Atheists that use the word as a proud label are never as smart as they think they are.

lobster
  • @David Hmmm I would give him a watch. I mean up until I saw that vid I was with him, I guess that makes me a hypocrite though cause I don't mind him slandering other religions but when it gets to mine I'm all upset. I don't believe in avoiding something because it may hurt my beliefs so I watched it despite the title. I don't think he has a clue on Buddhism and is only viewing it on face value as I saw in another vid him describe Buddha as "some guy who sat in a cave for a few months". Anyone who has only even looked into Buddhism slightly will know Buddha became enlightened under a tree.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2015

It would be a waste of my time.

Too much negativity from an untenable position.

Agnostic seems the most logical position to me as I find Atheism as laughable as some religions.

• @David said:
    It would be a waste of my time.

Too much negativity from an untenable position.

Agnostic seems the most logical position to me as I find Atheism as laughable as some religions.

I agree. It is just as silly to claim there is no god as it is to claim there is one. No man can possibly know.

Davidlobster
  • Tee Hee.

I keep reminding dervishes that belief in Allah is Shirk or idolotary. Only God can know god, to know God is only by duality, in other words, subject and object.
    Iz I bad to them Sufi Bodhis?

Meanwhile a more knowledgeable atheist on Buddhism ...

BunksMingle
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Ah, Saint Dawkins, my hero! "Praise the absence of Lord!"

• @lobster said:
    Tee Hee.

I keep reminding dervishes that belief in Allah is Shirk or idolotary. Only God can know god, to know God is only by duality, in other words, subject and object.
    Iz I bad to them Sufi Bodhis?

Meanwhile a more knowledgeable atheist on Buddhism ...

Good ol Dawkins. Nice vid..