Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to utilize the time to move in spiritual direction?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited December 2015 in General Banter

hi all,

i am working in a private company, with office hours from 9 to 6, then coming to home by 7 and may be if needed working from 8 to 10 in evening. i have a wife and a 4 year old daughter.

so most of the time, i am either at my office or at home - both locations working in spiritual direction seems to be a problem.

the question is how to utilize the time to move in spiritual direction? if we are outside, then we might see some beggar and practice generosity, but outside office location and at home, beggars usually do not come. so most of the days just go by like that in daily routine of getting up, going to office, coming back to home and sleeping.

how to practice kindness and compassion and how to practice generosity in such daily routine activities?

any ideas/suggestions please. thanks in advance.

Wish you and your family a Happy New Year in advance.

Metta to you and all sentient beings.

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Practice mindfulness, you can do that anywhere, any time,

misecmisc1lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

how to practice kindness and compassion and how to practice generosity in such daily routine activities?

Mon Dieu!
    Ay Curumba.

Have you considered practicing kindness, compassion and generosity in your activities? Do you not have any understanding of what:

• kindness is
    • compassion is
    • generosity is

?

Just in case
    http://www.giyf.com

o:)

Happy New Year <3

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

How does one practice kindness and compassion and have heartfelt generosity in ones daily routine activities?

To me it's a question of daily self examination coupled with a real desire to give and receive love. A large part of that is to communicate ones positive thoughts whilst trying not to communicate the negative ones, except only in a very small circle of friends. Above all, never let the channels of communication be closed for sustained periods of time: That (silly pride) would keep the Flower enthroned on your Heart from producing fruit.

Breathe in Love, Breathe out Patience, and let the lungs be empty long enough to know the difference.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@misecmisc1 Wherever you go-There you are! meditation room/hall, shopping mall, work place...Have mind will travel

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

@misecmisc1
    How to practice kindness, compassion and generosity in daily routine activities?

As everyone here has already said...You only exist and are only ever capable of practicing in this present moment.
    Routine is just a word describing what we think we have already experienced before...but
    if misemisc1 is as constantly in flux as the rest of existence...how is that possible..

Only our attachments to our own ignorance obscures the novelty of each nano moment.

Each moment is simply as unique and as full of the potential to manifest kindness, compassion & generosity as we allow it to be.

Bunksmisecmisc1
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2015

Well, heaven knows that householder life and a family provide plenty of opportunities to practice patience. Also, smart compassion (the opposite of "idiot compassion", where one gives in to unreasonable demands or baby fussiness, or whatever, rather than taking the harder road to set standards and exercise leadership).

Are you able to maintain a meditation practice? One could do this on one's lunch period, or by taking a 20-minute break from the family after dinner, something like that.

Perhaps one could organize some kind of a philanthropic project at work, soliciting volunteers from among one's colleagues, or suggest to management establishing a fund or project to benefit some sector of the needy. Sometimes one needs to take some initiative and get creative to find a way to practice generosity.

Or, in a similar vein, you could join some kind of professional association for people in your field, and propose a charitable project, if they don't already have one.

lobstermisecmisc1
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

I think that outward works, just for the sake of "good works," do not bring one any closer to spiritual truth or fullness. Nay, good works must rather be based on good faith -on right understanding. Of course they go together; but no committee effort can be relied upon to help you spiritually. It has been said by many spiritual teachers that by helping others you really only help yourself. --Nonetheless, sometimes just a few kind words and an unprejudiced attitude is all anybody really needs from us.

the question is how to utilize the time to move in spiritual direction? if we are outside, then we might see some beggar [emphasis mine] and practice generosity, but outside office location and at home, _beggars usually do not come._ so most of the days just go by like that in daily routine of getting up, going to office, coming back to home and sleeping.

I dunno, but it seems to me anyone turns into a beggar when hard-pressed for things he needs. Therefore giving of yourself in kindness to others is a spiritual act of benevolence, sometimes even to a Beggar: Visiting with the lonely, friendless, persecuted, sick, etc --sharing of food and clothing and the like with those who need it worldwide.

Indeed just being confident and radiant and letting your light shine on the world through the beautiful smile you share for several seconds with others might be all those Beggars need right then and there!