Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Makes You Happy ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Well the most obvious answer on a Buddhist forum (in the long run that is) would be Dharma practice…

However in the conventional sense people tend to find short term peace of mind/happiness in simple things like a walk in the park, reading/getting lost in a good book, or it might be sharing something special with someone etc …

What do you do that gives you peace of mind ?

EarthninjayagrWalkerdantepw

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It makes me happy when news article writers shut down the comment sections of articles they know will bring out the worst in people!

I've been thinking a lot about happiness or joy and pleasure. I am working through Marie Kondo's book "The Japanese Art of Tidying" and that is part of the process. It has made me see more clearly the sick way Americans (in particular) are attached to their money,even long after it is spent. And even attached to how other people spend their money. We judge a lot of people and situations by whether we think they used their money wisely. It really is just...gross and icky. Most of the stuff we buy does not bring happiness or joy but they do bring fleeting pleasure. That's not necessarily bad of course,but letting go of those items when their pleasure has ceased is where we struggle. We insist on trying to assign a dollar value to items long after our pleasure in them has ceased. Ideally, we buy things that bring us a more long term joy (still understanding that happiness doesn't come from stuff). But learning what that is seems to require going through pleasure first, at least initially.

The funny things, the items that bring more joy are the ones that are easier to let go of it necessary. Kind of like relationships,when it was happy and fulfilling, it is easier to let it go and still be friends with the person and wish them well. Whereas unhealthy relationships,or attachments to items,make it harder to discard them out of guilt and resent. It's an interesting things.

Tidying my house and being sparsely surrounded by joyful items rather than mass produced junk makes me happy :)

ShoshinStingRay
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2016

@Lionduck said:
    Life.

Lived In Fulfilment Everyday ....Yes "I" like it :)

StingRay
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2016

@Shoshin said:
    Overall it's been another nice day all around :)

Tee Hee. Outstanding <3
    To think happiness is a state of processing ... who would have thought? (clue: Buddha)

ShoshinmerxStingRay
  • tintrantintran victoria bc canada Explorer

Reading the internet and playing around on the computer makes me happy! :pleased:

WalkerShoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The Dalai Lama on Happiness

StingRay