Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Patience & Tolerance

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Two beneficial things that practising the Dharma has lead 'me' to, is increased levels of 'patience & tolerance'....which in turn has lead to a more satisfying life...
Less of this
And more of this

"There is nothing at all
That does not become easier through practice.
Therefore, from accepting small problems
You will be able to bear great difficulties.!"

~Shantideva ~

Have you also found/are you finding this ?

WalkerVastmindBunkslobster

Comments

• Great observation @Shoshin.

In my practice, I have found this to be the case. As our awareness increases, our tolerance of ourselves and others also naturally increases.
    As we practice tolerance with forbearance we become more like what we endeavor to be.
    Small problems become like pebbles along the lake and big problems/difficulties become great opportunities. We come to treasure both the 'good' and the 'bad' in this regard.

Peace to all

ShoshinVastmindWalkerlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yes indeed.

I just received a call from my wife regarding a settlement date on the sale of our house. The buyers originally stated they'd be happy to bring the date forward but now it appears they may have changed their mind and may not. However, being summer holiday's here their lawyer's office is closed until next week so it's all up in the air.

Given we have agreed to a settlement date based on their comments with the seller of the house we bought (perhaps unwisely), this may cause us some issues!

I expect I would have suffered from sleepless nights in the past but impermanence has taught me to sit back more and go with the flow. It will sort it itself out one way or another and life will go on. In 3 months time I will have completely forgotten about it!

silverVastmindlobsterShoshin
  • @Shoshin said:
    ....which in turn has lead to a more satisfying life...

For whom? Just me again?

Something can be superficially true. No need to be satisfied with a carrot or a stick.

Being a happy bunny is a worthy first step. The question then becomes more subtle ... whether we have the patience to examine our karmic effect on others ...

Are we turning them into 'what the duck?' or 'eh ... wot's up ducks?'

Self satisfied life? Pah! o:)

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2016

@lobster said:

@Shoshin said:
    ....which in turn has lead to a more satisfying life...

For whom? Just me again?

Something can be superficially true. No need to be satisfied with a carrot or a stick.

Being a happy bunny is a worthy first step. The question then becomes more subtle ... whether we have the patience to examine our karmic effect on others ...

Are we turning them into 'what the duck?' or 'eh ... wot's up ducks?'

Self satisfied life? Pah! o:)

Tis all about patience & tolerance @lobster .

Thus I have heard that karmic patterns are quite 'intricate' and interwoven in nature...

Also bearing in mind (pun intended) that ones 'thoughts' too, are somewhat karmically inclined...

So by paying attention to ones intention ....with the ongoing development of patience and tolerance the well being of not only oneself but of others too will develop :) ....

The interwovenness of karma when practising the Dharma will start to show through in the little things we say and do....

Bunkslobster
  • @Shoshin said:
    Tis all about patience & tolerance @lobster .

In one ear and out the other. Satisfied no doubt. Patience. None. Tolerance. A little more than you have shown in the past.

Even though as always you speak the speak and walk the walk, your underlying motivation is still unsound. Just so you know @Shoshin o:) You never hear this message. Therefore you are intolerant. You never wait, you are therefore impatient. So the advice is good just something unheeded by yourself.

And now back to those still quacking like a duck. If you are indeed tolerant and patient try not to reply. (... no reply would be very satisfying no doubt ...) ;)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Be nice to everyone you meet today. It will make you feel saintly and virtuous, and furthermore, will make them far madder than anything you could possibly ever say to them".

(Lucy van Pelt, via C. M. Schulz.)

Shoshinlobster