Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

State of Buddhism

As we maybe know, those who like to think of themselves as 'The Elders' by implication and attitude sometimes adopt a superior stance. The Thera Vader side of the dharma force, like any religious or political certainty/hardening, maintain a correctional attitude.

In Buddhism currently the most militant, politicised and extremist dharma seems to come from the Theravada 'elders'. In some countries they are implementing a 'State of Buddhism'.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion

Are they tomorrow's supressive regime? Do we have to support a better class of elder such as Ajahn Chah?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Chah

Comments

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

The state religion of Bhutan is Vajrayana Buddhism. So it's not only Theravadins that are in the position of being state-sponsored.

I think that what's happened in Myanmar and Sri Lanka is unfortunate, but religion is not the only source of blame. The internal conflicts and suppression of minorities there also have roots in ethnic bigotry. The same is true in Ireland and Israel/Palestine. Yes, religious differences exist between groups, but there are also language and cultural differences as well.

lobsterrobotrohit
  • ^^^ Indeed.

Who can conveniently forget the 'Battle of the Five Lamas' ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Simtokha_Dzong

Do we in the West romanticise our dharma?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster just make sure you give Myanmar a wide berth if you decide to travel in this part of the world...

"A Kiwi jailed in Myanmar for insulting Buddha has been released from prison.
    Philip Blackwood, 32, a dual New Zealand British citizen, was sent to prison for two-and-a-half years of hard labour for insulting religion in March last year.
    He was jailed for posting a picture of Buddha wearing headphones to promote a bar he managed."

http://www.3news.co.nz/world/kiwi-released-from-myanmar-prison-2016012217#axzz3y2jRA2qV

lobster
  • It appears you are asking a rhetorical question @lobster.
    However, I think many in the West do tend to romanticise our dharma.
    Of course, we should not do so.
    Buddhism is great for showing us how to confront the vicissitudes of life. But, we must always be on the alert for those who would warp the teachings of peace and compassion to their own selfish and, sometimes deadly, purpose.

I am reminded of the exchange between Benjamin Franklin and a woman as he exited the American Constitutional Convention. It goes something like this:

"Mr. Franklin, what have you wrought us?"
    "A republic, madam, if you can keep it."

As the current political circus shows, we are still trying to keep it.

Buddhist practice is something that, in my often ignorant opinion, must be renewed every day. Each time we arrive at a golden castle and think we have finally made it, it vanishes in the morning mist and we find we must continue our journey. But don't forget to have some fun on the way.

Well, having once more made no sense, I bid you ado.

Peace to all

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

@lobster said: As we maybe know, those who like to think of themselves as 'The Elders' by implication and attitude sometimes adopt a superior stance.

Not that I have seen. You really seem to have it in for the Theravada, I'm getting tired of your sect-bashing.

We just had a thread about superiority and sectarianism, it seems you still haven't got it.

lobster
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Lionduck said:
    It appears you are asking a rhetorical question @lobster.
    However, I think many in the West do tend to romanticise our dharma.
    Of course, we should not do so.
    Buddhism is great for showing us how to confront the vicissitudes of life. But, we must always be on the alert for those who would warp the teachings of peace and compassion to their own selfish and, sometimes deadly, purpose.

I am reminded of the exchange between Benjamin Franklin and a woman as he exited the American Constitutional Convention. It goes something like this:

"Mr. Franklin, what have you wrought us?"
    "A republic, madam, if you can keep it."

As the current political circus shows, we are still trying to keep it.

Buddhist practice is something that, in my often ignorant opinion, must be renewed every day. Each time we arrive at a golden castle and think we have finally made it, it vanishes in the morning mist and we find we must continue our journey. But don't forget to have some fun on the way.

Well, having once more made no sense, I bid you ado.

Peace to all

Can someone use the Dharma for bad? I mean, I find it hard to use the teachings of compassion and patience, etc for bad intentions.

That, and the West does romantasize a lot. I'm not quote sure one hundred percent what that means. Though, I am a Westerner too; so, I dont know.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Time to let it go, @lobster, I think....

lobster
This discussion has been closed.